Squirrelmail returns blank page after send

Squirrelmail returns blank page after send

oonet
Using secure (https) connection to squirrelmail, compose message and hit send. Squirrelmail returns a blank page. (Message is sent as expected.)

Insecure (http) connection to squirrelmail returns to the index page. Returns to index page even if message was sent as a reply to viewed message. There is no notice to confirm that message was sent.

SquirrelMail version 1.4.22
Apache 2.4.18
PHP Version 5.6.28-1

Re: Squirrelmail returns blank page after send

Paul Lesniewski

On 2016年12月01日 22:55, oonet wrote:
> Using secure (https) connection to squirrelmail, compose message and hit
> send. Squirrelmail returns a blank page. (Message is sent as expected.)

Check logs.

> Insecure (http) connection to squirrelmail returns to the index page.
> Returns to index page even if message was sent as a reply to viewed message.

Expected behavior.

> There is no notice to confirm that message was sent.

Check plugins.

Re: Squirrelmail returns blank page after send

oonet
<quote author="Paul Lesniewski">

> Check logs.

Logs appear as expected. Web access submits to compose.php. Message is sent via smtp.

> Expected behavior.

Yes. Http works as expected. Https returns blank page.

Might be nice if replies returned to message page rather than index, but not critical.

> Check plugins.

Makes sense. Is there one you can suggest that confirms message sent?

Most importantly, is there a fix for sending mail with https?

On 2016年12月05日 22:55, oonet wrote:

>> Check logs.
>
> Logs appear as expected. Web access submits to compose.php. Message is sent
> via smtp.

The point is we can't debug your setup for you, especially without any
information whatsoever.  HTTPS  works for most everyone, so it's
something peculiar to your environment.

https://squirrelmail.org/docs/admin/admin-11.html#ss11.1

> Might be nice if replies returned to message page rather than index, but not
> critical.

Agree, I might add it if time allows.

>> Check plugins.
>
> Makes sense. Is there one you can suggest that confirms message sent?
>
> Most importantly, is there a fix for sending mail with https?

List address: [hidden email]
List archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.devel

Re: Squirrelmail returns blank page after send

oonet
<quote author="Paul Lesniewski">
On 2016年12月05日 22:55, oonet wrote:

> The point is we can't debug your setup for you, especially without any
information whatsoever.

Understood. I'll debug the setup.

> HTTPS  works for most everyone, so it's
something peculiar to your environment.

Https is working here too - though not the same as http. Are you saying that using https on other systems, compose-send returns the index and not a blank page?

If so, I'm puzzled because there are no errors. But I'm sure there's an explanation.

I have seen reference to a squirrelmail extension for apache, though I have not installed it. Just copied the squirrelmail directory to apache and linked to it. Only the bare minimum of extensions are enabled. Maybe there's one that squirrelmail tries to make use of when accessed by https?

Or maybe the problem is limited to php5.6?

Re: Squirrelmail returns blank page after send

oonet
By the way, here's the source of the "blank" page being returned (by https, http is fine):

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Frameset//EN">
<title>SquirrelMail 1.4.22</title>
</head><frameset cols="200, *" id="fs1">
<frame src="left_main.php" name="left" frameborder="1">
<frame src="right_main.php" name="right" frameborder="1">
</frameset>

On 2016年12月10日 11:25, oonet wrote:

> On 2016年12月05日 22:55, oonet wrote:
>
>> The point is we can't debug your setup for you, especially without any
> information whatsoever.
>
> Understood. I'll debug the setup.
>
>> HTTPS  works for most everyone, so it's
> something peculiar to your environment.
>
> Https is working here too - though not the same as http. Are you saying that
> using https on other systems, compose-send returns the index and not a blank
> page?

Of course.

> If so, I'm puzzled because there are no errors. But I'm sure there's an
> explanation.

There ARE errors, but you have not found them.  I already sent you a
link explaining where to find any error messages.

