Quantcast

Why have an user mailing list?

André Z. D. A.
Why having a user mailing list if no one answer questions that are natural to be asked, have no answer or documentation about them, and probably show common problems to many users?

> [...]
>>> Request: FETCH (FLAGS UID RFC822.SIZE INTERNALDATE BODY.PEEK[HEADER.FIELDS (Date To Cc From Subject X-Priority Importance Priority Content-Type)])
>>> Informed reason: FETCH token is invalid
>>> ===============
>>>
>>> A configtest run on this install, right now, gives:
>>>
>>> ================================
>>> SquirrelMail configtest
>>>
>>> This script will try to check some aspects of your SquirrelMail configuration and point you to errors whereever it can find them. You need to go run conf.pl in the config/ directory first before you run this script.
>>> SquirrelMail version: 1.4.22
>>> Config file version: 1.4.0
>>> Config file last modified: 24 08 2015 02:31:37
>>>
>>> Checking PHP configuration...
>>> PHP version 5.3.13 OK.
>>> Running as me(123) / group(1000)
>>> display_errors: 1
>>> error_reporting: 22519
>>> variables_order OK: EGPCS.
>>> PHP extensions OK. Dynamic loading is enabled.
>>> Checking paths...
>>> Data dir OK.
>>> Attachment dir OK.
>>> Plugins OK.
>>> Themes OK.
>>> Default language OK.
>>> Base URL detected as: https://my.domain.name.com/~squirrel/path/src (location base autodetected)
>>> Checking outgoing mail service....
>>> SMTP server OK (220 carretel.grude.ufmg.br ESMTP Service (Lotus Domino Release 8.5.3FP6HF1016) ready at Mon, 24 Aug 2015 02:32:47 -0300)
>>> Checking IMAP service....
>>> IMAP server ready (* OK Domino IMAP4 Server Release 8.5.3FP6HF1016 ready Mon, 24 Aug 2015 02:32:47 -0300)
>>> Capabilities: * CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 AUTH=PLAIN LITERAL+ NAMESPACE QUOTA UIDPLUS
>>> Checking internationalization (i18n) settings...
>>> gettext - Gettext functions are available. On some systems you must have appropriate system locales compiled.
>>> mbstring - Mbstring functions are available.
>>> recode - Recode functions are unavailable.
>>> iconv - Iconv functions are available.
>>> timezone - Webmail users can change their time zone settings.
>>> Checking database functions...
>>> not using database functionality.
>>>
>>> Congratulations, your SquirrelMail setup looks fine to me!
>>>
>>> ================================
>>>
>>> So. What should I do?
>>>
>>> There are other problems with Squirrelmail that I never tried to fix, but might be related: in the message lists, clicking on date, subject, size or date, to sort messages with them gives an error that I could only fix by manually editing the Squirrel config file, removing this sort option. The error makes it impossible to reopen the folder where I clicked the option to unclick it. This is very bad because normal users of this Squirrel install cannot do this. I do it as the admin, but would't be much fun to do this everytime an user clicks on something simple that is there waiting.
>>>
>>> If more information is needed, please ask. Suggestions are also welcome.

List address: [hidden email]
List archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.user

Re: Why have an user mailing list?

On Thu, 17 Sep 2015 06:32:07 -0300
André Z. D. A. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Why having a user mailing list if no one answer questions that are natural
> to be asked, have no answer or documentation about them, and probably show
> common problems to many users?

Probably because the answer to your question isn't Squirrelmail related.  See
below.

> > Third try. Anyone around here can give me a bit of help, please?
> >
> >> Maybe I started this message with the wrong sentence. So I'm writing
> >> again - but assuming someone will read the original message as needed,
> >> because it has all details that I imagine are needed.
> >>
> >> As the admin of a few Squirrelmail installations, I have reports of users
> >> that can't search their messages; they are using specific IMAP servers.
> >> Squirrelmail shows a strange error (see original message), which does not
> >> point me to anything to solve the problem, or to find the solution. May
> >> you help me?
> >>
> >> Another problem is that clicking in the message list headers to choose
> >> what field for message sorting causes an very bad error. Users cannot
> >> refresh message lists anymore! There is no way for them to reset the
> >> configuration. I must manually remove the sort option from each user
> >> configuration file.
> >>
> >> With Squirrelmail configured for each of these different IMAP servers, I
> >> run its configtest. No problem is pointed (see original message). So, why
> >> do I have these and other problems?

