[SM-USERS] squirrelspell & win32

Damien Moore

Dear Squirrel Mailers

We continue to develop our Squirrel Mail setup using:
Win 2003 Server
Apache 2.0.54
PHP 4.4.0
Squirrel Mail 1.4.5

We are trying to implement the squirrelspell plugin version 0.3.8 (this is
the one included in the SM 1.4.5 distribution). We have installed the
win32 Aspell version 0.50.3, and edited sqspell_config to include:

$SQSPELL_APP = array('English' => 'c:\aspell\bin\aspell -a',
                     'Spanish' => 'c:\aspell\bin\aspell -d spanish -a');

So far so good. When clicking on "Check Spelling" we are first asked to
select language, and then the main dialog appears. The number of errors
found is correct, but all the little boxes are empty except "Suggestions",
and all we can do at this point is "Close and Cancel". If we use the
browser to view the page source for the popup we can see that the errors
have been correctly identified and corrections listed. (I have attached
the results of
"View Page Source" for this message.)

We have tested with both languages and the results are the same. We have
tried with Firefox 1.4.5, which is what we normally use, and also with
IE6-sp2, to no avail. Any suggestions?

Damien Moore

--
Data Conduction Limited
A3 Manor Development Centre

pagesource.txt (9K) Download Attachment

Re: [SM-USERS] squirrelspell & win32

Re: [SM-USERS] squirrelspell & win32

Damien Moore
>> Dear Squirrel Mailers
>>
>> We continue to develop our Squirrel Mail setup using:
>> Win 2003 Server
>> Apache 2.0.54
>> PHP 4.4.0
>> Squirrel Mail 1.4.5
>>
>> We are trying to implement the squirrelspell plugin version 0.3.8 (this
>> is the one included in the SM 1.4.5 distribution). We have installed the
>> win32 Aspell version 0.50.3, and edited sqspell_config to include:
>>
>> $SQSPELL_APP = array('English' => 'c:\aspell\bin\aspell -a',
>> 'Spanish' => 'c:\aspell\bin\aspell -d spanish -a');
>>
>> So far so good. When clicking on "Check Spelling" we are first asked to
>> select language, and then the main dialog appears. The number of errors
>> found is correct, but all the little boxes are empty except
>> "Suggestions", and all we can do at this point is "Close and Cancel".
>> If we use the browser to view the page source for the popup we can see
>> that the errors have been correctly identified and corrections listed.
>
> As suggested when first signing up to the list.  Please try reading the
> archives (you might consider the plugins and devel list archives too).  I
> believe it has been asked several times recently.  The issue is with
> ispell/aspell returning \r\n on windows instead of just \n.  There is a
> patch included in one of them if I remember correctly.
>
> - --
> Jonathan Angliss
> <[hidden email]>

Thank you for your prompt reply. We have looked through the archives and
come across several references, but the only fix we have found is a
suggestion from PajaP that an earlier version of the squirrelspell plugin
might work, possibly the one included with SM 1.4.3. Does anyone have
experience of this? Does anyone know where we can get the earlier version
to try it out?

Damien Moore

--
Data Conduction Limited
A3 Manor Development Centre
Alison Crescent
Sheffield S2 1AS
United Kingdom
t +44 (0)114 265 5060
f +44 (0)870 051 4981

Re: [SM-USERS] squirrelspell & win32

Tomas Kuliavas
>>> Dear Squirrel Mailers
>>>
>>> We continue to develop our Squirrel Mail setup using:
>>> Win 2003 Server
>>> Apache 2.0.54
>>> PHP 4.4.0
>>> Squirrel Mail 1.4.5
>>>
>>> We are trying to implement the squirrelspell plugin version 0.3.8 (this
>>> is the one included in the SM 1.4.5 distribution). We have installed
>>> the
>>> win32 Aspell version 0.50.3, and edited sqspell_config to include:
>>>
>>> $SQSPELL_APP = array('English' => 'c:\aspell\bin\aspell -a',
>>> 'Spanish' => 'c:\aspell\bin\aspell -d spanish -a');
>>>
>>> So far so good. When clicking on "Check Spelling" we are first asked to
>>> select language, and then the main dialog appears. The number of errors
>>> found is correct, but all the little boxes are empty except
>>> "Suggestions", and all we can do at this point is "Close and Cancel".
>>> If we use the browser to view the page source for the popup we can see
>>> that the errors have been correctly identified and corrections listed.
>>
>> As suggested when first signing up to the list.  Please try reading the
>> archives (you might consider the plugins and devel list archives too).
>> believe it has been asked several times recently.  The issue is with
>> ispell/aspell returning \r\n on windows instead of just \n.  There is a
>> patch included in one of them if I remember correctly.
>>
>> - --
>> Jonathan Angliss
>> <[hidden email]>
>>

> Thank you for your prompt reply. We have looked through the archives and
> come across several references, but the only fix we have found is a
> suggestion from PajaP that an earlier version of the squirrelspell plugin
> might work, possibly the one included with SM 1.4.3. Does anyone have
> experience of this? Does anyone know where we can get the earlier version
> to try it out?

