[SM-USERS] avelsieve with uw-imap

WJCarpenter-4
I'm just starting down the road of trying to set up avelsieve (which
looks pretty cool), and I'm trying to gauge the effort.  Has anyone
set this up using UW IMAP?  I reckon I can either track down or code a
suitable sieve management daemon like timsieved.  I'm just looking for
an indication of whether this is going to be A Simple Matter of Code
or is going a lifelong quest of "almost there".

Anyone been down this path already?

BTW, the other piece of the puzzle is that I am using Exim4 as my
MTA.  It supports sieve filters, but I don't yet know if there are
serious assumption mismatches between Exim4 and avelsieve.  If anyone
happens to have any comments on that, I'd appreciate that, too.
--
[hidden email] (WJCarpenter)    PGP 0x91865119
38 95 1B 69 C9 C6 3D 25    73 46 32 04 69 D6 ED F3

Re: [SM-USERS] avelsieve with uw-imap

Alexandros Vellis
On Sun, 2005-09-18 at 09:21 -0700, WJCarpenter wrote:
> I'm just starting down the road of trying to set up avelsieve (which
> looks pretty cool), and I'm trying to gauge the effort.  Has anyone
> set this up using UW IMAP?  I reckon I can either track down or code a
> suitable sieve management daemon like timsieved.  I'm just looking for
> an indication of whether this is going to be A Simple Matter of Code
> or is going a lifelong quest of "almost there".
>
> Anyone been down this path already?

I believe that you'd be better off using filtering at the SMTP (MSA)
level, like with Exim, rather than coding Sieve from scratch for UW
(which sounds really mad, if you ask me :-) )

For a complete solution to your problems, I would actually recommend
that you switch to Cyrus 8-)

> BTW, the other piece of the puzzle is that I am using Exim4 as my
> MTA.  It supports sieve filters, but I don't yet know if there are
> serious assumption mismatches between Exim4 and avelsieve.  If anyone
> happens to have any comments on that, I'd appreciate that, too.

I'm working on making different 'storage' backends (other than
MANAGESIEVE) available for avelsieve. Exim + avelsieve will get to work
together then.

I don't have an ETA yet, unfortunately.

--
Alexandros Vellis       University of Athens
[hidden email]         Network Operations Centre

Re: [SM-USERS] avelsieve with uw-imap

WJCarpenter-4
wjc> Has anyone set this up using UW IMAP?

av> I believe that you'd be better off using filtering at the SMTP
av> (MSA) level, like with Exim, rather than coding Sieve from scratch
av> for UW (which sounds really mad, if you ask me :-) )

Sounds mad to me, too, but I wasn't trying to say that :-).  Yeah, I
am using Exim to actually interpret and use the Sieve scripts.  I
guess I phrased my question poorly.  I should have asked if anyone had
tried setting up timsieved or equivalent independently of Cyrus.
That's what I meant.

av> I'm working on making different 'storage' backends (other than
av> MANAGESIEVE) available for avelsieve. Exim + avelsieve will get to
av> work together then.

I might be able to help some with this effort if you're interested.
Are you actively working on it, or is it on your "someday" list.  Let
me know if you want help.