> I have seen reference to a squirrelmail extension for apache, though I have
> not installed it. Just copied the squirrelmail directory to apache and
> linked to it. Only the bare minimum of extensions are enabled. Maybe there's
> one that squirrelmail tries to make use of when accessed by https?

There's no such thing.

> Or maybe the problem is limited to php5.6?

No, chances are very good it's quite specific to how you built and
configured your web server.

On 2016年12月15日 20:58, oonet wrote:

> By the way, here's the source of the "blank" page being returned (by https,
> http is fine):
>
> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC &quot;-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Frameset//EN&quot;>
> <title>SquirrelMail 1.4.22</title>
> </head><frameset cols="200, *" id="fs1">
> <frame src="left_main.php" name="left" frameborder="1">
> <frame src="right_main.php" name="right" frameborder="1">
> </frameset>

Perfectly normal. The frame contents are what are not loading then.
Still, the client side will tell you little to nothing compared to
simply looking in your logs.

Re: Squirrelmail returns blank page after send

oonet
<quote author="Paul Lesniewski">
> Perfectly normal. The frame contents are what are not loading then.

Agreed.

> Still, the client side will tell you little to nothing compared to
> simply looking in your logs.

The logs appear as expected. Sending an email in http and https look identical except for (successful) entries relating to ssl. They both show a hit to compose.php followed by a disconnect. There were no errors logged for either apache or php.

According to the logs, squirrelmail is behaving normally returning the index page in http and a blank page in https.

On 2016年12月16日 16:25, oonet wrote:

>> Perfectly normal. The frame contents are what are not loading then.
>
> Agreed.
>
>> Still, the client side will tell you little to nothing compared to
>> simply looking in your logs.
>
> The logs appear as expected. Sending an email in http and https look
> identical except for (successful) entries relating to ssl. They both show a
> hit to compose.php followed by a disconnect. There were no errors logged for
> either apache or php.

Increase logging verbosity.  SHOW configuration settings, logs,
information you think could assist anyone who feels motivated to help
you debug your system.  Sorry, but my crystal ball is broken.

> According to the logs, squirrelmail is behaving normally returning the index
> page in http and a blank page in https.

No such thing as a blank page in SquirrelMail's world. Blank means there
is an error in the PHP code or your browser/web server can't handle the
redirect.  Watch browser connection and responses as well.

Re: Squirrelmail returns blank page after send

Rolan Yang

On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 7:25 PM, oonet <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Perfectly normal. The frame contents are what are not loading then.

Agreed.

> Still, the client side will tell you little to nothing compared to
> simply looking in your logs.

The logs appear as expected. Sending an email in http and https look
identical except for (successful) entries relating to ssl. They both show a
hit to compose.php followed by a disconnect. There were no errors logged for
either apache or php.

According to the logs, squirrelmail is behaving normally returning the index
page in http and a blank page in https.

Start inserting

print 'Ok, I made it to here!'; exit;

throughout compose.php then reloading https to locate where it dies.

:)

~Rolan

Re: Squirrelmail returns blank page after send

oonet
<quote author="Rolan Yang">

It doesn't appear to be dying. Exits normally. Returns the index page in http and a blank page in https.

On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 10:14 PM, oonet <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 7:25 PM, oonet &lt;squirrelmail-ok@&gt; wrote:

> Start inserting
>
> print 'Ok, I made it to here!'; exit;
>
> throughout compose.php then reloading https to locate where it dies.

It doesn't appear to be dying. Exits normally. Returns the index page in
http and a blank page in https.

After the POST to compose.php, does it successfully 302 redirect back to right_main.php?
If not, then it's dying somewhere in there.

Re: Squirrelmail returns blank page after send

oonet
<quote author="Rolan Yang">
On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 10:14 PM, oonet <[hidden email]> wrote:

> After the POST to compose.php, does it successfully 302 redirect back to
> right_main.php?

With http, yes. With https, no.

> If not, then it's dying somewhere in there.

Yes.