Quantcast

Squirrelmail under IE 10 auto-refreshes the right frame along with the folder list

Squirrelmail under IE 10 auto-refreshes the right frame along with the folder list

ansgarat
Hi,
I noticed that when using IE on Windows 8 with metro, when SquirrelMail auto-refreshes the folder list (the left frame), the right frame also gets refreshed. (Tested on SM 1.4.22 and 1.4.23). So when you're composing a message, you lose what you have written because the right frame gets reloaded and you find yourself on the mail list page.

Is there any fix for that? Thanks!

Re: Squirrelmail under IE 10 auto-refreshes the right frame along with the folder list

Paul Lesniewski
On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 2:16 AM, ansgarat <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
> I noticed that when using IE on Windows 8 with metro, when SquirrelMail
> auto-refreshes the folder list (the left frame), the right frame also gets
> refreshed. (Tested on SM 1.4.22 and 1.4.23). So when you're composing a
> message, you lose what you have written because the right frame gets
> reloaded and you find yourself on the mail list page.

Per the mailing list posting guidelines, please list the plugins you
have running.  I suspect you are using the Folder Sync plugin.  If
not, then I don't know why this would happen.  If you are using that
plugin, it would be helpful (if you understand JavaScript) if you
could see why it is trying to refresh the compose screen.  On all
other browsers I know of, this does not happen.  The JavaScript is
reasonably simple - nothing fancy (for best compatibility), therefore
I wouldn't expect IE to break... although if anyone's going to
break.....

> Is there any fix for that? Thanks!

Maybe you can tell us - give us a hand!  Thanks!

PS - if this is a Folder Sync issue, this thread belongs on the
plugins mailing list

List address: [hidden email]
List archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.devel

Re: Squirrelmail under IE 10 auto-refreshes the right frame along with the folder list

ansgarat
Hi Paul,
Actually, I've tested this using clean SquirrelMail with no plugins enabled. I heard about this from someone else who had this problem so I decided to test it for myself and sure enough, I got the same results. It doesn't happen on any other OS or browser, just IE 10 under Windows 8 with metro. (Well... I didn't test it on IE 11 yet.) It looks like IE refreshes the entire frameset instead of just one of the frames. This happens regardless of what page the right frame displays.

If I have some time next week I'll try to test this a bit more and see if I can pin-point the problem. It's probably something IE-10-specific, maybe it handles framesets differently... I'll let you know if I find something. And if you happen to find a solution earlier, please let me know.

Re: Squirrelmail under IE 10 auto-refreshes the right frame along with the folder list

Paul Lesniewski
Please don't top-post, thanks.

> Actually, I've tested this using clean SquirrelMail with no plugins enabled.
> I heard about this from someone else who had this problem so I decided to
> test it for myself and sure enough, I got the same results. It doesn't
> happen on any other OS or browser, just IE 10 under Windows 8 with metro.
> (Well... I didn't test it on IE 11 yet.) It looks like IE refreshes the
> entire frameset instead of just one of the frames. This happens regardless
> of what page the right frame displays.

Maybe it's an IE bug, or maybe IE is doing something funny depending
on it being in compatibility mode or the likes. Maybe it wants a
specific syntax to refresh the frame instead of the whole window.

SquirrelMail is using a meta tag refresh and while it would be nicest
if you could help diagnose what is happening, you could also use one
of the new refresh mechanisms added a couple weeks ago to 1.4.23-SVN
(snapshots on our downloads page).

Another thing you can try very easily is changing the browser
rendering mode setting in the SquirrelMail configuration.

> If I have some time next week I'll try to test this a bit more and see if I
> can pin-point the problem. It's probably something IE-10-specific, maybe it
> handles framesets differently... I'll let you know if I find something. And
> if you happen to find a solution earlier, please let me know.

You can also test by creating a simple frameset where one frame has a
META refresh in it.  I'm leaving DOCTYPE out, but that could also have
an effect:

<frameset cols="200, *">
<frame src="left.html" name="left" frameborder="1">
<frame src="right.html" name="right" frameborder="1">
</frameset>

right.html

left.html

</head>

Along with various DOCTYPEs, you can play with the syntax of the meta tag:

List address: [hidden email]
List archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.devel