Special folders not translatable

Narcis Garcia - GiLUG
SquirrelMail identifies main folder as INBOX, and for this reason it can
be translatable in the interface (no one needs to rename an Inbox folder
on the IMAP account).

SquirrelMail also 'knows' which folders are acting as Sent, Drafts and
Trash (I don't know if also "Junk"), interface translations don't
include those.
The translations are mainly an interface matter, not to interfere in
IMAP treatment.

I've found in docummentation that the way is to rename special folders
on defaults or account preferences, but it breaks any compatibility with
other MUA (same account managed with SqM and M.Thunderbird or N.Evolution).

Some patching solution for the current versions?

List address: [hidden email]
List archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.internationalization

Re: Special folders not translatable

Tomas Kuliavas
Actiu informatica wrote
SquirrelMail identifies main folder as INBOX, and for this reason it can
be translatable in the interface (no one needs to rename an Inbox folder
on the IMAP account).

SquirrelMail also 'knows' which folders are acting as Sent, Drafts and
Trash (I don't know if also "Junk"), interface translations don't
include those.
The translations are mainly an interface matter, not to interfere in
IMAP treatment.

I've found in docummentation that the way is to rename special folders
on defaults or account preferences, but it breaks any compatibility with
other MUA (same account managed with SqM and M.Thunderbird or N.Evolution).
http://topolis.lt/screen-shots/folders-i18n.png
This kind of compatibility?

Actiu informatica wrote
Some patching solution for the current versions?
Port changes from 1.5.x to 1.4 or look at Evolution screenshot and decide who's implementation is better.

Re: Special folders not translatable

Narcis Garcia - GiLUG
I'm asking for an interface translation. Not touching anything in IMAP
folders.

Al 23/02/11 17:49, En/na Tomas Kuliavas ha escrit:

> Actiu informatica wrote:
>>
>> SquirrelMail identifies main folder as INBOX, and for this reason it can
>> be translatable in the interface (no one needs to rename an Inbox folder
>> on the IMAP account).
>>
>> SquirrelMail also 'knows' which folders are acting as Sent, Drafts and
>> Trash (I don't know if also "Junk"), interface translations don't
>> include those.
>> The translations are mainly an interface matter, not to interfere in
>> IMAP treatment.
>>
>> I've found in docummentation that the way is to rename special folders
>> on defaults or account preferences, but it breaks any compatibility with
>> other MUA (same account managed with SqM and M.Thunderbird or
>> N.Evolution).
>>
> http://topolis.lt/screen-shots/folders-i18n.png
> This kind of compatibility?
>

> Actiu informatica wrote:
>>
>> Some patching solution for the current versions?
>>
> Port changes from 1.5.x to 1.4 or look at Evolution screenshot and decide
> who's implementation is better.

List address: [hidden email]
List archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.internationalization

Re: Special folders not translatable

Tomas Kuliavas
Actiu informatica wrote
I'm asking for an interface translation. Not touching anything in IMAP
folders.
In IMAP only INBOX folder is special. Any other folder is just a folder. My screenshot shows what happens when translators start rewriting folder names. Screenshot is not for IMAP. It shows local folders used by Evolution. Correct solution is to use translated imap folders. Rewriting special folders will create confusion between two folders with same name.

Please stop top posting and follow reply style used in first reply. If some person responds with top post, you are free to follow that style. If you insist on top posting when reply is on the bottom, you make it harder to follow conversation.

Re: Special folders not translatable

Narcis Garcia - GiLUG
Al 23/02/11 19:47, En/na Tomas Kuliavas ha escrit:

> Actiu informatica wrote:
>>
>> I'm asking for an interface translation. Not touching anything in IMAP
>> folders.
>>
> In IMAP only INBOX folder is special. Any other folder is just a folder. My
> screenshot shows what happens when translators start rewriting folder names.
> Screenshot is not for IMAP. It shows local folders used by Evolution.
> Correct solution is to use translated imap folders. Rewriting special
> folders will create confusion between two folders with same name.
>
> Please stop top posting and follow reply style used in first reply. If some
> person responds with top post, you are free to follow that style. If you
> insist on top posting when reply is on the bottom, you make it harder to
> follow conversation.

SquirrelMail manages the four INBOX/Sent/Trash/Drafts as special
folders. It can be seen in Folder Preferences, where the label for the 3
additional special folders is translated.
When the Sent/Trash/Drafts are presented on folders list, they can be
presented with those labels (or shorter alternative translations).
How does it N.Evolution or M.Thunderbird? Those other MUA programs
respect existing names Sent/Trash/Drafts in IMAP server, but show them
translated to user.
If user changes special folder names in SquirrelMail, the confusion
begins with other MUA software accessing the same account.

List address: [hidden email]
List archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.internationalization