SquirrelMail page will not load

Kevin C. Connell
Greetings,

We are running SquirrelMail 1.4.22, with Exim on CentOS.  I have one email
account that is functional inbound/outbound using IMAP, but the problem
is, the SquirrelMail web page will not load, it times out.

2 things happened with this account prior to the web page not loading:

1) The account was hacked and was getting bombarded with spam email.
2) Some SPAM and display settings were changed by the user.  I'm not sure
exactly which settings were changed.

As I mentioned though, IMAP sending and receiving is working fine on this
account.  Is there some way from the command line, to get this account
back to default SquirrelMail settings?  And also, purge the deleted items
folder?

Any advice is appreciated!

-Kevin C.

List address: [hidden email]
List archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.devel

Re: SquirrelMail page will not load

Paul Lesniewski

On 2016年12月09日 10:39, Kevin C. Connell wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> We are running SquirrelMail 1.4.22, with Exim on CentOS.  I have one email
> account that is functional inbound/outbound using IMAP, but the problem
> is, the SquirrelMail web page will not load, it times out.

Please be specific with what "the SquirrelMail page" means.  There are
many "pages" in SquirrelMail.  Do you mean that the login times out?
Please refer to your server logs to see why.  The mailing list archives
have pointers of where to find your logs.  If your IMAP server is timing
out, you should see something in your logs.  If SquirrelMail itself is
timing out, watch the web server log for helpful information.  You need
to look at how big the user's INBOX is, your PHP memory limit and max
execution time settings, etc.  Make sure you are not using some kind of
PHP-side modules that do things to all the user's INBOX messages, such
as the "filters" plugin.  And check the config file for what the
$allow_thread_sort and $allow_server_sort settings are.  Etc...

> 2 things happened with this account prior to the web page not loading:
>
> 1) The account was hacked and was getting bombarded with spam email.

An account doesn't have to be hacked to get bombarded with spam.  In
such a case, the user prefs will not have changed and your problem may
simply be that you need to deal with an extremely large INBOX.

> 2) Some SPAM and display settings were changed by the user.  I'm not sure
> exactly which settings were changed.
>
> As I mentioned though, IMAP sending and receiving is working fine on this
> account.

SquirrelMail is also an IMAP client.

> Is there some way from the command line, to get this account
> back to default SquirrelMail settings?

Sure, find the user prefs file (or settings in your database) and change
them to what your default prefs file has.  But this is probably not your
issue, and resetting user prefs will do nothing more than annoy your user.

> And also, purge the deleted items
> folder?

Purging user mail should be taken seriously - it can eliminate mail the
user didn't want to lose (no matter which folder), or mail that helps
with forensics after a break-in.  That said, how to purge messages
depends entirely on what IMAP server you are using.  Sometimes you can
manually delete maildir files or clear out a mailbox file, but don't do
that unless you know what you're doing.  I.e., in the case of dovecot,
you're better off using 'doveadm expunge'.

List address: [hidden email]
List archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.devel

Re: SquirrelMail page will not load

Kevin C. Connell

Yes, I mean the login page times out.  The correct password is entered, and then Chrome spins, until it times out.  You never get to the inbox.

It is only 1 user account that is affected, other accounts are working fine.  I think it's trying to display too many emails on the first page; so if I can reset all the Squirrel mail settings for this account back to the default settings, it will likely resolve the issue. How can I do that from the command line?

-Kevin C.

Sent from my HTC One M9 on Sprint.

On 2016年12月09日 10:39, Kevin C. Connell wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> We are running SquirrelMail 1.4.22, with Exim on CentOS.  I have one email
> account that is functional inbound/outbound using IMAP, but the problem
> is, the SquirrelMail web page will not load, it times out.

Please be specific with what "the SquirrelMail page" means.  There are
many "pages" in SquirrelMail.  Do you mean that the login times out?
Please refer to your server logs to see why.  The mailing list archives
have pointers of where to find your logs.  If your IMAP server is timing
out, you should see something in your logs.  If SquirrelMail itself is
timing out, watch the web server log for helpful information.  You need
to look at how big the user's INBOX is, your PHP memory limit and max
execution time settings, etc.  Make sure you are not using some kind of
PHP-side modules that do things to all the user's INBOX messages, such
as the "filters" plugin.  And check the config file for what the
$allow_thread_sort and $allow_server_sort settings are.  Etc...

> 2 things happened with this account prior to the web page not loading:
>
> 1) The account was hacked and was getting bombarded with spam email.

An account doesn't have to be hacked to get bombarded with spam.  In
such a case, the user prefs will not have changed and your problem may
simply be that you need to deal with an extremely large INBOX.

> 2) Some SPAM and display settings were changed by the user.  I'm not sure
> exactly which settings were changed.
>
> As I mentioned though, IMAP sending and receiving is working fine on this
> account.

SquirrelMail is also an IMAP client.

