[SM-USERS] infamous errors

Steve Mueller - Frontier Adjusters, Inc.

Hi all – We’ve just upgraded to SquirrelMail version 1.4.3a-12.EL4.centos4  and we are now getting the infamous ‘You must be logged in to access this page’ and ‘Unknown user and pass’ messages for some but not all users.  I have tried several of the ‘fixes’ mentioned in http://www.squirrelmail.org/wiki/LoginError and http://www.squirrelmail.org/wiki/CookieRequirement wiki entries to no avail.  What is frustrating is that it is not happening to all users and there does not appear to be any consistency with the users that are having the problems in OS/browser/cookie settings etc.   The only thing that is consistent is the users that it is happening to which leads me to believe it is a browser/cookie setting locally on their PC but I can’t track it down.  Has anyone been able to resolve this once and for all?  I, and especially my users, would appreciate any suggestions.  I am about to dump SM because of this.

Re: [SM-USERS] infamous errors

Tomas Kuliavas
> Hi all - We've just upgraded to SquirrelMail version 1.4.3a-12.EL4.centos4
> and we are now getting the infamous 'You must be logged in to access this
> page' and 'Unknown user and pass' messages for some but not all users.  I
> have tried several of the 'fixes' mentioned in
> http://www.squirrelmail.org/wiki/LoginError and
> http://www.squirrelmail.org/wiki/CookieRequirement wiki entries to no
> avail.
> What is frustrating is that it is not happening to all users and there
> does
> not appear to be any consistency with the users that are having the
> problems
> in OS/browser/cookie settings etc.   The only thing that is consistent is
> the users that it is happening to which leads me to believe it is a
> browser/cookie setting locally on their PC but I can't track it down.  Has
> anyone been able to resolve this once and for all?  I, and especially my
> users, would appreciate any suggestions.  I am about to dump SM because of
> this.

your php mbstring.func_overload setting?

Re: [SM-USERS] infamous errors

> Hi all - We've just upgraded to SquirrelMail version 1.4.3a-12.EL4.centos4
> and we are now getting the infamous 'You must be logged in to access this
> page' and 'Unknown user and pass' messages for some but not all users.  I
> have tried several of the 'fixes' mentioned in
> http://www.squirrelmail.org/wiki/LoginError and
> http://www.squirrelmail.org/wiki/CookieRequirement wiki entries to no
> avail.
> What is frustrating is that it is not happening to all users and there
> does
> not appear to be any consistency with the users that are having the
> problems
> in OS/browser/cookie settings etc.   The only thing that is consistent is
> the users that it is happening to which leads me to believe it is a
> browser/cookie setting locally on their PC but I can't track it down.  Has
> anyone been able to resolve this once and for all?  I, and especially my
> users, would appreciate any suggestions.  I am about to dump SM because of
> this.

any content filtering software on user's machine or SOHO hardware router?

RE: [SM-USERS] infamous errors

Steve Mueller - Frontier Adjusters, Inc.
mbstring.func_overload is currently set to 0.  Can/should it be set to
something else that will safely not 'break' anything else I have running on
the box?

> Hi all - We've just upgraded to SquirrelMail version 1.4.3a-12.EL4.centos4
> and we are now getting the infamous 'You must be logged in to access this
> page' and 'Unknown user and pass' messages for some but not all users.  I
> have tried several of the 'fixes' mentioned in
> http://www.squirrelmail.org/wiki/LoginError and
> http://www.squirrelmail.org/wiki/CookieRequirement wiki entries to no
> avail.
> What is frustrating is that it is not happening to all users and there
> does
> not appear to be any consistency with the users that are having the
> problems
> in OS/browser/cookie settings etc.   The only thing that is consistent is
> the users that it is happening to which leads me to believe it is a
> browser/cookie setting locally on their PC but I can't track it down.  Has
> anyone been able to resolve this once and for all?  I, and especially my
> users, would appreciate any suggestions.  I am about to dump SM because of
> this.

your php mbstring.func_overload setting?

RE: [SM-USERS] infamous errors

Tomas Kuliavas
mbstring.func_overload should remain set to zero. Any other value can
break things.

You could also check your server's clock and clock of client machine.
Cookie expiration is set according to server time, but it is expired
according to client time.

SquirrelMail has cookie_warning plugin. Try it. If error is related to
cookies, login error page should display cookie warning instead of "you
must be logged".

> mbstring.func_overload is currently set to 0.  Can/should it be set to
> something else that will safely not 'break' anything else I have running
> on
> the box?

Thanks for the suggestion.  I will install the cookie plugin.

One pattern that we are seeing emerge is that the users who are reporting
the problem are using their previously stored username and password on the
sm login page.  Some of the users having problems logging in have had their
username stored in all uppercase which apparently allowed them to login
before but not after the upgrade.  Changing the username to all lowercase
resolves the issue and they are able to login.  Is there a case-sensitivity
username configuration setting somewhere?  I don't recall ever configuring
such as setting before but perhaps this has changed with more recent
versions?

RE: [SM-USERS] infamous errors

Fredrik Jervfors
> Is there a case-sensitivity username configuration setting somewhere? I
> don't recall ever configuring such as setting before but perhaps this has
> changed with more recent versions?

config/conf.pl
4.  General Options
5.  Usernames in Lowercase : true

It's been in there since at least v1.4.0.

Sincerly,
Fredrik.

RE: [SM-USERS] infamous errors

Ken Jones-2

On Wed, November 2, 2005 09:18, Steve Mueller - Frontier Adjusters, Inc. wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestion.  I will install the cookie plugin.
>

> One pattern that we are seeing emerge is that the users who are reporting
> the problem are using their previously stored username and password on the sm login page.  Some of the users having problems
> logging in have had their username stored in all uppercase which apparently allowed them to login before but not after the upgrade.
> Changing the username to all lowercase
> resolves the issue and they are able to login.  Is there a case-sensitivity username configuration setting somewhere?  I don't
> recall ever configuring such as setting before but perhaps this has changed with more recent versions?

From the config file:
/**
 * Username Case Control
 *
 * Some IMAP servers allow a username (like 'bob') to log in if they use
 * uppercase in their name (like 'Bob' or 'BOB'). This creates extra
 * preference files.  Toggling this option to true will transparently
 * change all usernames to lowercase.
 * @global bool $force_username_lowercase
 */
$force_username_lowercase = true;