[SM-USERS] change password on different imap server

[SM-USERS] change password on different imap server

Benedict Simon dcunha
Dear All,

i am using squirrel mail 1.4.2 for the past one year on Red Hat Linux and
everything works fine .

i am using the change password pluggin by Paul Lesneiwski and is working
perfectly

recently we have a new domain hosted on another server running red hat and
imap server and i am using multilogin pluggin to login to this new Imap
server and acces mail and everything is working perfectly

but now when any user tries to change his password with the change
password pluggin it gives a message " user does not exist " cause this
pluggin tries to change the password on the local server and the user whos
password is being changed is on the new server

Is there a pluggin or any other way a user can change his password through
squirrel mail

thnks and appreciate

--
Simon D'cunha ( NETWORK ADMIN )
KUWAIT MUNICIPLAITY

Re: [SM-USERS] change password on different imap server

Paul Lesniewski
> i am using squirrel mail 1.4.2 for the past one year on Red Hat Linux and
> everything works fine .

except the numerous published security holes that you are not addressing
by not upgrading

> i am using the change password pluggin by Paul Lesneiwski and is working
> perfectly

please note the correct plugin name next time.  I suspect you mean
"change_passwd"

> recently we have a new domain hosted on another server running red hat and
> imap server and i am using multilogin pluggin to login to this new Imap
> server and acces mail and everything is working perfectly
>
> but now when any user tries to change his password with the change
> password pluggin it gives a message " user does not exist " cause this
> pluggin tries to change the password on the local server and the user whos
> password is being changed is on the new server

I don't think it is possible with that plugin, or if it is, the hack has
not yet occurred to me, but it would probably involve some kind of
networked file system.  Regardless of server situation, you should be
using this plugin as a last resort - try change_password instead, although
I do not know if it can help your situation or not.  If you are building a
more complex mail hosting environment, I do not see why you would continue
to rely on local user accounts in the first place.  You might be
well-served to read up on virtual accounts for your users backed by LDAP
or SQL, which would never have this problem in the first place.

> Is there a pluggin or any other way a user can change his password through
> squirrel mail
>
> thnks and appreciate

[SM-USERS] change password on different imap server

Benedict Simon dcunha

Hi Paul,

I have installed the change_password on SERVER A and also the poppassd
utility on the SERVER B where i want to change the users password .

( the passwords are in the /etc/password file on RED HAT linux )

the settings.php file is here below

<?php

    #global $imapServerAddress;
       #global $62.150.152.2;
#
    /* Use the address of the IMAP server as the default */
    $poppass_server = $62.150.152.2;
#    $poppass_server = 127.0.0.1;

    /* The default port for poppassd is 106 */
    $poppass_port = 106;
?>

but i get the following error when i go to options menu in squirelmail and
try to change the password
Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_DNUMBER, expecting T_VARIABLE or
'$' in /var/www/html/squirrelmail-1.4.2/plugins/change_pass/settings.php
on line 7

As i said before i am running squireel mail on on server A and want to
allow a user change his password on server B.

All other settings for the user is working perfectly fine

appreciate your help

regards

simon

>> i am using squirrel mail 1.4.2 for the past one year on Red Hat Linux
>> and
>> everything works fine .
>
> except the numerous published security holes that you are not addressing
> by not upgrading
>
>> i am using the change password pluggin by Paul Lesneiwski and is working
>> perfectly
>
> please note the correct plugin name next time.  I suspect you mean
> "change_passwd"
>
>> recently we have a new domain hosted on another server running red hat
>> and
>> imap server and i am using multilogin pluggin to login to this new Imap
>> server and acces mail and everything is working perfectly
>>
>> but now when any user tries to change his password with the change
>> password pluggin it gives a message " user does not exist " cause this
>> pluggin tries to change the password on the local server and the user
>> whos
>> password is being changed is on the new server
>
> I don't think it is possible with that plugin, or if it is, the hack has
> not yet occurred to me, but it would probably involve some kind of
> networked file system.  Regardless of server situation, you should be
> using this plugin as a last resort - try change_password instead, although
> I do not know if it can help your situation or not.  If you are building a
> more complex mail hosting environment, I do not see why you would continue
> to rely on local user accounts in the first place.  You might be
> well-served to read up on virtual accounts for your users backed by LDAP
> or SQL, which would never have this problem in the first place.
>
>> Is there a pluggin or any other way a user can change his password
>> through
>> squirrel mail
>>
>> thnks and appreciate