From what I have read, via Google, Lotus Domino does not properly support
all the Fetch options you are sending to it.  This is a IMAP issue, not
Squirrelmail.  Please correct me if this is not true.  I do not use Domino, so
cannot answer with firsthand knowledge.    It is also why I did not answer the
first 2 times you sent this.

Switch to a Server program that properly supports IMAP.

List address: [hidden email]
List archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.user

Re: Why have an user mailing list?

Juergen Nickelsen
On 17.09.2015 11:32, André Z. D. A. wrote:
> Why having a user mailing list if no one answer questions that are natural to be asked, have no answer or documentation about them, and probably show common problems to many users?

I can understand that you are a bit miffed about not getting any help
with your issue. But as I read it, I thought "wow, this is special" and
had no idea how SquirrelMail can have such misunderstandings with an
IMAP server. And then it is Lotus Domino, with which I guess relatively
few SquirrelMail operators have experience.

So, yes, it's unfortunate, but I am afraid this is a case of "you get
what you pay for."

Regards, Juergen.

List address: [hidden email]
List archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.user

Re: Why have an user mailing list?

Dave McMurtrie
On Thu, 2015-09-17 at 06:32 -0300, André Z. D. A. wrote:

> Why having a user mailing list if no one answer questions that are natural to be asked, have no answer or documentation about them, and probably show common problems to many users?
>

> > Third try. Anyone around here can give me a bit of help, please?
> >
> >> Maybe I started this message with the wrong sentence. So I'm writing again - but assuming someone will read the original message as needed, because it has all details that I imagine are needed.
> >>
> >> As the admin of a few Squirrelmail installations, I have reports of users that can't search their messages; they are using specific IMAP servers. Squirrelmail shows a strange error (see original message), which does not point me to anything to solve the problem, or to find the solution. May you help me?
> >>
> >> Another problem is that clicking in the message list headers to choose what field for message sorting causes an very bad error. Users cannot refresh message lists anymore! There is no way for them to reset the configuration. I must manually remove the sort option from each user configuration file.
> >>
> >> With Squirrelmail configured for each of these different IMAP servers, I run its configtest. No problem is pointed (see original message). So, why do I have these and other problems?

That's not a valid FETCH command that Squirrelmail is sending.  It's not
including the sequence set (which messages to fetch those data items
for).

I assume that either your Domino server responded to a prior command
(LIST probably) with something that Squirrelmail wasn't expecting or
couldn't parse, or maybe there's just a very odd bug in Squirrelmail.

Is there any way to enable protocol logging on your Domino server so you
can see every command that's sent by Squirrelmail and every response
that Domino sends back?

hth,

Dave
List address: [hidden email]
List archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.user

Re: Why have an user mailing list?

André Z. D. A.
I have 3 Squirrelmail setup that use different IMAP and SMTP servers. These server are assured (and tested by me) to allow bigger file attachments, just to mention something I have just wrote about in another message here. If there is something wrong with the Lotus Domino server, shouldn't Squirrelmail point it to me, since it's using it? I'm missing documentation and/or pointers to solve some problems that I think don't need to exist.

"You get what you pay for". Maybe I'm opting for the wrong webmail client. There are others around. But it seems so simple, and I have known SM for years, and it does not have the problems I'm facing with it right now - but I did not see what people have made to solve them in the past, if they needed. SM is not an abandoned project either. So, why not?

And an user list is good to exist. But users are needed. And developers and other people involved with the deeper parts of its working should help when needed. Somewhere it is written: "Wait a few days for an answer". There is a problem I wrote here months ago, nothing followed that message. That is a bit disapointing. It didn't even need to be the solution, initially. But with my knowledge I cannot solve it, and in some aspects I know more than the average user should know, and this list name points that it is aimed for those.

> On 17.09.2015 11:32, André Z. D. A. wrote:
>
>> Why having a user mailing list if no one answer questions that are natural to be asked, have no answer or documentation about them, and probably show common problems to many users?
>
> I can understand that you are a bit miffed about not getting any help
> with your issue. But as I read it, I thought "wow, this is special" and
> had no idea how SquirrelMail can have such misunderstandings with an
> IMAP server. And then it is Lotus Domino, with which I guess relatively
> few SquirrelMail operators have experience.
>
> So, yes, it's unfortunate, but I am afraid this is a case of "you get
> what you pay for."
>
> Regards, Juergen.

