[SM-USERS] vacation_local error

info-403
Hi,

I installed vacation_local plugin, using $vacation_backend=suid.
When used, Sender receives a message "Undelivered Mail Returned to
Sender", reporting:
Command died with status 1: "/usr/bin/vacation <username>"

In logfiles I found out, that the .vacation.db file is not created in
user's homedir (all other .vacation-files and .forward-files are). Problem
is solved if "vacation -I" is executed.
But when vacation option is set to off, this .vacation.db is deleted, and
thus next time vacation is used, the problem is back.

How to solve this?? Can I insert a command "vacation -I" somewhere, and
where should this have to be?

--
L. de Braal
BraHa Systems

Re: [SM-USERS] vacation_local error

info-403
> [hidden email] a écrit :
>> Hi,
>>
>> I installed vacation_local plugin, using $vacation_backend=suid.
>> When used, Sender receives a message "Undelivered Mail Returned to
>> Sender", reporting:
>> Command died with status 1: "/usr/bin/vacation <username>"
>>
>> In logfiles I found out, that the .vacation.db file is not created in
>> user's homedir (all other .vacation-files and .forward-files are).
>> Problem
>> is solved if "vacation -I" is executed.
>> But when vacation option is set to off, this .vacation.db is deleted,
>> and
>> thus next time vacation is used, the problem is back.
>>
>> How to solve this?? Can I insert a command "vacation -I" somewhere, and
>> where should this have to be?
>>

> In the file config.php of vacation_local, remove the line :
>
> $vacation_delete = '.vacation.db';

Would this not have the effect, that after the users put vacation off and
later back on, the adresses stay in the .db file, thus resulting in NOT
sending a message, because the system thinks it is already done?

> Jean-Claude

Re: [SM-USERS] vacation_local error

Jean-Claude Repetto
[hidden email] a écrit :

>>[hidden email] a écrit :
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>I installed vacation_local plugin, using $vacation_backend=suid.
>>>When used, Sender receives a message "Undelivered Mail Returned to
>>>Sender", reporting:
>>>Command died with status 1: "/usr/bin/vacation <username>"
>>>
>>>In logfiles I found out, that the .vacation.db file is not created in
>>>user's homedir (all other .vacation-files and .forward-files are).
>>>Problem
>>>is solved if "vacation -I" is executed.
>>>But when vacation option is set to off, this .vacation.db is deleted,
>>>and
>>>thus next time vacation is used, the problem is back.
>>>
>>>How to solve this?? Can I insert a command "vacation -I" somewhere, and
>>>where should this have to be?
>>>

>>In the file config.php of vacation_local, remove the line :
>>
>>$vacation_delete = '.vacation.db';
>

> Would this not have the effect, that after the users put vacation off and
> later back on, the adresses stay in the .db file, thus resulting in NOT
> sending a message, because the system thinks it is already done?

Yes, probably.

Jean-Claude

Re: [SM-USERS] vacation_local error

Paul Lesniewski

Jean-Claude Repetto wrote:

> [hidden email] a écrit :

>>> In the file config.php of vacation_local, remove the line :
>>>
>>> $vacation_delete = '.vacation.db';
>>

>> Would this not have the effect, that after the users put vacation off and
>> later back on, the adresses stay in the .db file, thus resulting in NOT
>> sending a message, because the system thinks it is already done?
>>

> Yes, probably.

Yes.  The solution is not the above.  The solution is to search the
mailing list archives as suggested in the posting guidelines, where you
will find that there is a new version yet to be released that contains
-I functionality.  If you can't get it from the archives, ask off list
for a copy.

-paul

Re: [SM-USERS] vacation_local error

info-403

>>> Would this not have the effect, that after the users put vacation off
>>> and
>>> later back on, the adresses stay in the .db file, thus resulting in NOT
>>> sending a message, because the system thinks it is already done?
>>>

>> Yes, probably.
>
> Yes.  The solution is not the above.  The solution is to search the
> mailing list archives as suggested in the posting guidelines, where you
> will find that there is a new version yet to be released that contains
> -I functionality.  If you can't get it from the archives, ask off list
> for a copy.

I got vacation_local-2.1-1.4-alpha-2.tar.gz and have set the necessary in
the config-files.
I get:
ACTION: init === REMOTE: === LOCAL: === USER: xxxx === PASSWORD: xxxxxx

An error occurred initializing the autoresponder:

In the users's homedir there is no .vacation.db. What else could I check??