Simon D'cunha ( NETWORK ADMIN )
KUWAIT MUNICIPLAITY

Re: [SM-USERS] change password on different imap server

Tomas Kuliavas

> Hi Paul,
>
> I have installed the change_password on SERVER A and also the poppassd
> utility on the SERVER B where i want to change the users password .
>
> ( the passwords are in the /etc/password file on RED HAT linux )
>
> the settings.php file is here below
>
> <?php
>
>     #global $imapServerAddress;
>        #global $62.150.152.2;
> #
>     /* Use the address of the IMAP server as the default */
>     $poppass_server = $62.150.152.2;

$poppass_server = '62.150.152.2';

> As i said before i am running squireel mail on on server A and want to
> allow a user change his password on server B.
>
> All other settings for the user is working perfectly fine

Check $imapServerAddress variable. Maybe it already contains your imap
server address.

global $imapServerAddress;
$poppass_server = $imapServerAddress;

Re: [SM-USERS] change password on different imap server

Benedict Simon dcunha
hi all

i tried the settings as per u

here my settings.php file
<?php

    #global $imapServerAddress;
       #global $62.150.152.2;
#
    /* Use the address of the IMAP server as the default */
    $poppass_server = '62.150.152.2';
#    $poppass_server = 127.0.0.1;

    /* The default port for poppassd is 106 */
    $poppass_port = 106;
?>
but now the only error i get is after what u tell me

ERROR:Connection refused (111)

can u help me pls

Thanks and Regards

simon

>> Hi Paul,
>>
>> I have installed the change_password on SERVER A and also the poppassd
>> utility on the SERVER B where i want to change the users password .
>>
>> ( the passwords are in the /etc/password file on RED HAT linux )
>>
>> the settings.php file is here below
>>
>> <?php
>>
>>     #global $imapServerAddress;
>>        #global $62.150.152.2;
>> #
>>     /* Use the address of the IMAP server as the default */
>>     $poppass_server = $62.150.152.2;
>
> $poppass_server = '62.150.152.2';

>> As i said before i am running squireel mail on on server A and want to
>> allow a user change his password on server B.
>>
>> All other settings for the user is working perfectly fine
>
> Check $imapServerAddress variable. Maybe it already contains your imap
> server address.
>
> global $imapServerAddress;
> $poppass_server = $imapServerAddress;

--
Simon D'cunha ( NETWORK ADMIN )
KUWAIT MUNICIPLAITY

Re: [SM-USERS] change password on different imap server

Tomas Kuliavas
> hi all
>
> i tried the settings as per u
>
> here my settings.php file
> <?php
>
>     #global $imapServerAddress;
>        #global $62.150.152.2;
> #
>     /* Use the address of the IMAP server as the default */
>     $poppass_server = '62.150.152.2';
> #    $poppass_server = 127.0.0.1;
>
>     /* The default port for poppassd is 106 */
>     $poppass_port = 106;
> ?>
> but now the only error i get is after what u tell me
>
> ERROR:Connection refused (111)
>
> can u help me pls

run command 'telnet 62.150.152.2 106' from webserver. It should connect to
remote poppass server and display poppass server prompt.

You can find example of poppass connection in plugins/change_pass/README

run command 'netstat -an | grep 106' on imap server and make sure that
poppass server is running.

make sure that connection from web server to tcp 106 port on imap server
is not firewalled.

[SM-USERS] Re: [SM-USERS] change password on different imap server

Benedict Simon dcunha
Hi thomas,

thanks for the info.
btw i was using compiled a wrong popassd server not for linux red hat OS

now i downloaded and compliled the right one and i can telnet with port
106 n also netstat show me the port is listening

but i get a error message when i try to change the password
it says

500 Old password is incorrect

and i am sure the old password is right

cause i login with the old password

can u pls give me advice

thanks

simon

>> hi all
>>
>> i tried the settings as per u
>>
>> here my settings.php file
>> <?php
>>
>>     #global $imapServerAddress;
>>        #global $62.150.152.2;
>> #
>>     /* Use the address of the IMAP server as the default */
>>     $poppass_server = '62.150.152.2';
>> #    $poppass_server = 127.0.0.1;
>>
>>     /* The default port for poppassd is 106 */
>>     $poppass_port = 106;
>> ?>
>> but now the only error i get is after what u tell me
>>
>> ERROR:Connection refused (111)
>>
>> can u help me pls
>
> run command 'telnet 62.150.152.2 106' from webserver. It should connect to
> remote poppass server and display poppass server prompt.
>
> You can find example of poppass connection in plugins/change_pass/README
>
> run command 'netstat -an | grep 106' on imap server and make sure that
> poppass server is running.
>
> make sure that connection from web server to tcp 106 port on imap server
> is not firewalled.
>

> --
> Tomas

Simon D'cunha ( NETWORK ADMIN )
KUWAIT MUNICIPLAITY

Re: [SM-USERS] change password on different imap server

Tomas Kuliavas
If poppass server fails to verify your password, something is wrong in
your setup or poppass server's compilation. Is poppass server running on
correct server?