> List address: [hidden email]
> List archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.user

List address: [hidden email]
List archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.user

Re: Why have an user mailing list?

André Z. D. A.

> On Thu, 2015-09-17 at 06:32 -0300, André Z. D. A. wrote:
>
>> Why having a user mailing list if no one answer questions that are natural to be asked, have no answer or documentation about them, and probably show common problems to many users?
>>
>>> Third try. Anyone around here can give me a bit of help, please?

> That's not a valid FETCH command that Squirrelmail is sending. It's not
> including the sequence set (which messages to fetch those data items
> for).

Really!? That's a surprise I would never think about.

> I assume that either your Domino server responded to a prior command
> (LIST probably) with something that Squirrelmail wasn't expecting or
> couldn't parse, or maybe there's just a very odd bug in Squirrelmail.

I can make most tests within my server (with Squirrelmail in). I just cannot make tests that are either expeting to log the servers (IMAP or SMTP) internally, because they are external and inaccessible directly by me or by the other Squirrelmail users. I can't imagine what a test could be, from SM. I can make a setup where I can alter squirrel source code to log each commands it sends. Would it be useful? And what should I look for, to log? And what information can be needed (I don't know protocol details, so I would need a help with this kind of things).

> Is there any way to enable protocol logging on your Domino server so you
> can see every command that's sent by Squirrelmail and every response
> that Domino sends back?

No. I cannot access the Domino server. As I said above, it's external. The setup to use this server was the last one I have made. Although I have other issues with other server too, I can search messages with them. For example, with Yahoo's IMAP server (imap.mail.yahoo.com) I can search, I did it now. The setup I have made to use this Domino server was initially a copy from Yahoo's setup; after copying I just changed some obviously needed details (like server configuration, and nothing more I can remember, if anything else).

If I patch every server action in Squirrel's functions, would it give useful information for you? With some help to what information is needed, or any needed details, I imagine this feasible without taking too much time.

List address: [hidden email]
List archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.user

On 17.09.2015 22:32, André Z. D. A. wrote:

> "You get what you pay for". Maybe I'm opting for the wrong webmail client.

"You get what you pay for" applies not only to the software, but also to
the support. You don't pay anyone (on this list, at least) for support,
so you are not entitled to a solution that works for you.

That doesn't mean there are no volunteers who would help if they could.
You have seen that Dave tried to help by pointing out that logging the
traffic between SquirrelMail and your IMAP server might be helpful? So
you are not in a situation where this is possible -- tough luck. Some
problems cannot be solved without closely looking at them.

[You might get a bit further, by the way, by letting SquirrelMail go
over an IMAP proxy to reach the Domino server and let the IMAP proxy log
the protocol traffic between both. The IMAP proxy distributed by the
SquirrelMail people can do protocol logging.[1]]

[1] http://squirrelmail.org/download.php#imap_proxy

This will be the same for any other webmail client. Maybe you can find
one that doesn't stumble over that particular problem, but with all open
source webmail systems you will encounter the same situation -- unless
you pay for support, it is unlikely that someone puts in hours to help you.

There is paid support for SquirrelMail available, by the way. See the
web site for details.

> And an user list is good to exist. But users are needed. And developers and other people involved with the deeper parts of its working should help when needed. Somewhere it is written: "Wait a few days for an answer". There is a problem I wrote here months ago, nothing followed that message. That is a bit disapointing. It didn't even need to be the solution, initially. But with my knowledge I cannot solve it, and in some aspects I know more than the average user should know, and this list name points that it is aimed for those.

There we are again. You are not entitled to *any* help from this list.
All free help you get is out of kindness, not out of any obligation.
And that there was none does not mean nobody looked at your question; I
know I did -- and had no idea.

The name of the list is a bit unfortunate indeed and has led to
misunderstandings in a few cases. On the SquirrelMail website it says:
"Despite its name, this list is intended for supporting administrators
and not end users."[2] Something like "squirrelmail operators" might be
clearer today, but the name is there as it is, and I suspect the
SquirrelMail people don't want to go through all the hassle to rename
it; as there are third-party archives involved, this is not a trivial task.