[hidden email] wrote:

> I got vacation_local-2.1-1.4-alpha-2.tar.gz and have set the necessary in
> the config-files.
> I get:
> ACTION: init === REMOTE: === LOCAL: === USER: xxxx === PASSWORD: xxxxxx
>
> An error occurred initializing the autoresponder:

There is no further message?  Maybe look in web server logs or system
log.  Try running command on command line.  Make sure you set up any
related Makefile options, etc.

Re: [SM-USERS] vacation_local error

info-403

>> I got vacation_local-2.1-1.4-alpha-2.tar.gz and have set the necessary
>> in
>> the config-files.
>> I get:
>> ACTION: init === REMOTE: === LOCAL: === USER: xxxx === PASSWORD: xxxxxx
>>
>> An error occurred initializing the autoresponder:
>>

> There is no further message?  Maybe look in web server logs or system
> log.  Try running command on command line.  Make sure you set up any
> related Makefile options, etc.

I did all that. The errorline above comes out of vac_init.php. There is
nothing more behind the colon. I checked /var/log/messages, maillogs and
all apache2 logs, but no errors reported there.
If I use vacation -I as the user in his homedir, it works, .vacation.db is
created then, without any further output.
I also have compiled with DEBUG -D DEBUG, giving no clues. Same "error
occurred", no more.
These are the settings in config.mk:
BINDIR = ..
WEBUSER = wwwrun
VACATION_PATH = /usr/bin/vacation
VACATION_INIT_FLAG = -I
RESTRICTUSE = -D RESTRICTUSE
NOROOT = -D NOROOT
USESHADOW = -D USESHADOW
DEBUG = -D DEBUG
LCRYPT = -lcrypt
LIBDIR =
CFLAGS = -g
LFLAGS = -g
CCM = cc -Em

Settings in config.php:
<?php
global $forward_data, $sq_vacation_file, $vacation_file,
       $username, $mail_vacation_binary, $sq_forward_addresses_file,
       $vacation_delete, $mail_vacation_binary, $forward_file,
       $vac_debug, $vacation_backend, $ftp_server, $ftp_passive,
       $sq_vacation_subject_file, $ldap_lookup_ftp_server,
       $vacation_path, $maintain_dot_forward_file, $vacation_prefs_file,
       $ldap_base, $ldap_server, $ldap_attribute, $always_initialize,
       $set_hostname;
$vacation_backend = 'suid';
$ldap_lookup_ftp_server = 0;
$ldap_base = 'ou=People,dc=DOMAIN,dc=com';
$ldap_server = 'your.ldap.server.com';
$ldap_attribute = 'mailhost';
$mail_vacation_binary = './squirrelmail_vacation_proxy';
$vacation_prefs_file = '.vacation.pref';
$sq_vacation_subject_file = '.forward.subj';
$sq_forward_addresses_file = '.forward.fwd';
$sq_vacation_file = '.vacation.sq';
$vacation_file = '.vacation.msg';
$vacation_delete = '.vacation.db';
$maintain_dot_forward_file = 1;
$always_initialize = 1;
$vacation_path = '/usr/bin/vacation';
$forward_file = '.forward';
$set_hostname = 0;
$vac_debug = 1;
?>

[hidden email] wrote:

>>>I got vacation_local-2.1-1.4-alpha-2.tar.gz and have set the necessary
>>>in
>>>the config-files.
>>>I get:
>>>ACTION: init === REMOTE: === LOCAL: === USER: xxxx === PASSWORD: xxxxxx
>>>
>>>An error occurred initializing the autoresponder:
>>>

>>There is no further message?  Maybe look in web server logs or system
>>log.  Try running command on command line.  Make sure you set up any
>>related Makefile options, etc.
>

> I did all that. The errorline above comes out of vac_init.php. There is
> nothing more behind the colon. I checked /var/log/messages, maillogs and
> all apache2 logs, but no errors reported there.
> If I use vacation -I as the user in his homedir, it works, .vacation.db is
> created then, without any further output.

But you did not run the binary from the command line, which is what you
should do.

cd plugins/vacation_local
squirrelmail_vacation_proxy 'localhost' 'your_username_here'
'your_password_here' 'init' '???' '???'

