squirrelmail characters problems after upgrading ubuntu server from 12.04 to 12.10

squirrelmail characters problems after upgrading ubuntu server from 12.04 to 12.10

"Andrés Chandía"
Hi there, I resend this mail because I havn't been able to find a solution.

The problems arise after upgrading from ubuntu server 12.04 to 12.10:

All the arriving mails from sender which name has accents or other likely characters, do not display the sender, same hapens if character is in subject (subject is not diplayed), eventhough, if the body contains this kind of characters, these are seen with no problem.

At my address book all the names containing such characters desappeared, not the mail field, but only the name one, and it cannot be edited. I tried editing the "/var/lib/squirrelmail/data/[hidden email]", but the visualization results in strange characters, I've tried converting the file from iso-8859-1 to utf8, but nothing...

Another problem is that when answering, the original massage is erased if there is an accented character, and messages that are not html, erase the "lines" where there is a word with accented characters.!!!

any idea of what could be happening, any help?

thanks in advance....

_______________________
            andrés chandía
chandia.net
P No imprima innecesariamente. ¡Cuide el medio ambiente!
List address: [hidden email]
List archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.user

Re: squirrelmail characters problems after upgrading ubuntu server from 12.04 to 12.10

chris
Try setting $lossy_encoding to true in your config.php and see if it helps. If your server upgrade also upgraded PHP to version 5.4, then you're facing a very common problem, since currently SquirrelMail doesn't support PHP 5.4. But some patches are being actively developed (see the Squirrelmail site), so hopefully it will soon.

Re: squirrelmail characters problems after upgrading ubuntu server from 12.04 to 12.10

Paul Lesniewski
On Sat, Dec 8, 2012 at 2:43 AM, chris <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Try setting $lossy_encoding to true in your config.php and see if it helps.
> If your server upgrade also upgraded PHP to version 5.4, then you're facing
> a very common problem, since currently SquirrelMail doesn't support PHP 5.4.
> But some patches are being actively developed (see the Squirrelmail site),
> so hopefully it will soon.

Indeed.  Please try a 1.4.23-svn snapshot.

List address: [hidden email]
List archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.user