[2] http://squirrelmail.org/docs/admin/admin-12.html

Regards, Juergen.

On Thu, 2015-09-17 at 18:25 -0300, André Z. D. A. wrote:

> > On Thu, 2015-09-17 at 06:32 -0300, André Z. D. A. wrote:

...snipped for brevity...

> > That's not a valid FETCH command that Squirrelmail is sending. It's not
> > including the sequence set (which messages to fetch those data items
> > for).
>
> Really!? That's a surprise I would never think about.

Yes, it should be something like:

FETCH 1:* (FLAGS UID RFC822.SIZE INTERNALDATE...

> > I assume that either your Domino server responded to a prior command
> > (LIST probably) with something that Squirrelmail wasn't expecting or
> > couldn't parse, or maybe there's just a very odd bug in Squirrelmail.
>
> I can make most tests within my server (with Squirrelmail in). I just cannot make tests that are either expeting to log the servers (IMAP or SMTP) internally, because they are external and inaccessible directly by me or by the other Squirrelmail users. I can't imagine what a test could be, from SM. I can make a setup where I can alter squirrel source code to log each commands it sends. Would it be useful? And what should I look for, to log? And what information can be needed (I don't know protocol details, so I would need a help with this kind of things).

If you don't have access to the server, you could set up the
SquirrelMail imapproxy and use that to get protocol logs.  Or if it's a
test server you should be able to stick some debugging code into the
SquirrelMail source and figure out what's going on.

I think the above FETCH happens in the sqimap_get_small_header_list()
function in functions/imap_messages.php.  Figure out what the passed
value of $msg_list is and why $msgs_str ends up being a null string.

hth,

Dave

Re: Why have an user mailing list?

André Z. D. A.
Thanks a lot for these pointers, Dave!

In the server I use can do both thing you suggested: patch SM and use an imap proxy. I'll try these and in after I get some results I will write again (either to ask or to inform what I've found).

Thank you again, bye

> On Thu, 2015-09-17 at 18:25 -0300, André Z. D. A. wrote:
>
>>> On Thu, 2015-09-17 at 06:32 -0300, André Z. D. A. wrote:
>>>

> ...snipped for brevity...

>>> That's not a valid FETCH command that Squirrelmail is sending. It's not
>>> including the sequence set (which messages to fetch those data items
>>> for).
>>
>> Really!? That's a surprise I would never think about.
>
> Yes, it should be something like:
>
> FETCH 1:* (FLAGS UID RFC822.SIZE INTERNALDATE...
>
>>> I assume that either your Domino server responded to a prior command
>>> (LIST probably) with something that Squirrelmail wasn't expecting or
>>> couldn't parse, or maybe there's just a very odd bug in Squirrelmail.
>>
>> I can make most tests within my server (with Squirrelmail in). I just cannot make tests that are either expeting to log the servers (IMAP or SMTP) internally, because they are external and inaccessible directly by me or by the other Squirrelmail users. I can't imagine what a test could be, from SM. I can make a setup where I can alter squirrel source code to log each commands it sends. Would it be useful? And what should I look for, to log? And what information can be needed (I don't know protocol details, so I would need a help with this kind of things).
>
> If you don't have access to the server, you could set up the
> SquirrelMail imapproxy and use that to get protocol logs. Or if it's a
> test server you should be able to stick some debugging code into the
> SquirrelMail source and figure out what's going on.
>
> I think the above FETCH happens in the sqimap_get_small_header_list()
> function in functions/imap_messages.php. Figure out what the passed
> value of $msg_list is and why $msgs_str ends up being a null string.
>
> hth,
>
> Dave

Re: Why have an user mailing list?

André Z. D. A.
It is kind of hard to provide support, as an admin for these SM setups without having any documentation about some aspects, for me and for the users. "Oh, there is a list", some may say. Yes, there is. But... you know.

For example, the message filter. I have read and reread the documentation that exist. And it didn't work. I can't even be sure if it is some server problem, some configuration problem, or some user (me, specifically) problem. If I knew the problem, I would even contribute to make better documentation or anything that's being need. But when all of us keep silence about the problems we may not know, and don't take 5 or 10 minutes to say anything that has not got a good enough volunteer to solve, we make people that could help the project, as a whole, go away - both as users and as potential contributors.