Or better yet, preface that last one with

sudo -u wwwrun

Previously, the plugin was working for you, right?  Other parts of it
work, just not the -I?

> I also have compiled with DEBUG -D DEBUG, giving no clues. Same "error
> occurred", no more.
> These are the settings in config.mk:
> BINDIR = ..
> WEBUSER = wwwrun
> VACATION_PATH = /usr/bin/vacation
> VACATION_INIT_FLAG = -I
> RESTRICTUSE = -D RESTRICTUSE
> NOROOT = -D NOROOT
> USESHADOW = -D USESHADOW
> DEBUG = -D DEBUG
> LCRYPT = -lcrypt
> LIBDIR =
> CFLAGS = -g
> LFLAGS = -g
> CCM = cc -Em
>
> Settings in config.php:
> <?php
> global $forward_data, $sq_vacation_file, $vacation_file,
>        $username, $mail_vacation_binary, $sq_forward_addresses_file,
>        $vacation_delete, $mail_vacation_binary, $forward_file,
>        $vac_debug, $vacation_backend, $ftp_server, $ftp_passive,
>        $sq_vacation_subject_file, $ldap_lookup_ftp_server,
>        $vacation_path, $maintain_dot_forward_file, $vacation_prefs_file,
>        $ldap_base, $ldap_server, $ldap_attribute, $always_initialize,
>        $set_hostname;
> $vacation_backend = 'suid';
> $ldap_lookup_ftp_server = 0;
> $ldap_base = 'ou=People,dc=DOMAIN,dc=com';
> $ldap_server = 'your.ldap.server.com';
> $ldap_attribute = 'mailhost';
> $mail_vacation_binary = './squirrelmail_vacation_proxy';
> $vacation_prefs_file = '.vacation.pref';
> $sq_vacation_subject_file = '.forward.subj';
> $sq_forward_addresses_file = '.forward.fwd';
> $sq_vacation_file = '.vacation.sq';
> $vacation_file = '.vacation.msg';
> $vacation_delete = '.vacation.db';
> $maintain_dot_forward_file = 1;
> $always_initialize = 1;
> $vacation_path = '/usr/bin/vacation';
> $forward_file = '.forward';
> $set_hostname = 0;
> $vac_debug = 1;
> ?>

Re: [SM-USERS] vacation_local error

info-403

> [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>> If I use vacation -I as the user in his homedir, it works, .vacation.db
>> is
>> created then, without any further output.
>
> But you did not run the binary from the command line, which is what you
> should do.
>
> cd plugins/vacation_local
> squirrelmail_vacation_proxy 'localhost' 'your_username_here'
> 'your_password_here' 'init' '???' '???'
>
> Or better yet, preface that last one with
>
> sudo -u wwwrun

In /var/log/messages:
Sep 20 19:03:18 mail sudo:     root : TTY=pts/1 ;
PWD=/srv/www/htdocs/squirrelmail/plugins/vacation_local ; USER=wwwrun ;
COMMAND=./squirrelmail_vacation_proxy localhost xxxx xxxxxxxx init ??? ???

This is executed out of the homedir of the user, which did not work either:
Sep 20 19:09:03 mail sudo:     root : TTY=pts/1 ; PWD=/home/xxxx ;
USER=wwwrun ;
COMMAND=/srv/www/htdocs/squirrelmail/plugins/vacation_local/squirrelmail_vacation_proxy
localhost xxxx xxxxxxxx init ??? ???

There is no .vacation.db and no errors.

> Previously, the plugin was working for you, right?  Other parts of it
> work, just not the -I?

Yes, if i execute a vacation -I by hand, from the commandline, logged in
as the user in homedir, I get a .vacation.db file. Command generates no
further output.
Vacation-mail is sent to Sender, and only once, as long as vacation is not
ended. So everything works, except generating of .vacation.db

[hidden email] wrote:

>>[hidden email] wrote:
>>
>>>If I use vacation -I as the user in his homedir, it works, .vacation.db
>>>is
>>>created then, without any further output.
>>
>>But you did not run the binary from the command line, which is what you
>>should do.
>>
>>cd plugins/vacation_local
>>squirrelmail_vacation_proxy 'localhost' 'your_username_here'
>>'your_password_here' 'init' '???' '???'
>>
>>Or better yet, preface that last one with
>>
>>sudo -u wwwrun
>>

> In /var/log/messages:
> Sep 20 19:03:18 mail sudo:     root : TTY=pts/1 ;
> PWD=/srv/www/htdocs/squirrelmail/plugins/vacation_local ; USER=wwwrun ;
> COMMAND=./squirrelmail_vacation_proxy localhost xxxx xxxxxxxx init ??? ???