> Is there some way from the command line, to get this account
> back to default SquirrelMail settings?

Sure, find the user prefs file (or settings in your database) and change
them to what your default prefs file has.  But this is probably not your
issue, and resetting user prefs will do nothing more than annoy your user.

> And also, purge the deleted items
> folder?

Purging user mail should be taken seriously - it can eliminate mail the
user didn't want to lose (no matter which folder), or mail that helps
with forensics after a break-in.  That said, how to purge messages
depends entirely on what IMAP server you are using.  Sometimes you can
manually delete maildir files or clear out a mailbox file, but don't do
that unless you know what you're doing.  I.e., in the case of dovecot,
you're better off using 'doveadm expunge'.

List address: [hidden email]
List archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.devel

Re: SquirrelMail page will not load

Rolan Yang

On Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 12:18 AM, Kevin C. Connell <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Yes, I mean the login page times out.  The correct password is entered, and then Chrome spins, until it times out.  You never get to the inbox.

It is only 1 user account that is affected, other accounts are working fine.  I think it's trying to display too many emails on the first page; so if I can reset all the Squirrel mail settings for this account back to the default settings, it will likely resolve the issue. How can I do that from the command line?

-Kevin C.

Sent from my HTC One M9 on Sprint.

Have the user clean out the inbox by connecting to the account with an external POP3 client like Thunderbird. If the user wishes to retain the ham emails in the account, use IMAP, but delete the spam.

~Rolan

Re: SquirrelMail page will not load

Paul Lesniewski
Kevin, please do not top post. Please READ the mailing list posting
guidelines as requested when you subscribed to this list.

On 2016年12月13日 22:20, Rolan Yang wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 12:18 AM, Kevin C. Connell
>
>     Hi,
>
>     Yes, I mean the login page times out.  The correct password is
>     entered, and then Chrome spins, until it times out.  You never get
>     to the inbox.
>
>     It is only 1 user account that is affected, other accounts are
>     working fine.  I think it's trying to display too many emails on the
>     first page; so if I can reset all the Squirrel mail settings for
>     this account back to the default settings, it will likely resolve
>     the issue. How can I do that from the command line?
>

>     -Kevin C.
>
>     Sent from my HTC One M9 on Sprint.
>

> Have the user clean out the inbox by connecting to the account with an
> external POP3 client like Thunderbird. If the user wishes to retain the
> ham emails in the account, use IMAP, but delete the spam.

As implied by Rolan, the user's webmail preferences may not be the fix
you're looking for.

Re: SquirrelMail page will not load

Kevin C. Connell
I'll take a look at the instructions, I didn't know I needed to do anything else but reply to a response on this list.

I took Rolans' advice (thanks Rolan!), there's about 6K emails in the users inbox using an IMAP desktop client (Outlook). I've had more than that in my own inbox, and Squirrelmail has always worked fine for me. That leads me to further believe it's simply a setting in his Squirrelmail preferences. He's deleting email, but still would be good to know if those Squirrelmail settings can be changed from the command line.

-Kevin C.

Sent from my HTC One M9 on Sprint.

Kevin, please do not top post. Please READ the mailing list posting
guidelines as requested when you subscribed to this list.

On 2016年12月13日 22:20, Rolan Yang wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 12:18 AM, Kevin C. Connell
>
>     Hi,
>
>     Yes, I mean the login page times out.  The correct password is
>     entered, and then Chrome spins, until it times out.  You never get
>     to the inbox.
>
>     It is only 1 user account that is affected, other accounts are
>     working fine.  I think it's trying to display too many emails on the
>     first page; so if I can reset all the Squirrel mail settings for
>     this account back to the default settings, it will likely resolve
>     the issue. How can I do that from the command line?
>

>     -Kevin C.
>
>     Sent from my HTC One M9 on Sprint.
>

> Have the user clean out the inbox by connecting to the account with an
> external POP3 client like Thunderbird. If the user wishes to retain the
> ham emails in the account, use IMAP, but delete the spam.

As implied by Rolan, the user's webmail preferences may not be the fix
you're looking for.

Re: SquirrelMail page will not load

Paul Lesniewski

>>> Have the user clean out the inbox by connecting to the account with an
>>> external POP3 client like Thunderbird. If the user wishes to retain the
>>> ham emails in the account, use IMAP, but delete the spam.
>>
>> As implied by Rolan, the user's webmail preferences may not be the fix
>> you're looking for.
>
> I took Rolans' advice (thanks Rolan!), there's about 6K emails in the
> users inbox using an IMAP desktop client (Outlook). I've had more than
> that in my own inbox, and Squirrelmail has always worked fine for me.
> That leads me to further believe it's simply a setting in his
> Squirrelmail preferences. He's deleting email, but still would be good
> to know if those Squirrelmail settings can be changed from the command line.

I gave you a whole list of things to consider (including prefs info).
You should consider them.