Quantcast

Thread sorting based on latest child instead of initial mail

Thread sorting based on latest child instead of initial mail

Jessie Hernandez
Hi all,

When sorting mails in squirrelmail I noticed that when you sort on threads
squirrelmail sorts the emails based on the intial mail and not the latest
child. So if I would receive an email on an old thread it will not appear
on my first page at the top but somewhere on a old page. Is there
something I am doing wrong with the sorting?

I have enabled sorting on my IMAP server.
I am running on a rasberry pi where I use
postfix
Dovecot version 2.2.13
squirrelmail 1.4.23 [SVN]

Thank for any help.

Regards,
Jessie Hernandez

Re: Thread sorting based on latest child instead of initial mail

Paul Lesniewski

On 2017年03月20日 06:54, Jessie Hernandez wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> When sorting mails in squirrelmail I noticed that when you sort on threads
> squirrelmail sorts the emails based on the intial mail and not the latest
> child. So if I would receive an email on an old thread it will not appear
> on my first page at the top but somewhere on a old page. Is there
> something I am doing wrong with the sorting?
>
> I have enabled sorting on my IMAP server.
> I am running on a rasberry pi where I use
> postfix
> Dovecot version 2.2.13
> squirrelmail 1.4.23 [SVN]

That's the way IMAP thread sorting works unfortunately.  IIRC, the
SORT/THREAD extension defines the THREAD command without any support for
the kind of sort you'd like (and I agree, it's not very handy).  You
could try asking in the Dovecot mailing list if anyone's found a
workaround to have the results of the THREAD command returned sorted by
the last, most recent child, but the RFC I believe is fixed to sorting
by the "root" (oldest/original) of each thread.  Let me know if you find
anything and I'd be glad to take a look at it.

Re: Thread sorting based on latest child instead of initial mail

Jessie Hernandez

> On 2017年03月20日 06:54, Jessie Hernandez wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> When sorting mails in squirrelmail I noticed that when you sort on
>> threads
>> squirrelmail sorts the emails based on the intial mail and not the
>> latest
>> child. So if I would receive an email on an old thread it will not
>> appear
>> on my first page at the top but somewhere on a old page. Is there
>> something I am doing wrong with the sorting?
>>
>> I have enabled sorting on my IMAP server.
>> I am running on a rasberry pi where I use
>> postfix
>> Dovecot version 2.2.13
>> squirrelmail 1.4.23 [SVN]
>
> That's the way IMAP thread sorting works unfortunately.  IIRC, the
> SORT/THREAD extension defines the THREAD command without any support for
> the kind of sort you'd like (and I agree, it's not very handy).  You
> could try asking in the Dovecot mailing list if anyone's found a
> workaround to have the results of the THREAD command returned sorted by
> the last, most recent child, but the RFC I believe is fixed to sorting
> by the "root" (oldest/original) of each thread.  Let me know if you find
> anything and I'd be glad to take a look at it.

Alright I was afraid of that.
I seem to have read on the Dovecot list that this sorting is done by the
mail client [1].

Would it be possible to request such a feature for squirrelMail?
or should I really check with the Dovecot people and is it a feature I
need to discuss over there?

[1]: https://www.dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2005-July/077857.html