Then you might want to insert some debugging in the vacation binary
itself -- perhaps output the UID/GID right before the init is executed,
to make sure it is executed as the right user.  Or maybe there is a
problem with the location from which it is run.  I don't have time ATM
to help, so you are encouraged to dig on your own if you know some C.
Let me know either way.

> This is executed out of the homedir of the user, which did not work either:
> Sep 20 19:09:03 mail sudo:     root : TTY=pts/1 ; PWD=/home/xxxx ;
> USER=wwwrun ;
> COMMAND=/srv/www/htdocs/squirrelmail/plugins/vacation_local/squirrelmail_vacation_proxy
> localhost xxxx xxxxxxxx init ??? ???
>
> There is no .vacation.db and no errors.
>

>>Previously, the plugin was working for you, right?  Other parts of it
>>work, just not the -I?
>

> Yes, if i execute a vacation -I by hand, from the commandline, logged in
> as the user in homedir, I get a .vacation.db file. Command generates no
> further output.
> Vacation-mail is sent to Sender, and only once, as long as vacation is not
> ended. So everything works, except generating of .vacation.db

To be clear, I am asking if the *plugin* (not vacation -I) works for
other things, like saving the message files to the user home directory, etc.

Re: [SM-USERS] vacation_local error

info-403

> [hidden email] wrote:

>>>But you did not run the binary from the command line, which is what you
>>>should do.
>>>
>>>cd plugins/vacation_local
>>>squirrelmail_vacation_proxy 'localhost' 'your_username_here'
>>>'your_password_here' 'init' '???' '???'
>>>
>>>Or better yet, preface that last one with
>>>
>>>sudo -u wwwrun
>>>

>> In /var/log/messages:
>> Sep 20 19:03:18 mail sudo:     root : TTY=pts/1 ;
>> PWD=/srv/www/htdocs/squirrelmail/plugins/vacation_local ; USER=wwwrun ;
>> COMMAND=./squirrelmail_vacation_proxy localhost xxxx xxxxxxxx init ???
>> ???
>
> Then you might want to insert some debugging in the vacation binary
> itself -- perhaps output the UID/GID right before the init is executed,
> to make sure it is executed as the right user.  Or maybe there is a
> problem with the location from which it is run.  I don't have time ATM
> to help, so you are encouraged to dig on your own if you know some C.
> Let me know either way.
>
>> This is executed out of the homedir of the user, which did not work
>> either:
>> Sep 20 19:09:03 mail sudo:     root : TTY=pts/1 ; PWD=/home/xxxx ;
>> USER=wwwrun ;
>> COMMAND=/srv/www/htdocs/squirrelmail/plugins/vacation_local/squirrelmail_vacation_proxy
>> localhost xxxx xxxxxxxx init ??? ???
>>
>> There is no .vacation.db and no errors.
>>

>>>Previously, the plugin was working for you, right?  Other parts of it
>>>work, just not the -I?
>>

>> Yes, if i execute a vacation -I by hand, from the commandline, logged in
>> as the user in homedir, I get a .vacation.db file. Command generates no
>> further output.
>> Vacation-mail is sent to Sender, and only once, as long as vacation is
>> not
>> ended. So everything works, except generating of .vacation.db
>
> To be clear, I am asking if the *plugin* (not vacation -I) works for
> other things, like saving the message files to the user home directory,
> etc.

Yes, I understand, and everything works. Message and subject is saved, and
sent to Sender (provided there is a .vacation.db). If the .db-file is not
present, the Sender gets a bounce message from postfix:

Command died with status 1: "/usr/bin/vacation <user>"

and a message in mail.log about missing .vacation.db

But the plugin works.

I am not much of a programmer, but I will try to find some time to dig
into it.

Thanks so far, will keep you posted.