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.plugins/10275

http://www.squirrelmail.org/wiki/KnownBugs

http://cvs.sf.net/viewcvs.py/squirrelmail/squirrelmail/plugins/squirrelspell/modules/check_me.mod?r1=1.10.2.10&r2=1.10.2.11

Or get plugins/squirrelspell/modules/check_me.mod from 1.4.6cvs. It fixes
your issue and some gettext/sprintf formating errors.

Re: [SM-USERS] squirrelspell & win32

Damien Moore

>>> As suggested when first signing up to the list.  Please try reading the
>>> archives (you might consider the plugins and devel list archives too).
>>> believe it has been asked several times recently.  The issue is with
>>> ispell/aspell returning \r\n on windows instead of just \n.  There is a
>>> patch included in one of them if I remember correctly.
>>>
>>> - --
>>> Jonathan Angliss
>>> <[hidden email]>
>>>

>> Thank you for your prompt reply. We have looked through the archives and
>> come across several references, but the only fix we have found is a
>> suggestion from PajaP that an earlier version of the squirrelspell
>> plugin
>> might work, possibly the one included with SM 1.4.3. Does anyone have
>> experience of this? Does anyone know where we can get the earlier
>> version
>> to try it out?
>
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.plugins/10275
>
> http://www.squirrelmail.org/wiki/KnownBugs
>
> >http://cvs.sf.net/viewcvs.py/squirrelmail/squirrelmail/plugins/squirrelspell/modules/check_me.mod?r1=1.10.2.10&r2=1.10.2.11
>
> Or get plugins/squirrelspell/modules/check_me.mod from 1.4.6cvs. It fixes
> your issue and some gettext/sprintf formating errors.
>
> --
> Tomas

Thank you for your suggestion. We downloaded v.1.10.2.11 of check_me.mod
and the problem referred to above went away. However things have gone from
bad to worse since then. The squirrelspell plugin does now work
occasionally, although Aspell ignores most of what we regard as
mis-spellings, but more often than not, and especially if the message is
more than a few hundred words, it causes the browser to crash while
waiting for the spelling dialog, and on several occasions we have had to
restart the Apache web server! Is there anyone out there who has ever got
this to work with a Windows server, or are we the only ones who have
tried? It would be a pity if this feature did not work because it is one
for which end users often ask.

Damien Moore

--
Data Conduction Limited
A3 Manor Development Centre
Alison Crescent
Sheffield S2 1AS
United Kingdom
t +44 (0)114 265 5060
f +44 (0)870 051 4981

Re: [SM-USERS] squirrelspell & win32

Tomas Kuliavas

>>> Thank you for your prompt reply. We have looked through the archives
>>> and
>>> come across several references, but the only fix we have found is a
>>> suggestion from PajaP that an earlier version of the squirrelspell
>>> plugin
>>> might work, possibly the one included with SM 1.4.3. Does anyone have
>>> experience of this? Does anyone know where we can get the earlier
>>> version
>>> to try it out?
>>
>> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.plugins/10275
>>
>> http://www.squirrelmail.org/wiki/KnownBugs
>>
>> >http://cvs.sf.net/viewcvs.py/squirrelmail/squirrelmail/plugins/squirrelspell/modules/check_me.mod?r1=1.10.2.10&r2=1.10.2.11
>>
>> Or get plugins/squirrelspell/modules/check_me.mod from 1.4.6cvs. It
>> fixes
>> your issue and some gettext/sprintf formating errors.
>>
>> --
>> Tomas
>>

> Thank you for your suggestion. We downloaded v.1.10.2.11 of check_me.mod
> and the problem referred to above went away. However things have gone from
> bad to worse since then. The squirrelspell plugin does now work
> occasionally, although Aspell ignores most of what we regard as
> mis-spellings, but more often than not, and especially if the message is
> more than a few hundred words, it causes the browser to crash while
> waiting for the spelling dialog, and on several occasions we have had to
> restart the Apache web server! Is there anyone out there who has ever got
> this to work with a Windows server, or are we the only ones who have
> tried? It would be a pity if this feature did not work because it is one
> for which end users often ask.

1. which aspell dictionary are you trying to use?

2. your php safe_mode and mbstring.func_overload settings

3. open plugins/squirrelspell/modules/check_me.mod, find 'if(
check_php_version ( 4, 3 ) ) {' and bump up php version number. For
example to 'if( check_php_version ( 4, 5 ) ) {'

If it solves apache lockups - you have buggy proc_open/proc_close
implementation.

If you upgrade SquirrelSpell from 1.4.5 to 1.4.6cvs version, situation
can't get worse. 1.4.6cvs changes only fixed some issues. They haven't
introduced any new code.