> [...]
> And that there was none does not mean nobody looked at your question; I
> know I did -- and had no idea.
>
> The name of the list is a bit unfortunate indeed and has led to
> misunderstandings in a few cases. On the SquirrelMail website it says:
> "Despite its name, this list is intended for supporting administrators
> and not end users."[2] Something like "squirrelmail operators" might be
> clearer today, but the name is there as it is, and I suspect the
> SquirrelMail people don't want to go through all the hassle to rename
> it; as there are third-party archives involved, this is not a trivial task.
>
> [2] http://squirrelmail.org/docs/admin/admin-12.html
>
> Regards, Juergen.

Re: Why have an user mailing list?

André Z. D. A.
> Probably because the answer to your question isn't Squirrelmail related. See
(...)

> From what I have read, Lotus Domino does not properly support
> all the Fetch options you are sending to it.

All right. This is something acceptable, as a practical reality I did now know (naturally). And the fact that you knew and could have told the list before is something (even it not being the solution) I expected from a mailing list like this one.

> This is a IMAP issue, not
> Squirrelmail. Please correct me if this is not true. I do not use Domino, so
> cannot answer with firsthand knowledge. It is also why I did not answer the
> first 2 times you sent this.

This is not true, I disagree with you. If Squirrelmail knows that it is a Lotus Domino, and consequently, the server does not completely support IMAP functions, Squirrelmail should either: do nothing at all, telling the user the reason why this can't be done; or do it with in some alternative way, if possible (and it seems that it could be possible). Showing just the vague error message is similar to choose the worse possible option to deal with the problem.

As both an SM setup admin, and an user, I think that if you knew this issue (Lotus Domino and other servers limitations), then configtest MUST point the problem. Giving a 100% positive check is wrong, it is a problem in Squirrelmail.

> Switch to a Server program that properly supports IMAP.

Switching out from Domino is not an option. Some users *have* their accounts hosted in this server, and the only way to access it is using a client, web (like Squirrel) or some other kind, like Thunderbird or such.

If Lotus does not support these, how will Thunderbird behave with this IMAP server? What is the solution? I have used my account in this server with Thunderbird, and I have seen no problem at all.

> On Thu, 17 Sep 2015 06:32:07 -0300
> André Z. D. A. <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Why having a user mailing list if no one answer questions that are natural
>> to be asked, have no answer or documentation about them, and probably show
>> common problems to many users?
>
> Probably because the answer to your question isn't Squirrelmail related. See
> below.
>
>>> Third try. Anyone around here can give me a bit of help, please?

> From what I have read, via Google, Lotus Domino does not properly support
> all the Fetch options you are sending to it. This is a IMAP issue, not
> Squirrelmail. Please correct me if this is not true. I do not use Domino, so
> cannot answer with firsthand knowledge. It is also why I did not answer the
> first 2 times you sent this.

> Switch to a Server program that properly supports IMAP.

> List address: [hidden email]
> List archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.user

Re: Why have an user mailing list?

jhamelic
Wow!

How upsetting is this...A system administrator that can't look at their
own log files and figure out what is going on!  Squirrel is supposed to
tell them what is happening on their own system...That is the most
absurd thing I've ever heard!!!

Lotus notes would have generated errors...Squirrel would have generated
errors.

SquirrelMail does not know that it is talking to Lotus - It knows that
it is talking to a IMAP server, that's it...period!

If you are not the system administrator and don't have access to the log
files...you need to seek that person out...look at the log files for
both Lotus and Squirrel and figure out what is going on in your specific
environment!