Re: [SM-USERS] vacation_local error

Please reply on-list

>>Then you might want to insert some debugging in the vacation binary
>>itself -- perhaps output the UID/GID right before the init is executed,
>>to make sure it is executed as the right user.  Or maybe there is a
>>problem with the location from which it is run.  I don't have time ATM
>>to help, so you are encouraged to dig on your own if you know some C.
>>Let me know either way.
>>

> stracing gave me a clue:
>
> Invalid user
>
> In stracereport:
> open("/etc/shadow", O_RDONLY)           = -1 EACCES (Permission denied)
>
> I think this happens when next code is hit:
>
> #ifdef USESHADOW
>         if ((spw=getspnam(puid))==NULL)
>         {
>                 printf("Invalid user\n ");         <<--------

<snip>

> I checked /etc/shadow:
>
> mail:/etc # l shadow
> -rw-r-----  1 root shadow 832 2005-09-12 17:38 shadow
>
> I chmod 644 shadow, but that does not help. shadow is read alright then,

Well, that code should be being used for other actions too.  So changing
permissions should not be the issue.  Do you see if there is a
difference in how the user is looked up for actions other than init?
Try to see why it'd work in any case beside init.

> but it halts on:
>        setuid(0);
>
> open("/etc/shadow", O_RDONLY)           = 3
> fcntl64(3, F_GETFD)                     = 0
> fcntl64(3, F_SETFD, FD_CLOEXEC)         = 0
> _llseek(3, 0, [0], SEEK_CUR)            = 0
> fstat64(3, {st_mode=S_IFREG|0644, st_size=832, ...}) = 0
> mmap2(NULL, 832, PROT_READ, MAP_SHARED, 3, 0) = 0x40018000
> _llseek(3, 832, [832], SEEK_SET)        = 0
> munmap(0x40018000, 832)                 = 0
> close(3)                                = 0
> setuid32(0)                             = -1 EPERM (Operation not permitted)
> getcwd("/srv/www/htdocs/squirrelmail/plugins/vacation_local", 512) = 52
> clone(child_stack=0,
> flags=CLONE_CHILD_CLEARTID|CLONE_CHILD_SETTID|SIGCHLD, chil
> d_tidptr=0x40050868) = 1798
> waitpid(1798, [{WIFEXITED(s) && WEXITSTATUS(s) == 0}], 0) = 1798
> --- SIGCHLD (Child exited) @ 0 (0) ---
> exit_group(0)                           = ?
>
> In the strace-report it says "setuid32(0)". As I cannot find this call in
> your src-code, I said it halted on setuid(0), but as said before, I am not
> much of a programmer, so I am not sure of this.

Somewhere there should be a setuid call.  I will look later if you don't
find it.

> Besides changing mod of shadow-file, I also added wwwrun user to grp
> shadow, and changed shadow to grp root. This made no difference.

I would recommend strongly against this.  If the plugin works for other
actions, it presumably had been successfully using the shadow database
already -- something is just afowl with the init action.

> Furthermore I compiled squirrelmail_vacation_proxy without USE_SHADOW, but
> then I get error "Bad password".
>
> I do not exactly understand what is going on, maybe if you can find the
> time, you could think about it.

Thanks, I might try much later tonight, but am pretty busy ATM.  Thanks
for your good help!

 -paul

[hidden email] wrote:

>>Then you might want to insert some debugging in the vacation binary
>>itself -- perhaps output the UID/GID right before the init is executed,
>>to make sure it is executed as the right user.  Or maybe there is a
>>problem with the location from which it is run.  I don't have time ATM
>>to help, so you are encouraged to dig on your own if you know some C.
>>Let me know either way.
>>

> stracing gave me a clue:
>
> Invalid user
I am curious why you only see this with strace.  Are you executing it on
the command line?  Printf should go to the console if so.

> In stracereport:
> open("/etc/shadow", O_RDONLY)           = -1 EACCES (Permission denied)
>
> I think this happens when next code is hit:
>
> #ifdef USESHADOW
>         if ((spw=getspnam(puid))==NULL)
>         {
>                 printf("Invalid user\n ");         <<--------
>                 exit(1);
>         }
>         testpwd = crypt(argv[PSWD], spw->sp_pwdp);
>         if (strcmp(testpwd, spw->sp_pwdp) != 0)
>         {
>                 printf("Bad password\n ");
>                 exit(1);
>         }
> #else
>         testpwd = crypt(argv[PSWD], pw->pw_passwd);
>         if (strcmp(testpwd, pw->pw_passwd) != 0)
>         {
>                 printf("Bad password\n ");
>                 exit(1);
>         }
> #endif /* USESHADOW */
>
> (lines 185-204)
These lines are not very similar to what I have.  Not sure why.  You
might have an out of date version.  Attached is a newer version that you
might try (of at least the vacation_binary files).

