[SM-USERS] problem with some messages not being displayed

[SM-USERS] problem with some messages not being displayed

john habermann-2
Hi

I seem to have a problem with some messages not being displayed in
squirrelmail. I see the message in the list of messages without any
problems and it shows that it has an attachment. However when I click
on the message the message displays:

Subject:   All the Info you need for the UTSC Social Forum
From:   "W.A.R. U of T" <#######@gmail.com>
Date:   Sun, October 30, 2005 3:37 am
To:   ####@hotmail.com (more)

But nothing appears in the body. I can view this message fine if I
look at in sylpheed over IMAP and I can also view the message fine if
I look at in openxchange's webmail interface so the problem appears
specific to squirrelmail. The problem doesn't appear to be restricted
to messages from a particular server ie they are not all from gmail
addresses. I think that it might be restricted to messages with
attachments but most messages with attachments don't have this
problem. Anyone have any ideas?

Will keep trying to track down the cases where it is happening.

cheers
John
--
John Habermann
The Wilderness Society

Re: [SM-USERS] problem with some messages not being displayed

Re: [SM-USERS] problem with some messages not being displayed

Please try to CC the list on replies so they too can get the benefit of
the information.

On Sat, November 5, 2005 21:49, john habermann wrote:
>>> I seem to have a problem with some messages not being displayed in
>>> squirrelmail. I see the message in the list of messages without any
>>> problems and it shows that it has an attachment. However when I click
>>> on the message the message displays:
>>
>> [..]

>>> But nothing appears in the body. I can view this message fine if I
>>> look at in sylpheed over IMAP and I can also view the message fine if
>>> I look at in openxchange's webmail interface so the problem appears
>>> specific to squirrelmail. The problem doesn't appear to be restricted
>>> to messages from a particular server ie they are not all from gmail
>>> addresses. I think that it might be restricted to messages with
>>> attachments but most messages with attachments don't have this
>>> problem. Anyone have any ideas?

>> You've not really provided too much about your setup for us to be of
>> any help.

[..]

> My apologies I had done a quick search of the archives but hadn't come
> up with anything that appeared similar to my problem and fired off a quick
> email.

> The server is debian sarge and the squirrelmail version is Version:
> 2:1.4.5-1
> which I pulled in from testing.

> Php is the default debian sarge version 4.3.10-16
> Apache is the default 1.3 debian sarge version.

> The imap server is courier-imap and I am using the
> courier-imap-4.0.3.20050716 version built from source and this is running
> in conjunction with qmail compiled according to the instructions from the
> qmail rocks site with pataches as per the qmailrocks default install.

> Installed plugins are:
> Installed Plugins
> 1. translate
> 2. squirrelspell
> 3. administrator
> 4. newmail
> 5. sent_subfolders
> 6. listcommands
> 7. message_details
> 8. address_add
> 9. compatibility
> 10. autocomplete
> 11. calendar
> 12. calendar_file_backend
> 13. todo
> 14. gpg

Try disabling this one and see if it helps

> 15. html_mail
> 16. folder_synch
> 17. timeout_user
> 18. msg_flags
> 19. spamcop
> 20. forced_prefs

> The probem is that the some messages bodies are simply not displayed.

When you say "not displayed" do you mean the page comes up blank
completely, or do you mean that the page loads, but the actual email
contents are missing?

On 11/6/05, Jonathan Angliss <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Please try to CC the list on replies so they too can get the benefit of
> the information.

Sorry about that.

> >> [..]

