Squirrelmail & PHP 7 (Ubuntu 16.04)

cvb-2
Hi,

I have a server running postfix, courier, Squirrelmail for quite some
time without any issues. Now I upgraded the server to Ubuntu 16.04 which
comes with PHP 7.

After migration, everything's working, except Squirrelmail. When I login
with the right credentials (Thunderbird etc. is working), the message is
shown: "Einstellungsdatenbank fehlerhaft (extension not found).
Abbruch.". This means something along the lines of "settings databank
has errors (extension not found). Aborting."

configtest.php shows "ERROR: mysql database support not present!"

That is strange, because php7.0-mysql is installed and working.

Any hint on what I could do to get it running? Or no chance to get
Squirrelmail working on Ubuntu 16.04 with PHP 7?

Thanks, Chris

Re: Squirrelmail & PHP 7 (Ubuntu 16.04)

David C. Rankin
On 09/04/2016 02:36 PM, Chris wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a server running postfix, courier, Squirrelmail for quite some
> time without any issues. Now I upgraded the server to Ubuntu 16.04 which
> comes with PHP 7.
>
> After migration, everything's working, except Squirrelmail. When I login
> with the right credentials (Thunderbird etc. is working), the message is
> shown: "Einstellungsdatenbank fehlerhaft (extension not found).
> Abbruch.". This means something along the lines of "settings databank
> has errors (extension not found). Aborting."
>
> configtest.php shows "ERROR: mysql database support not present!"
>
> That is strange, because php7.0-mysql is installed and working.
>
> Any hint on what I could do to get it running? Or no chance to get
> Squirrelmail working on Ubuntu 16.04 with PHP 7?
>
> Thanks, Chris

PHP extension=mysql.so was deprecated as of PHP 5.5 and removed in php7. You
must use extension=mysqli.so or extension=pdo_mysql.so. I have removed php7 and
dropped back to php 5.6. Ubuntu should provide the same option. It will take
another year or so for all webapps to transition to php7 the changes are fairly
substantial. I don't know what the schedule is for squirrelmail or how far along
it is, others will have to chime in.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.

Re: Squirrelmail & PHP 7 (Ubuntu 16.04)

Paul Lesniewski

On 2016年09月17日 15:31, David C. Rankin wrote:

> On 09/04/2016 02:36 PM, Chris wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a server running postfix, courier, Squirrelmail for quite some
>> time without any issues. Now I upgraded the server to Ubuntu 16.04 which
>> comes with PHP 7.
>>
>> After migration, everything's working, except Squirrelmail. When I login
>> with the right credentials (Thunderbird etc. is working), the message is
>> shown: "Einstellungsdatenbank fehlerhaft (extension not found).
>> Abbruch.". This means something along the lines of "settings databank
>> has errors (extension not found). Aborting."
>>
>> configtest.php shows "ERROR: mysql database support not present!"
>>
>> That is strange, because php7.0-mysql is installed and working.
>>
>> Any hint on what I could do to get it running? Or no chance to get
>> Squirrelmail working on Ubuntu 16.04 with PHP 7?
>>
>> Thanks, Chris
>>

> PHP extension=mysql.so was deprecated as of PHP 5.5 and removed in php7. You
> must use extension=mysqli.so or extension=pdo_mysql.so. I have removed php7 and
> dropped back to php 5.6. Ubuntu should provide the same option. It will take
> another year or so for all webapps to transition to php7 the changes are fairly
> substantial. I don't know what the schedule is for squirrelmail or how far along
> it is, others will have to chime in.

I've just added PDO support to 1.4.23 and 1.5.2 so this should be
alleviated. Database support should now be built-in, no external modules
needed.

Please allow for 24 hours for the updates to be incorporated into the
next snapshots.

List address: [hidden email]
List archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.user