> I checked /etc/shadow:
>
> mail:/etc # l shadow
> -rw-r-----  1 root shadow 832 2005-09-12 17:38 shadow
>
> I chmod 644 shadow, but that does not help. shadow is read alright then,

Again, bad idea IMO.

> but it halts on:
>        setuid(0);
>
> open("/etc/shadow", O_RDONLY)           = 3
> fcntl64(3, F_GETFD)                     = 0
> fcntl64(3, F_SETFD, FD_CLOEXEC)         = 0
> _llseek(3, 0, [0], SEEK_CUR)            = 0
> fstat64(3, {st_mode=S_IFREG|0644, st_size=832, ...}) = 0
> mmap2(NULL, 832, PROT_READ, MAP_SHARED, 3, 0) = 0x40018000
> _llseek(3, 832, [832], SEEK_SET)        = 0
> munmap(0x40018000, 832)                 = 0
> close(3)                                = 0
> setuid32(0)                             = -1 EPERM (Operation not permitted)
> getcwd("/srv/www/htdocs/squirrelmail/plugins/vacation_local", 512) = 52
> clone(child_stack=0,
> flags=CLONE_CHILD_CLEARTID|CLONE_CHILD_SETTID|SIGCHLD, chil
> d_tidptr=0x40050868) = 1798
> waitpid(1798, [{WIFEXITED(s) && WEXITSTATUS(s) == 0}], 0) = 1798
> --- SIGCHLD (Child exited) @ 0 (0) ---
> exit_group(0)                           = ?
>
> In the strace-report it says "setuid32(0)". As I cannot find this call in
> your src-code, I said it halted on setuid(0), but as said before, I am not
> much of a programmer, so I am not sure of this.
> Besides changing mod of shadow-file, I also added wwwrun user to grp
> shadow, and changed shadow to grp root. This made no difference.
>
> Furthermore I compiled squirrelmail_vacation_proxy without USE_SHADOW, but
> then I get error "Bad password".
>
> I do not exactly understand what is going on, maybe if you can find the
> time, you could think about it.
I looked thru the code briefly and I don't see any reason why it'd work
for all actions except the init.  There might be a problem if the init
has to be executed as the user in question, but it doesn't even seem
like you are getting that far.  The shadow check and setuid() call all
happen before any action is processed.  So maybe you should strace
another action too.

 - paul

vacation_local-2.1-1.4-beta-3.tar.gz (53K) Download Attachment

[SM-USERS] Re: vacation_local error

PHH_sysadmin
> Yes, I understand, and everything works. Message and subject is saved, and
> sent to Sender (provided there is a .vacation.db). If the .db-file is not
> present, the Sender gets a bounce message from postfix:
>
> Command died with status 1: "/usr/bin/vacation <user>"
>
> and a message in mail.log about missing .vacation.db
>
> But the plugin works.
>
> I am not much of a programmer, but I will try to find some time to dig
> into it.
>
> Thanks so far, will keep you posted.

Hi all,

I had this problem as well.  I installed the vacation_local, jumped through the
hoops to get it working, and was able to get the plugin working.  However, the
actual sending of the vacation message was getting the "Command died with status
1" error.

I knew that the problem had to do with the missing .vacation.db file because I
encountered and fixed this before but that was not with a webmail interface and
plugin so this was some new territory for me.

I am running:
-- SquirrelMail version 1.4.5
-- SquirrelMail vacation_local plugin version 2.0
-- Postfix 2.1.1

I could not find the alpha or beta file of vacation_local floating around so I
had to configure what I had.

Because the interface runs as the apache server user such as "wwwrun" it does
not have the permission to write to the users home directory.  So to resolve
this I set up a sudoers file to allow "wwwrun" to run the vacation
initialization as the user setting the vacation message.  So I had to give
permission to "wwwrun" for all of the users who need to write the messages.  I
only have around 23 users who need to be set up with this so this configuration
is not a big deal for me.  There could be a better way of doing such as giving
permissions to a group ID.  I didn't explore anything like that.

