[SM-USERS] strange behavior when sending e-mail messages via squirrelmail

[SM-USERS] strange behavior when sending e-mail messages via squirrelmail

Eric S. Johansson
ubuntu 5.10 with all updates as of today
Apache 2.0.54
PHP 4.4.0-3
squirrelMail 1.4.4

If I run squirrel mail as ssl protected traffic on the standard 443
port, everything works fine.  If I run it on a nonstandard port like
12345, the e-mail sending process fails (sort of).

When you run on the standard SSL port, after composing a message and
pressing the send button, everything operates as expected and you are
taken back to the folder from which you started composing the message.

If you use a nonstandard port number, everything seems to operate okay
and the message is sent but the page never changes.  The user is left on
the compose page with the impression is that their message was not sent.

compose message on port 443, everything works okay
compose message on port 12345, message you sent but UI appears stuck on
the compose page.

I read the FAQs because it seems like this would be a real common
problem but there is nothing there.  I tried searching the archives but
I wasn't able to think of any search criteria that would yield an answer
to this problem.

any pointers to answers?

--- eric

Re: [SM-USERS] strange behavior when sending e-mail messages via squirrelmail

Jonathan Angliss wrote:

> Try taking a look through the archives for this list.  This comes up from
> time to time, and I'm working on a work around for it.  Try searching for
> pix or ssl firewall.  I cannot remember the exact name, but it will give
> you the information you should need.

thank you Jonathan.  You gave me the information I needed.  what I'm
seeing in the archives is that squirrel mail really is not comfortable
with address translation.  I was working with Cherokee and we
encountered some problems there but also, we found the following.  Don't
know if it's useful but it may be.

Alvaro Lopez Ortega wrote:

   After some debugging I got this:

===
HTTP/1.1 302 Moved Temporarily
Connection: Close
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 17:14:09 GMT
Server: Cherokee/0.4.28b3 (UNIX)
Location:
http://localhost:444/src/right_main.php?mailbox=INBOX&sort=0&startMessage=1
P3P: CP=3DNOI NID CURa OUR NOR UNI
===

   This is the header the server was sending as reply to the post
   action. It is a bit odd to reply with 302 to a POST, but.. ok, let's
   assume it is okay.

   But, wait a second, take a look at the Location line. I was
   configured to use the port 444 for TLS, and I accessed the server
   using "https://localhost:444", so.. why the hell is it redirecting
   the browser to http://..:444 ?

   At this moment, I realized the problem was on the SquirrelMail.
   After some debugging I found this code in functions/strings.php:

===
/*
  * If you have 'SSLOptions +StdEnvVars' in your apache config
  *     OR if you have HTTPS=on in your HTTP_SERVER_VARS
  *     OR if you are on port 443
  */
$getEnvVar = getenv('HTTPS');
if ((isset($getEnvVar) && !strcasecmp($getEnvVar, 'on')) ||
     (sqgetGlobalVar('HTTPS', $https_on, SQ_SERVER) &&
!strcasecmp($https_on, 'on')) ||
     (sqgetGlobalVar('SERVER_PORT', $server_port, SQ_SERVER) &&
$server_port == 443)) {
     $proto = 'https://';
}
===

   So, as long as the server is not on the default port, it is not
   Apache, and it didn't set the HTTPS environment variable, the web
   mail was assuming it was HTTP.

   Maybe I am wrong, but I think I haven't read about that variable in
   any RFC until now...  but anyway, Cherokee now adds the HTTPS
   variable, so it is working with the repository code.

so, at the end of the day I think I'm still stuck.  I really need to
make squirrelMail work via ssl on a nonstandard port behind an address
translation firewall.  And everything I've seen in the archives does not
build hope.  I don't know what happened. it was working until the latest
gentoo update screwed many things over.  very unpleasant.

--- eric