[SM-USERS] Re: squirrelspell & win32

Damien Moore

>>> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.plugins/10275
>>>
>>> http://www.squirrelmail.org/wiki/KnownBugs

>>> Or get plugins/squirrelspell/modules/check_me.mod from 1.4.6cvs. It
>>> fixes
>>> your issue and some gettext/sprintf formating errors.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Tomas
>>>

>> Thank you for your suggestion. We downloaded v.1.10.2.11 of check_me.mod
>> and the problem referred to above went away. However things have gone
>> from
>> bad to worse since then. The squirrelspell plugin does now work
>> occasionally, although Aspell ignores most of what we regard as
>> mis-spellings, but more often than not, and especially if the message is
>> more than a few hundred words, it causes the browser to crash while
>> waiting for the spelling dialog, and on several occasions we have had to
>> restart the Apache web server! Is there anyone out there who has ever
>> got
>> this to work with a Windows server, or are we the only ones who have
>> tried? It would be a pity if this feature did not work because it is one
>> for which end users often ask.
>
> 1. which aspell dictionary are you trying to use?
>
> 2. your php safe_mode and mbstring.func_overload settings
>
> 3. open plugins/squirrelspell/modules/check_me.mod, find 'if(
> check_php_version ( 4, 3 ) ) {' and bump up php version number. For
> example to 'if( check_php_version ( 4, 5 ) ) {'
>
> If it solves apache lockups - you have buggy proc_open/proc_close
> implementation.
>
> If you upgrade SquirrelSpell from 1.4.5 to 1.4.6cvs version, situation
> can't get worse. 1.4.6cvs changes only fixed some issues. They haven't
> introduced any new code.
>
> --
> Tomas

Many thanks for your inspired suggestion #3 above. We have changed the
version check to ( 4, 5 ) and squirrelspell works normally. Following your
hint we also changed the Aspell language to en_GB which helps quite a lot!
(Strangely, the default is a dialect spoken only in parts of North
America.) On the other points you mention we are using the out-of-the-box
settings for php.ini including "safe_mode = Off" and with mbstring
undefined.

By the by we are greatly impressed with the quality and capabilities of
Squirrel Mail, and also with the friendly technical help provided by this
list. Your efforts *are* appreciated.

Damien Moore

--
Data Conduction Limited