Thread sorting based on latest child instead of initial mail

Thread sorting based on latest child instead of initial mail

Jessie Hernandez
Hi all,

When sorting mails in squirrelmail I noticed that when you sort on threads
squirrelmail sorts the emails based on the intial mail and not the latest
child. So if I would receive an email on an old thread it will not appear
on my first page at the top but somewhere on a old page. Is there
something I am doing wrong with the sorting?

I have enabled sorting on my IMAP server.
I am running on a rasberry pi where I use
postfix
Dovecot version 2.2.13
squirrelmail 1.4.23 [SVN]

Thank for any help.

Regards,
Jessie Hernandez

Re: Thread sorting based on latest child instead of initial mail

Paul Lesniewski

On 2017年03月20日 06:54, Jessie Hernandez wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> When sorting mails in squirrelmail I noticed that when you sort on threads
> squirrelmail sorts the emails based on the intial mail and not the latest
> child. So if I would receive an email on an old thread it will not appear
> on my first page at the top but somewhere on a old page. Is there
> something I am doing wrong with the sorting?
>
> I have enabled sorting on my IMAP server.
> I am running on a rasberry pi where I use
> postfix
> Dovecot version 2.2.13
> squirrelmail 1.4.23 [SVN]

That's the way IMAP thread sorting works unfortunately.  IIRC, the
SORT/THREAD extension defines the THREAD command without any support for
the kind of sort you'd like (and I agree, it's not very handy).  You
could try asking in the Dovecot mailing list if anyone's found a
workaround to have the results of the THREAD command returned sorted by
the last, most recent child, but the RFC I believe is fixed to sorting
by the "root" (oldest/original) of each thread.  Let me know if you find
anything and I'd be glad to take a look at it.

Re: Thread sorting based on latest child instead of initial mail

Jessie Hernandez

> On 2017年03月20日 06:54, Jessie Hernandez wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> When sorting mails in squirrelmail I noticed that when you sort on
>> threads
>> squirrelmail sorts the emails based on the intial mail and not the
>> latest
>> child. So if I would receive an email on an old thread it will not
>> appear
>> on my first page at the top but somewhere on a old page. Is there
>> something I am doing wrong with the sorting?
>>
>> I have enabled sorting on my IMAP server.
>> I am running on a rasberry pi where I use
>> postfix
>> Dovecot version 2.2.13
>> squirrelmail 1.4.23 [SVN]
>
> That's the way IMAP thread sorting works unfortunately.  IIRC, the
> SORT/THREAD extension defines the THREAD command without any support for
> the kind of sort you'd like (and I agree, it's not very handy).  You
> could try asking in the Dovecot mailing list if anyone's found a
> workaround to have the results of the THREAD command returned sorted by
> the last, most recent child, but the RFC I believe is fixed to sorting
> by the "root" (oldest/original) of each thread.  Let me know if you find
> anything and I'd be glad to take a look at it.

Alright I was afraid of that.
I seem to have read on the Dovecot list that this sorting is done by the
mail client [1].

Would it be possible to request such a feature for squirrelMail?
or should I really check with the Dovecot people and is it a feature I
need to discuss over there?

[1]: https://www.dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2005-July/077857.html

On Wed, March 29, 2017 6:18 am, Jessie Hernandez wrote:

>> On 2017年03月20日 06:54, Jessie Hernandez wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> When sorting mails in squirrelmail I noticed that when you sort on
>>> threads
>>> squirrelmail sorts the emails based on the intial mail and not the
>>> latest
>>> child. So if I would receive an email on an old thread it will not
>>> appear
>>> on my first page at the top but somewhere on a old page. Is there
>>> something I am doing wrong with the sorting?
>>>
>>> I have enabled sorting on my IMAP server.
>>> I am running on a rasberry pi where I use
>>> postfix
>>> Dovecot version 2.2.13
>>> squirrelmail 1.4.23 [SVN]
>>
>> That's the way IMAP thread sorting works unfortunately.  IIRC, the
>> SORT/THREAD extension defines the THREAD command without any support for
>> the kind of sort you'd like (and I agree, it's not very handy).  You
>> could try asking in the Dovecot mailing list if anyone's found a
>> workaround to have the results of the THREAD command returned sorted by
>> the last, most recent child, but the RFC I believe is fixed to sorting
>> by the "root" (oldest/original) of each thread.  Let me know if you find
>> anything and I'd be glad to take a look at it.
>
> Alright I was afraid of that.
> I seem to have read on the Dovecot list that this sorting is done by the
> mail client [1].

No, that thread post seems to be about two things, the Evolution client
specifically (ignore that part) and IMAP THREAD.  Timo said he had
considered breaking RFC to add an option to make THREAD do what you (and
lots of other people I would guess) want.

> Would it be possible to request such a feature for squirrelMail?
> or should I really check with the Dovecot people and is it a feature I
> need to discuss over there?

It's not a mail client thing.  You should beg Timo on everyone's behalf to
do what he had been pondering at that time many years ago.  Let us know if
you get any movement on it.