Jim

On 9/20/2015 1:25 PM, André Z. D. A. wrote:

>> Probably because the answer to your question isn't Squirrelmail related. See
>> below.
> (...)
>
>>  From what I have read, Lotus Domino does not properly support
>> all the Fetch options you are sending to it.
> All right. This is something acceptable, as a practical reality I did now know (naturally). And the fact that you knew and could have told the list before is something (even it not being the solution) I expected from a mailing list like this one.
>
>> This is a IMAP issue, not
>> Squirrelmail. Please correct me if this is not true. I do not use Domino, so
>> cannot answer with firsthand knowledge. It is also why I did not answer the
>> first 2 times you sent this.
> This is not true, I disagree with you. If Squirrelmail knows that it is a Lotus Domino, and consequently, the server does not completely support IMAP functions, Squirrelmail should either: do nothing at all, telling the user the reason why this can't be done; or do it with in some alternative way, if possible (and it seems that it could be possible). Showing just the vague error message is similar to choose the worse possible option to deal with the problem.
>
> As both an SM setup admin, and an user, I think that if you knew this issue (Lotus Domino and other servers limitations), then configtest MUST point the problem. Giving a 100% positive check is wrong, it is a problem in Squirrelmail.
>

>> Switch to a Server program that properly supports IMAP.
>>
> Switching out from Domino is not an option. Some users *have* their accounts hosted in this server, and the only way to access it is using a client, web (like Squirrel) or some other kind, like Thunderbird or such.
>
> If Lotus does not support these, how will Thunderbird behave with this IMAP server? What is the solution? I have used my account in this server with Thunderbird, and I have seen no problem at all.
>

>> On Thu, 17 Sep 2015 06:32:07 -0300
>> André Z. D. A. <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Why having a user mailing list if no one answer questions that are natural
>>> to be asked, have no answer or documentation about them, and probably show
>>> common problems to many users?
>> Probably because the answer to your question isn't Squirrelmail related. See
>> below.

>>  From what I have read, via Google, Lotus Domino does not properly support
>> all the Fetch options you are sending to it. This is a IMAP issue, not
>> Squirrelmail. Please correct me if this is not true. I do not use Domino, so
>> cannot answer with firsthand knowledge. It is also why I did not answer the
>> first 2 times you sent this.

>> Switch to a Server program that properly supports IMAP.

>> List address: [hidden email]
>> List archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.user

---

Re: Why have an user mailing list?

André Z. D. A.
Differently from what you seem to assume, it is impossible for every admin deeply knowing every detail of every protocol used by programs in the system they take care of.

It is clear now that the LOG files or the Squirrelmail error are not informative enough to solve the problem - and there is a solution to the problem, since Domino servers are used by other mail clients normally.

I also understand that this would be an improvement in Squirrelmail, both for end users and administrators.

If saying this or having this opinion upsets you... well, I'm sorry, but it does not change anything.

---- Jim wrote: -----

> [...]
>>
>> If Lotus does not support these, how will Thunderbird behave with this IMAP server? What is the solution? I have used my account in this server with Thunderbird, and I have seen no problem at all.

>>> Probably because the answer to your question isn't Squirrelmail related. See
>>> below.

>>> From what I have read, via Google, Lotus Domino does not properly support
>>> all the Fetch options you are sending to it. This is a IMAP issue, not
>>> Squirrelmail. Please correct me if this is not true. I do not use Domino, so
>>> cannot answer with firsthand knowledge. It is also why I did not answer the
>>> first 2 times you sent this.

>>> Switch to a Server program that properly supports IMAP.

On Mon, 21 Sep 2015 09:33:11 -0300
André Z. D. A. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Differently from what you seem to assume, it is impossible for every
> admin deeply knowing every detail of every protocol used by programs
> in the system they take care of.
>
> It is clear now that the LOG files or the Squirrelmail error are not
> informative enough to solve the problem - and there is a solution to
> the problem, since Domino servers are used by other mail clients
> normally.
>
> I also understand that this would be an improvement in Squirrelmail,
> both for end users and administrators.
>
> If saying this or having this opinion upsets you... well, I'm sorry,
> but it does not change anything.

But it DOES change things.

First and foremost is the Lotus Domino DOES NOT WORK properly with
IMAP clients.  Thunderbird doesn't use the same command sort or search
mail.  It does it locally.  That means it grabs each and every email
from the server, brings it to the machine then sorts it.  Squirrelmail
tries to use the 'standard IMAP protocol' functions that are supposed
to be supported by ANY and ALL IMAP servers.  Second, not having access
to the logs as an admin means you cannot do your job.  You don't NEED
TO KNOW how a protocol works, you need access to the logs so that you
can use the error messages to find out what went wrong and THEN educate
yourself with what you need to know at that time.

