Squirrelmail and Gmail

Peter Cullen

Hello!

I have a frustratingly general question, and it's one more based on curiosity than need. I've been a fan of SquirrelMail for many years, and have noticed recently that you can no longer connect to your Gmail account using it. I understand there's really no practical point in doing this - just use gmail's webmail or a pop/imap client, and I think there's a pop fetch plugin for SQ too, not sure if it has the same issue though.

so please forgive me for not being specific or being able to upload code in question - i was just wondering if anyone knew why Gmail hates SQ these days? why doesn't the way SQ logs into an imap server work with gmail anymore? when I set up the config file with all the correct details and go to log in, it tells me i entered an incorrect user name or password, then moments later an email arrives in my gmail inbox that reads:

Someone just tried to sign in to your Google Account ****@gmail.com from an app that doesn't meet modern security standards.

i've read google is renowned for not following standards, not sure if that's true, but I'm just wondering why gmail cracks a wobbly at SQ these days when I definitely remember it working a few years ago. like i said, i have no practical purpose to access my gmail with squirrelmail, but was curious about what's changed

food for thought!

peace and blessings

Re: Squirrelmail and Gmail

Paul Lesniewski
On 11/28/15, Peter Cullen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I have a frustratingly general question, and it's one more based on
> curiosity than need. I've been a fan of SquirrelMail for many years, and
> have noticed recently that you can no longer connect to your Gmail account
> using it. I understand there's really no practical point in doing this -
> just use gmail's webmail or a pop/imap client, and I think there's a pop
> fetch plugin for SQ too, not sure if it has the same issue though.
>
> so please forgive me for not being specific or being able to upload code in
> question - i was just wondering if anyone knew why Gmail hates SQ these
> days? why doesn't the way SQ logs into an imap server work with gmail
> anymore? when I set up the config file with all the correct details and go
> to log in, it tells me i entered an incorrect user name or password, then
> moments later an email arrives in my gmail inbox that reads:
>
> Someone just tried to sign in to your Google Account ****@gmail.com from an
> app that doesn't meet modern security standards.
> i've read google is renowned for not following standards, not sure if that's
> true, but I'm just wondering why gmail cracks a wobbly at SQ these days when
> I definitely remember it working a few years ago. like i said, i have no
> practical purpose to access my gmail with squirrelmail, but was curious
> about what's changed

Presumably you have it configured to use TLS ($use_imap_tls = 1)...
you can try to use STARTTLS ($use_imap_tls = 2) if you have a recent
SM snapshot (not sure what port that would use, possibly 143),
although it would be odd if that was the issue.

More likely, they are wanting you to use some other authentication
mechanism aside from "login".  You can try each one of the methods SM
supports: login, plain, cram-md5, digest-md5 and let us know if any of
them stops Gmail from complaining.

You also might do a web search on the text of the email you received
and/or ask on an appropriate Google support mailing list.

Re: Squirrelmail and Gmail

Paul Lesniewski
On 12/24/15, Paul Lesniewski <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11/28/15, Peter Cullen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>> I have a frustratingly general question, and it's one more based on
>> curiosity than need. I've been a fan of SquirrelMail for many years, and
>> have noticed recently that you can no longer connect to your Gmail
>> account
>> using it. I understand there's really no practical point in doing this -
>> just use gmail's webmail or a pop/imap client, and I think there's a pop
>> fetch plugin for SQ too, not sure if it has the same issue though.
>>
>> so please forgive me for not being specific or being able to upload code
>> in
>> question - i was just wondering if anyone knew why Gmail hates SQ these
>> days? why doesn't the way SQ logs into an imap server work with gmail
>> anymore? when I set up the config file with all the correct details and
>> go
>> to log in, it tells me i entered an incorrect user name or password, then
>> moments later an email arrives in my gmail inbox that reads:
>>
>> Someone just tried to sign in to your Google Account ****@gmail.com from
>> an
>> app that doesn't meet modern security standards.
>> i've read google is renowned for not following standards, not sure if
>> that's
>> true, but I'm just wondering why gmail cracks a wobbly at SQ these days
>> when
>> I definitely remember it working a few years ago. like i said, i have no
>> practical purpose to access my gmail with squirrelmail, but was curious
>> about what's changed
>
> Presumably you have it configured to use TLS ($use_imap_tls = 1)...
> you can try to use STARTTLS ($use_imap_tls = 2) if you have a recent
> SM snapshot (not sure what port that would use, possibly 143),
> although it would be odd if that was the issue.
>
> More likely, they are wanting you to use some other authentication
> mechanism aside from "login".  You can try each one of the methods SM
> supports: login, plain, cram-md5, digest-md5 and let us know if any of
> them stops Gmail from complaining.
>
> You also might do a web search on the text of the email you received
> and/or ask on an appropriate Google support mailing list.

Indeed, this seems to answer your question:

http://security.stackexchange.com/questions/66025/what-are-the-dangers-of-allowing-less-secure-apps-to-access-my-google-account/72371#72371

It is possible that a plugin such as login_auth could be extended to
support OAuth, but that's not something I plan to spend my free time
on any time soon.