> Hi thomas,
>
> thanks for the info.
> btw i was using compiled a wrong popassd server not for linux red hat OS
>
> now i downloaded and compliled the right one and i can telnet with port
> 106 n also netstat show me the port is listening
>
> but i get a error message when i try to change the password
> it says
>
> 500 Old password is incorrect
>
> and i am sure the old password is right
>
> cause i login with the old password
>
> can u pls give me advice
>
> thanks
>
> simon
>

>>> hi all
>>>
>>> i tried the settings as per u
>>>
>>> here my settings.php file
>>> <?php
>>>
>>>     #global $imapServerAddress;
>>>        #global $62.150.152.2;
>>> #
>>>     /* Use the address of the IMAP server as the default */
>>>     $poppass_server = '62.150.152.2';
>>> #    $poppass_server = 127.0.0.1;
>>>
>>>     /* The default port for poppassd is 106 */
>>>     $poppass_port = 106;
>>> ?>
>>> but now the only error i get is after what u tell me
>>>
>>> ERROR:Connection refused (111)
>>>
>>> can u help me pls
>>
>> run command 'telnet 62.150.152.2 106' from webserver. It should connect
>> remote poppass server and display poppass server prompt.
>>
>> You can find example of poppass connection in plugins/change_pass/README
>>
>> run command 'netstat -an | grep 106' on imap server and make sure that
>> poppass server is running.
>>
>> make sure that connection from web server to tcp 106 port on imap server
>> is not firewalled.
>>

>> --
>> Tomas

>> List Info:

> Simon D'cunha ( NETWORK ADMIN )
> KUWAIT MUNICIPLAITY

[SM-USERS] Re: [SM-USERS] change password on different imap server

Benedict Simon dcunha
Hi Thomas,

thanks for ur reply. infact the was a problem with my poppassd daemon.
i did compile again

the pluggin doing a perfect job

the only problem i have is its not accepting simple passwords as it says
500 'BAD PASSWORD: it is based on a dictionary word'

i do have a poppassd file in pam.d directory n using red hat linux 8

do u have any idea on this so as how to accept any passwords...

i know common password is not secure but even then he email users are
common users and dont have shell account so anyway they cant logoin

thnks for everythin

appreciiate

> If poppass server fails to verify your password, something is wrong in
> your setup or poppass server's compilation. Is poppass server running on
> correct server?
>
>> Hi thomas,
>>
>> thanks for the info.
>> btw i was using compiled a wrong popassd server not for linux red hat OS
>>
>> now i downloaded and compliled the right one and i can telnet with port
>> 106 n also netstat show me the port is listening
>>
>> but i get a error message when i try to change the password
>> it says
>>
>> 500 Old password is incorrect
>>
>> and i am sure the old password is right
>>
>> cause i login with the old password
>>
>> can u pls give me advice
>>
>> thanks
>>
>> simon

>>> run command 'telnet 62.150.152.2 106' from webserver. It should connect
>>> remote poppass server and display poppass server prompt.
>>>
>>> You can find example of poppass connection in
>>> plugins/change_pass/README
>>>
>>> run command 'netstat -an | grep 106' on imap server and make sure that
>>> poppass server is running.
>>>
>>> make sure that connection from web server to tcp 106 port on imap
>>> server
>>> is not firewalled.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Tomas

>> --
>> Simon D'cunha ( NETWORK ADMIN )
>> KUWAIT MUNICIPLAITY

>> List Info:

Simon D'cunha ( NETWORK ADMIN )
KUWAIT MUNICIPLAITY

Re: [SM-USERS] change password on different imap server

Tomas Kuliavas
Redhat uses PAM libraries. Password security checks can be part of main
password library or they can be provided by cracklib.

You might be able to disable cracklib checks in pam configuration.
Configuration files are in /etc/pam.d/.

http://www.linuxdocs.org/HOWTOs/User-Authentication-HOWTO/x101.html