As for Squirrelmail's log file, it is informative enough that I, a
non-Domino user, was able to find the problem and relate to you what
the issue was.  I've used many different POP2, POP3, IMAP3, and IMAP4
daemons in the past.  I have seen Microsoft's attempt at POP3, and
IMAP3, and how they didn't support many items.  I have used
Squirrelmail for years, sometimes having issues with sort, and search,
and sometimes not.  Those times that I have, it has always been against
some big, corporate, package that didn't implement the standard fully.
I know there are Open Source packages that also do not, but there are
enough people out there checking them to suggest not using them.

> ---- Jim wrote: -----
> > Wow!
> >
> > How upsetting is this...A system administrator that can't look at
> > their own log files and figure out what is going on! Squirrel is
> > supposed to tell them what is happening on their own system...That
> > is the most absurd thing I've ever heard!!!
> >
> > Lotus notes would have generated errors...Squirrel would have
> > generated errors.
> >
> > SquirrelMail does not know that it is talking to Lotus - It knows
> > that it is talking to a IMAP server, that's it...period!
> >
> > If you are not the system administrator and don't have access to
> > the log files...you need to seek that person out...look at the log
> > files for both Lotus and Squirrel and figure out what is going on
> > in your specific environment!
> >
> > Jim

> >> (...)

> >> All right. This is something acceptable, as a practical reality I
> >> did now know (naturally). And the fact that you knew and could
> >> have told the list before is something (even it not being the
> >> solution) I expected from a mailing list like this one.

> >> This is not true, I disagree with you. If Squirrelmail knows that
> >> it is a Lotus Domino, and consequently, the server does not
> >> completely support IMAP functions, Squirrelmail should either: do
> >> nothing at all, telling the user the reason why this can't be
> >> done; or do it with in some alternative way, if possible (and it
> >> seems that it could be possible). Showing just the vague error
> >> message is similar to choose the worse possible option to deal
> >> with the problem.
> >>
> >> As both an SM setup admin, and an user, I think that if you knew
> >> this issue (Lotus Domino and other servers limitations), then
> >> configtest MUST point the problem. Giving a 100% positive check is
> >> wrong, it is a problem in Squirrelmail.

> >> Switching out from Domino is not an option. Some users *have*
> >> their accounts hosted in this server, and the only way to access
> >> it is using a client, web (like Squirrel) or some other kind, like
> >> Thunderbird or such.
> >>
> >> If Lotus does not support these, how will Thunderbird behave with
> >> this IMAP server? What is the solution? I have used my account in
> >> this server with Thunderbird, and I have seen no problem at all.

> > ---

Janus
Keeper of portals

Re: Why have an user mailing list?

André Z. D. A.
Dear J. When I said that "it does not change anything", it was about my opinion that did not change. I was a bit surprised that you said to be "upset", and although it was not confortable for me to see that, I had no argument to change opinion, and also thought I did not make any big mistakes to justify your feeling.

I have not worked with as many daemons as you. I barely can tell many details about the mail servers I have used. I never even heard about "POP2", my whole life. IMAP and POP, ok, they're clearly different. But which version each server is or was, I won't even try to remember the few ones I have read this detail. It was not needed for anything, so I would not bother looking at it.

If Thunderbird does the search and sort only locally, Squirrelmail could do something similar. I think there is an option to this, I'll check it again. But if Lotus Domino and so many other implementation of IMAP are not complete, why can't we inform our users about it? From the log information you could find something valuable. I could not! But, wouldn''t it be great if it happens this way: SM admin wants to test a server; IMAP server is already configured; it can be check that it is a Lotus Domino (or any other incomplete/problematic server) and make some tests to confirm this limitation, or clearly inform in the error:

"Configtest is not successful because SM is configured to use IMAP commands do sort messages, which are not supported by the server imap.lotus-domino.ibm.com . Squirrelmail will have these functions disabled, when this server is used, or until the sort option is changed."

To end this discussion, that is losing its main subject, I feel like I may not know as much about logs and the server as other people in this list. But should I make no questions for this? I guess the answer for this question is "no, I and everyone should make questions and give their suggestions or comments, and they should be encouraged to do so".

Sincerely, thank you very much for all the technical comments. They are useful for me, they add up to what I know and what I can use to try solving some problems.

André