[SM-USERS] Problems with Compose after installing BayesSpam

[SM-USERS] Problems with Compose after installing BayesSpam

Luis F. V. Gomes

Hi everyone.
I have Squirrelmail 1.4.6 (1.4.5 shows the same problem) installed on:

- Fedora FC4 x86_64 (Athlon 64)
- PHP 5.0.4 (cli) (built: May  9 2005 11:22:03)
    php.ini display_errors=on
- dovecot IMAP (set as courier or uw - doesn't matter)
- MySQL 4.1.11-2
- sendmail
- PEAR::DB 1.7.6

which was working fine until I installed BayesSpam (last stable version).

As a matter of fact, I think Bayesspam is not doing anything but when
I click on Compose or select a message and try to Forward or Reply
(any function that calls compose.php):

IE6: Shows DNS error or server not found
Mozzila and Firefox: don't change the screen

The most curious thing is that if I run SM's conf.pl and simply
disable Bayesspam plugin, everything goes back to normality.

Can you help me?

Thanks for your time.
Luís

!                          ,,,
!                         (@ @)
+--------------------oOO-/-(*)-\-OOo---+----------------------------------+
| Luis Fernando V. Gomes               |   Email:  [hidden email]
| Network administrator                |
| Dept. Engenharia Eletrica            |
| PUC-Rio                              |   Voz: +(55) (21) 3114-1220
| R. Marques de Sao Vicente 225/401L   |   Fax: +(55) (21) 3114-1232
| 22453-900 - Rio de Janeiro/RJ, Brasil|

Re: [SM-USERS] Problems with Compose after installing BayesSpam

Jay Lee
Luis F. V. Gomes wrote:

> Hi everyone.
> I have Squirrelmail 1.4.6 (1.4.5 shows the same problem) installed on:
>
> - Fedora FC4 x86_64 (Athlon 64)
> - PHP 5.0.4 (cli) (built: May  9 2005 11:22:03)
>    php.ini display_errors=on
> - dovecot IMAP (set as courier or uw - doesn't matter)
> - MySQL 4.1.11-2
> - sendmail
> - PEAR::DB 1.7.6
>
> which was working fine until I installed BayesSpam (last stable version).
>
> As a matter of fact, I think Bayesspam is not doing anything but when I
> click on Compose or select a message and try to Forward or Reply (any
> function that calls compose.php):
>
> IE6: Shows DNS error or server not found
> Mozzila and Firefox: don't change the screen
>
> The most curious thing is that if I run SM's conf.pl and simply disable
> Bayesspam plugin, everything goes back to normality.

Don't use Bayesspam, it's not a very efficient way of filtering spam,
especially when you have other options available to you on FC4.  I
recommend you take a look at integrating SpamAssassin
(spamassassin.apache.org) which ships with FC4 or possibly PopFile
(http://popfile.sf.net) another good Bayesian spam filter.

Jay
--
Jay Lee
Network / Systems Administrator

Re: [SM-USERS] Problems with Compose after installing BayesSpam

Luis F. V. Gomes
Hi, Jay

I use Bayesspam with SM and FC2 with no problems and I think it does
a good job. I also use POPFile in my Windows desktop, integrated with
Eudora. I don't think POPFile will integrate with a webmail. Also it
must be installed locally. I wish my users to be able to filter their
emails from anywhere, using a simple browser. So, if I cannot solve
my problem, I will read Spamassassin manual to learn how to use the
Bayesian filter and how to train it. My servers already use
Spamassassin, but there is no training.

Thanks.
Luís.

At 15:00 2005-11-08 -0500, Jay Lee wrote:

>Luis F. V. Gomes wrote:
>>Hi everyone.
>>I have Squirrelmail 1.4.6 (1.4.5 shows the same problem) installed on:
>>- Fedora FC4 x86_64 (Athlon 64)
>>- PHP 5.0.4 (cli) (built: May  9 2005 11:22:03)
>>    php.ini display_errors=on
>>- dovecot IMAP (set as courier or uw - doesn't matter)
>>- MySQL 4.1.11-2
>>- sendmail
>>- PEAR::DB 1.7.6
>>which was working fine until I installed BayesSpam (last stable version).
>>As a matter of fact, I think Bayesspam is not doing anything but
>>when I click on Compose or select a message and try to Forward or
>>Reply (any function that calls compose.php):
>>IE6: Shows DNS error or server not found
>>Mozzila and Firefox: don't change the screen
>>The most curious thing is that if I run SM's conf.pl and simply
>>disable Bayesspam plugin, everything goes back to normality.
>
>Don't use Bayesspam, it's not a very efficient way of filtering
>spam, especially when you have other options available to you on
>FC4.  I recommend you take a look at integrating SpamAssassin
>(spamassassin.apache.org) which ships with FC4 or possibly PopFile
>(http://popfile.sf.net) another good Bayesian spam filter.
>
>Jay
>--
>Jay Lee
>Network / Systems Administrator
>Information Technology Dept.
>Philadelphia Biblical University
>--

         Atenciosamente,

| Luis Fernando V. Gomes               |   Email:  [hidden email]
| Gerente de Suporte                   |
| Dept. Engenharia Eletrica            |