> >> You've not really provided too much about your setup for us to be of
> >> any help.
>
> [..]
>
> > My apologies I had done a quick search of the archives but hadn't come
> > up with anything that appeared similar to my problem and fired off a quick
> > email.
>
> > The server is debian sarge and the squirrelmail version is Version:
> > 2:1.4.5-1
> > which I pulled in from testing.
>
> > Php is the default debian sarge version 4.3.10-16
> > Apache is the default 1.3 debian sarge version.
>
> > The imap server is courier-imap and I am using the
> > courier-imap-4.0.3.20050716 version built from source and this is running
> > in conjunction with qmail compiled according to the instructions from the
> > qmail rocks site with pataches as per the qmailrocks default install.
>
> > Installed plugins are:
> > Installed Plugins
> > 1. translate
> > 2. squirrelspell
> > 3. administrator
> > 4. newmail
> > 5. sent_subfolders
> > 6. listcommands
> > 7. message_details
> > 8. address_add
> > 9. compatibility
> > 10. autocomplete
> > 11. calendar
> > 12. calendar_file_backend
> > 13. todo
> > 14. gpg
>
> Try disabling this one and see if it helps

Beautiful it works fine now, I can see the body of the message is now
displayed. I wonder why the gpg plugin could be causing this the
message doesn't appear to be signed and is in plain text. These are
the attachments to the message:

untitled-[1.1] 1.6 k   [ text/plain ] Download  |  View
utsc_interior_colour.pdf 1.7 M   [ application/pdf ] Download
mq-mapgend.websys.aol.gif 106 k   [ image/gif ] Download
UTSC Social Forum Official Schedule.pdf 304 k   [ application/pdf ] Download

> > 15. html_mail
> > 16. folder_synch
> > 17. timeout_user
> > 18. msg_flags
> > 19. spamcop
> > 20. forced_prefs
>
> > The probem is that the some messages bodies are simply not displayed.
>
> When you say "not displayed" do you mean the page comes up blank
> completely, or do you mean that the page loads, but the actual email
> contents are missing?

The page loads but the actual email body is not displayed. So I would
see the following:

From:   "W.A.R. U of T" <#######@gmail.com>
Date:   Sun, October 30, 2005 3:37 am
To:   #######@hotmail.com (more)
details | Add to Addressbook

but there would be nothing in the body.

Thank you very much for your help Jonathan

On Sat, November 5, 2005 23:37, john habermann wrote:

[..]

>>> Installed plugins are:
>>> Installed Plugins
>>> 1. translate
>>> 2. squirrelspell
>>> 3. administrator
>>> 4. newmail
>>> 5. sent_subfolders
>>> 6. listcommands
>>> 7. message_details
>>> 8. address_add
>>> 9. compatibility
>>> 10. autocomplete
>>> 11. calendar
>>> 12. calendar_file_backend
>>> 13. todo
>>> 14. gpg

>> Try disabling this one and see if it helps

> Beautiful it works fine now, I can see the body of the message is now
> displayed. I wonder why the gpg plugin could be causing this the message
> doesn't appear to be signed and is in plain text. These are the
> attachments to the message:

I believe there is a small bug in which it is supposed to only be reading
a certain part of an attachment/email and instead it is reading the whole
email.  This results in too much memory being used, and in turn a PHP
error.

> untitled-[1.1] 1.6 k   [ text/plain ] Download  |  View
> utsc_interior_colour.pdf 1.7 M   [ application/pdf ]

See, a 1.7M PDF file is probably quite likely the cause.  I am sure if you
looked at the other emails you're having issues with, they too probably
have large emails.

I discussed this issue with Brian (gpg plugin developer) the other day and
we were working on a resolution.

Re: [SM-USERS] problem with some messages not being displayed

Re: [SM-USERS] problem with some messages not being displayed

Paul Lesniewski
> up, and caused memory issues.  The fix is actually incredibly easy.  Open
> plugins/gpg/setup.php, and around line 211 you should see something like:
>
>     if ((strrpos($filename,".asc") == (strlen($filename)-4)....
>
> Go to that line, and replace the strrpos with strpos (notice the missing
> extra r this time), and you can then re-enable your gpg plugin.
>
> I've already commited this to the cvs branch of the gpg plugin, and it
> should be in the next release.

Note that there is another instance of strrpos in gpg_decrypt.php

 - paul

Re: [SM-USERS] problem with some messages not being displayed