Using visudo here is the sudoers file I set up:
     Runas_Alias     POPMAIL = {list of users using the vacation utility}
     .
     .
     wwwrun  ALL=(POPMAIL) NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/vacation

This last statement tells the system that the user "wwwrun" can run the command
"/usr/bin/vacation" as any of the users in "POPMAIL" without entering an
password for that user.

The next thing I did was get the vacation_local to initialize the database after
a user entered in a vacation message.  To do this I edited the following:

vacation_local/config.php:
     I added the following statements:
             $sudo_binary = '/usr/bin/sudo -u';
             $vacation_initialize = '/usr/bin/vacation -I';

vacation_local/vac_init.php:
     I added the following statement:
             // upload
             //
             upload_data($forward_file_contents, $forward_file);
 ADDED ----> exec($sudo_binary . ' ' . $username . ' ' . $vacation_initialize);

The config.php file changes are just variable set ups.  The change to
vac_init.php tells the system that after the updated/new vacation message is
uploaded to the user's home directory it will run a vacation initialization as
the user who just did the message.

I have tested this several times and it works.  So, if anyone is having this
same problem and they don't have the next version that is supposed to
incorporate the initialization you can try out these changes I did and see how
it works for you.

Thanks all.

Trevor Cullingsworth

Re: [SM-USERS] vacation_local error

Sorry for the delay and the top-post.  I have changed some of the code
that does the initialization and made initialization available if you
are using the FTP backend as well (thanks to Trevor Cullingsworth for
the idea).  I will send it to you offlist and you should let me know if
it helps your problem.

Thanks,

 Paul

> [...]
>>your src-code, I said it halted on setuid(0), but as said before, I am not
>>much of a programmer, so I am not sure of this.
>>Besides changing mod of shadow-file, I also added wwwrun user to grp
>>shadow, and changed shadow to grp root. This made no difference.
>>
>>Furthermore I compiled squirrelmail_vacation_proxy without USE_SHADOW, but
>>then I get error "Bad password".
>>
>>I do not exactly understand what is going on, maybe if you can find the
>>time, you could think about it.
>

> I looked thru the code briefly and I don't see any reason why it'd work
> for all actions except the init.  There might be a problem if the init
> has to be executed as the user in question, but it doesn't even seem
> like you are getting that far.  The shadow check and setuid() call all
> happen before any action is processed.  So maybe you should strace

Re: [SM-USERS] Re: vacation_local error

Trevor,

> I had this problem as well.  I installed the vacation_local, jumped through the
> hoops to get it working, and was able to get the plugin working.  However, the
> actual sending of the vacation message was getting the "Command died with status
> 1" error.
>
> I knew that the problem had to do with the missing .vacation.db file because I
> encountered and fixed this before but that was not with a webmail interface and
> plugin so this was some new territory for me.
>
> I am running:
> -- SquirrelMail version 1.4.5
> -- SquirrelMail vacation_local plugin version 2.0
> -- Postfix 2.1.1
>
> I could not find the alpha or beta file of vacation_local floating around so I
> had to configure what I had.

Or you could ask for it...

> Because the interface runs as the apache server user such as "wwwrun" it does
> not have the permission to write to the users home directory.  So to resolve
> this I set up a sudoers file to allow "wwwrun" to run the vacation
> initialization as the user setting the vacation message.  So I had to give
> permission to "wwwrun" for all of the users who need to write the messages.  I
> only have around 23 users who need to be set up with this so this configuration
> is not a big deal for me.  There could be a better way of doing such as giving
> permissions to a group ID.  I didn't explore anything like that.
>
> Using visudo here is the sudoers file I set up:
>      Runas_Alias     POPMAIL = {list of users using the vacation utility}
>      .
>      .
>      wwwrun  ALL=(POPMAIL) NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/vacation

Thanks for the idea.  I integrated it as a way to run the initialization
if you are not using the suid backend.  Much appreciated.  I will send a
copy of the code offlist.

Cheers,

 Paul

Re: [SM-USERS] vacation_local error

info-403
> Sorry for the delay and the top-post.  I have changed some of the code
> that does the initialization and made initialization available if you
> are using the FTP backend as well (thanks to Trevor Cullingsworth for
> the idea).  I will send it to you offlist and you should let me know if
> it helps your problem.

Yeah, thanks to Trevor, this one works without errors!

Thanks, Paul.

--
L. de Braal
BraHa Systems