Quantcast

User prefs and other data files wiped out during server reboot

User prefs and other data files wiped out during server reboot

Alan in Toronto-3
SquirrelMail 1.4.22
Applied patch to functions/mime.php that is included in 1.4.23svn
PHP 5.2.9, SuPHP module, Zend Optimizer
Dovecot 1.1.19 (in a cPanel release), but uses some Courier NAMESPACE settings such
as prefix = INBOX.
Capabilities: * CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 SASL-IR SORT THREAD=REFERENCES MULTIAPPEND
UNSELECT LITERAL+ IDLE CHILDREN NAMESPACE LOGIN-REFERRALS UIDPLUS LIST-EXTENDED
I18NLEVEL=1 QUOTA STARTTLS AUTH=PLAIN AUTH=LOGIN
Maildir mail storage format
Mail is stored in /home/webaccountname/mail/mailusername/
Apache 2.0.63, cPanel virtual web hosting account
ESMTP Exim exim-4.87-5.cp1156
IMAP Server Address: 127.0.0.1
SMTP Server Address: 127.0.0.1
Server side sorting is enabled
Server side thread sorting is disabled
Allow editing of identities: Yes
Allow editing of full name: Yes
SquirrelMail access via SSL (https) for entire session
Browser: usually IE9, plus testing on others
User login with full e-mail address, e.g. [hidden email]
Many plugins, including: Auto Complete; Folder Synch; Select Range; etc.
Compatibility plugin 2.0.16
SquirrelMail configtest: pass

Hello:

Today when I was logged into my own user account in my SquirrelMail installation,
the server was rebooted. That wiped out my user prefs file and several other related
files for signatures and some plugin data.
e.g.

[hidden email].s1
[hidden email].s2
[hidden email]

etc.

The filenames still exist in that directory, but the contents have been somehow
wiped out.
The last time this occurred, a web server support tech had killed all server
connections to stop a spammer. I was logged into SquirrelMail at that time. He
thinks that because SquirrelMail couldn't properly access those files, or because
they were in use, the contents got wiped out and became zero bytes.

Is there any way to prevent this from happening?

List address: [hidden email]
List archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.user

Re: User prefs and other data files wiped out during server reboot

Paul Lesniewski

On 2016年11月07日 13:34, Alan in Toronto wrote:

> SquirrelMail 1.4.22
> Applied patch to functions/mime.php that is included in 1.4.23svn
> PHP 5.2.9, SuPHP module, Zend Optimizer
> Dovecot 1.1.19 (in a cPanel release), but uses some Courier NAMESPACE settings such
> as prefix = INBOX.
> Capabilities: * CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 SASL-IR SORT THREAD=REFERENCES MULTIAPPEND
> UNSELECT LITERAL+ IDLE CHILDREN NAMESPACE LOGIN-REFERRALS UIDPLUS LIST-EXTENDED
> I18NLEVEL=1 QUOTA STARTTLS AUTH=PLAIN AUTH=LOGIN
> Maildir mail storage format
> Mail is stored in /home/webaccountname/mail/mailusername/
> Apache 2.0.63, cPanel virtual web hosting account
> ESMTP Exim exim-4.87-5.cp1156
> IMAP Server Address: 127.0.0.1
> SMTP Server Address: 127.0.0.1
> Server side sorting is enabled
> Server side thread sorting is disabled
> Allow editing of identities: Yes
> Allow editing of full name: Yes
> SquirrelMail access via SSL (https) for entire session
> Browser: usually IE9, plus testing on others
> User login with full e-mail address, e.g. [hidden email]
> Many plugins, including: Auto Complete; Folder Synch; Select Range; etc.
> Compatibility plugin 2.0.16
> SquirrelMail configtest: pass
>
> Hello:
>
> Today when I was logged into my own user account in my SquirrelMail installation,
> the server was rebooted. That wiped out my user prefs file and several other related
> files for signatures and some plugin data.
> e.g.

> [hidden email].s1
> [hidden email].s2
> [hidden email]
>
> etc.
>
> The filenames still exist in that directory, but the contents have been somehow
> wiped out.
> The last time this occurred, a web server support tech had killed all server
> connections to stop a spammer. I was logged into SquirrelMail at that time. He
> thinks that because SquirrelMail couldn't properly access those files, or because
> they were in use, the contents got wiped out and became zero bytes.
>
> Is there any way to prevent this from happening?

When a user is logged in, those files remain on disk as normal files.
The only reason I can think of for them to get wiped is if the files
were actually being updated when the reboot happened.  I doubt
SquirrelMail can do much about that, unless you want to make a plugin
that creates backup preference files or something.  Instead I'd suggest
you have a backup system on the machine from where you can pull files
when this happens.

List address: [hidden email]
List archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.user

Re: User prefs and other data files wiped out during server reboot

Rich Hall
My question is "Why in all hell are they rebooting a server to stop SPAM"?
Shut the mail service or port down! Fix the filtering (block the IP's of
the offending party) in the iptables/firewalld and then open the port up
again.. You should never need to shut the box down for something like
spam... If they have to reboot, don't use 'reboot'... or at least do a
'sync', then a 'reboot'.. One should always use 'shutdown -r now' to do a
graceful shutdown.

Just my nickles worth..
-Rich

On Fri, Nov 11, 2016 at 2:08 AM, Paul Lesniewski <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> > thinks that because SquirrelMail couldn't properly access those files,
> or because
> > they were in use, the contents got wiped out and became zero bytes.
> >
> > Is there any way to prevent this from happening?
>
> When a user is logged in, those files remain on disk as normal files.
> The only reason I can think of for them to get wiped is if the files
> were actually being updated when the reboot happened.  I doubt
> SquirrelMail can do much about that, unless you want to make a plugin
> that creates backup preference files or something.  Instead I'd suggest
> you have a backup system on the machine from where you can pull files
> when this happens.
>
> --
> Paul Lesniewski
> SquirrelMail Team
> Please support Open Source Software by donating to SquirrelMail!

List address: [hidden email]
List archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.user