spurious can't connect error

Ross Bogue
First post to the list.

SquirrelMail 1.4.22 running on OSX Server 10.10.5.

I started seeing a new error this week.  If I compose a new message and
hit Send, the message is sent ok but I get the error message:

     Safari Can't Connect to the Server
     Safari can't open the page
"webmail.phy.ilstu.edu:34580/webmail/src/compose.php?mail_sent=yes"
     because Safari can't connect to the server "webmail.phy.ilstu.edu".

This just started this week.  It is doubtless connected to a minor OSX
Server update last weekend (OSX was unchanged, but Apple's Server.app
updated to version 5.0.3).  Compose.php looks ok, and hasn't changed
since I installed it long ago.

Is this a PHP config problem?  Any idea what Apple might have tweaked to
mess up a previously-working system?  Again, the mail does get sent, and
a copy does appear in my Sent folder, so I don't think any important
things are broken.  I just don't like alarming the users with spurious
messages.

RB

Re: spurious can't connect error

Paul Lesniewski
On 9/22/15, Ross Bogue <[hidden email]> wrote:

> First post to the list.
>
> SquirrelMail 1.4.22 running on OSX Server 10.10.5.
>
> I started seeing a new error this week.  If I compose a new message and
> hit Send, the message is sent ok but I get the error message:
>
>      Safari Can't Connect to the Server
>      Safari can't open the page
> "webmail.phy.ilstu.edu:34580/webmail/src/compose.php?mail_sent=yes"
>      because Safari can't connect to the server "webmail.phy.ilstu.edu".
>
> This just started this week.  It is doubtless connected to a minor OSX
> Server update last weekend (OSX was unchanged, but Apple's Server.app
> updated to version 5.0.3).  Compose.php looks ok, and hasn't changed
> since I installed it long ago.
>
> Is this a PHP config problem?  Any idea what Apple might have tweaked to
> mess up a previously-working system?  Again, the mail does get sent, and
> a copy does appear in my Sent folder, so I don't think any important
> things are broken.  I just don't like alarming the users with spurious
> messages.

I seem to remember someone reporting that many years ago, but I don't
remember the solution.  You should check the protocol of the redirect
link and whether or not it's the same.  In fact, double check that
every single thing about the address is the same up to the page name.
If you haven't already, you can also try manually setting the
$config_location_base.  Also, try other browsers, etc.