Squirrel Mail license

Marson Jesse
Dear Squirrel Mail

I am interested in Squirrel Mail service, however because it is such a unique concept, I just want to confirm that "there are no strings attached"  and that this is a real license.  I am sorry for the sceptical question.

Cost:

SquirrelMail is licensed under the GPL. The cost to you can be explained with this short list:

  • Licenses are $0 per license when purchased in small quantities (1-50)
  • Bulk licenses are $0 each (51-500)
  • If you need more licenses we can work out custom pricing.
  • Site licenses are available for $0, many people choose this option for bang-for-the-buck.
  • Support is available on the SquirrelMail mailing list at a rate of $0 per incident. (see [support])
  • Each license comes with a source code license and a redistribution license.
  • Users wishing to license in currencies other than the American Dollar can assume a 1:1 conversion rate.
  • Prices are without VAT.

Take care and I look forward to hearing from you,

List address: [hidden email]
List archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.user

Re: Squirrel Mail license

Carl Carpenter
I will be mostly out of the office from 4/12-22 with limited access to email during that time.  If you need assistance during that time, you can contact Lloyd at [hidden email].  If this is a technical problem, please submit a work order in order to get the fastest response possible.

List address: [hidden email]
List archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.user

Re: Squirrel Mail license

Fredrik Jervfors-4
> I am interested in Squirrel Mail service, however because it is such a
> unique concept, I just want to confirm that "there are no strings
> attached" and that this is a real license.  I am sorry for the sceptical
> question.

SquirrelMail is free software released under GPL v2. It doesn't cost you
anything to use it regardless of how many users, servers, CPUs, clicks or
amount of data you have. The only catch is that you can't modify
SquirrelMail and give it to someone else without including the source
code.

Note that SquirrelMail is not a mail service - it's a software package
that you can install on a webserver so you can have web access to an IMAP
mail server.

The full license text for GPL can be found here:
http://squirrelmail.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/squirrelmail/branches/SM-1_4-STABLE/squirrelmail/doc/COPYING?revision=13456

Also see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_General_Public_License

--
Fredrik Jervfors <http://fredrik.jervfors.se/>
The SquirrelMail Project

List address: [hidden email]
List archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.user

Re: Squirrel Mail license

2013.04.15 14:35 Marson Jesse rašė:
> Dear Squirrel Mail
>
> I am interested in Squirrel Mail service, however because it is such a
> unique concept, I just want to confirm that "there are no strings
> attached"  and that this is a real license.  I am sorry for the sceptical
> question.

SquirrelMail is not service. It is application. GPL is not "no strings
attached" license.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPL and
https://gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/gpl-2.0.txt

List address: [hidden email]
List archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.user

Re: Squirrel Mail license

mick.crane
On 15/04/2013, Fredrik Jervfors <[hidden email]> wrote:
<snipped>
> The full license text for GPL can be found here:
> http://squirrelmail.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/squirrelmail/branches/SM-1_4-STABLE/squirrelmail/doc/COPYING?revision=13456
>
> Also see:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_General_Public_License

I tried to comprehend the license at one time but my brain turned to
mush before I could finish it.

mmick

List address: [hidden email]
List archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.user

Re: Squirrel Mail license

Tomas Kuliavas
2013.04.15 19:23 michael crane rašė:

> On 15/04/2013, Fredrik Jervfors <[hidden email]> wrote:
> <snipped>
>> The full license text for GPL can be found here:
>> http://squirrelmail.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/squirrelmail/branches/SM-1_4-STABLE/squirrelmail/doc/COPYING?revision=13456
>>
>> Also see:
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_General_Public_License
>
> I tried to comprehend the license at one time but my brain turned to
> mush before I could finish it.

You are free to do with GPL software anything you like as long as you
don't distribute it or you distribute it to others under same license.
License does not guarantee any support from software vendor.

List address: [hidden email]
List archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.user

Re: Squirrel Mail license

Marson Jesse
Hello Squirrel mail

Thank you for your responses.  I am sorry but I have one further question I really need to qualify.  On your website it says that:
  • Licenses are $0 per license when purchased in small quantities (1-50)
  • Bulk licenses are $0 each (51-500)
  • If you need more licenses we can work out custom pricing.

However, I was told my a Squirrel Mail representative:

SquirrelMail is free software released under GPL v2. *It doesn't cost you
anything to use it regardless of how many users*, servers, CPUs, clicks or
amount of data you have.

Perhaps I have misunderstood something, but I just want to be clear if there is "no cost regardless of how many users" or if I need more licenses "we can work out custom pricing."

Thanks in advance,

take care,

2013/4/16 Tomas Kuliavas <[hidden email]>
> On 15/04/2013, Fredrik Jervfors <[hidden email]> wrote:
> <snipped>
>> The full license text for GPL can be found here:
>> http://squirrelmail.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/squirrelmail/branches/SM-1_4-STABLE/squirrelmail/doc/COPYING?revision=13456
>>
>> Also see:
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_General_Public_License
>
> I tried to comprehend the license at one time but my brain turned to
> mush before I could finish it.

You are free to do with GPL software anything you like as long as you
don't distribute it or you distribute it to others under same license.
License does not guarantee any support from software vendor.

List address: [hidden email]
List archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.user

List address: [hidden email]
List archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.user

"we can work out custom pricing."
SquirrelMail is free software licensed under GPL. It comes with no charge and no license restrictions. That wiki page was supposed to make you smile and not to raise questions about user based licensing.

Re: Squirrel Mail license

Tilman Schmidt
Am 20.04.2013 03:23, schrieb Marson Jesse:

> Thank you for your responses.  I am sorry but I have one further
> question I really need to qualify.  On your website it says that:
>
>   * Licenses are $0 per license when purchased in small quantities (1-50)
>   * Bulk licenses are $0 each (51-500)
>   * If you need more licenses we can work out custom pricing.
>
> However, I was told my a Squirrel Mail representative:
>
> SquirrelMail is free software released under GPL v2. *It doesn't cost you
> anything to use it regardless of how many users*, servers, CPUs, clicks or
> amount of data you have.
>
> Perhaps I have misunderstood something, but I just want to be clear if
> there is "no cost regardless of how many users" or if I need more
> licenses "we can work out custom pricing."

Consulting the following Wikipedia articles might help:

 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humour
 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irony
 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parody

List address: [hidden email]
List archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.user

Re: Squirrel Mail license

Marson,

On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 6:23 PM, Marson Jesse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Squirrel mail
>
> Thank you for your responses.  I am sorry but I have one further question I
> really need to qualify.  On your website it says that:
>
> Licenses are $0 per license when purchased in small quantities (1-50)
> Bulk licenses are $0 each (51-500)
> If you need more licenses we can work out custom pricing.
>
> However, I was told my a Squirrel Mail representative:
>
> SquirrelMail is free software released under GPL v2. *It doesn't cost you
> anything to use it regardless of how many users*, servers, CPUs, clicks or
> amount of data you have.
>
> Perhaps I have misunderstood something, but I just want to be clear if there
> is "no cost regardless of how many users" or if I need more licenses "we can
> work out custom pricing."

It might be advisable to do a little research on what Open Source
Software is.  SquirrelMail is not a company, and we have nothing to
sell.  However, if you are part of a company who plans to use
SquirrelMail, and somehow profit from it (directly or indirectly), it
is considered courteous to either think about hiring some of the
SquirrelMail developers to maintain or enhance your system, or to make
a donation to the SquirrelMail project.

Cheers,

 Paul

List address: [hidden email]