[SM-USERS] One attachment drops off the message each time

[SM-USERS] One attachment drops off the message each time

Alan in Toronto
SquirrelMail 1.4.4
PHP 4.3.11
UWIMAPD (IMAP4rev1 2002.325-cpanel)
Apache 1.3.33
CentOS 3.3
Many plugins

Sorry, I can't find anything similar in my searches, and I'm not even sure
what to name this problem.

I compose a message and attach a few JPG images. I send the message, one
of the attachments drops off. When I open the copy of the message in the
Sent folder, sure enough one of the attachments is missing. If I click
"Edit Message as New" and send it again, now another attachment drops off
what is actually sent.

e.g. I attach 5 JPG images to a message. I send it, but when I open the
copy in Sent folder, it shows only 4 images. If I edit that as new and
send again, now the Sent copy shows only 3 images were sent.

Any ideas on things to check/test would be appreciated. Please reply to my
address, as I'm not currently receiving the list distribution.

Thanks.

Re: [SM-USERS] One attachment drops off the message each time

Jonathan Angliss said:

> On Fri, October 28, 2005 15:53, Alan in Toronto wrote:
>> SquirrelMail 1.4.4
>> PHP 4.3.11
>> UWIMAPD (IMAP4rev1 2002.325-cpanel)
>> Apache 1.3.33
>> CentOS 3.3
>> Many plugins
>>

>> Sorry, I can't find anything similar in my searches, and I'm not even
>> sure what to name this problem.
>>
>> I compose a message and attach a few JPG images. I send the message, one
>> of the attachments drops off. When I open the copy of the message in the
>> Sent folder, sure enough one of the attachments is missing. If I click
>> "Edit Message as New" and send it again, now another attachment drops
>> off
>> what is actually sent.
>
> Any chance you might be able to test with a cvs snapshot?  I believe an
> issue was recently fixed which involved something very similar to this
> where if the encoding of the file was of a certain length, new line
> characters were not added properly.  This resulted in the last two
> attachments "merging".
>
> - --
> Jonathan Angliss
> <[hidden email]>

Hi Jonathan, thanks for the reply. Just to clarify, you're suggesting that
I do a parallel installation of 1.5.0? Does that mean that you suspect
that this problem exists in 1.4.4 and 1.4.5 and that there's nothing I
could do to my installation to fix it?

On Sun, October 30, 2005 08:08, Alan in Toronto wrote:
>>> SquirrelMail 1.4.4
>>> PHP 4.3.11
>>> UWIMAPD (IMAP4rev1 2002.325-cpanel)
>>> Apache 1.3.33
>>> CentOS 3.3
>>> Many plugins

>>> Sorry, I can't find anything similar in my searches, and I'm not even
>>>  sure what to name this problem.

>>> I compose a message and attach a few JPG images. I send the message,
>>> one of the attachments drops off. When I open the copy of the message
>>> in the Sent folder, sure enough one of the attachments is missing. If
>>> I click
>>> "Edit Message as New" and send it again, now another attachment drops
>>> off what is actually sent.

>> Any chance you might be able to test with a cvs snapshot?  I believe an
>>  issue was recently fixed which involved something very similar to this
>>  where if the encoding of the file was of a certain length, new line
>> characters were not added properly.  This resulted in the last two
>> attachments "merging".

> Hi Jonathan, thanks for the reply. Just to clarify, you're suggesting
> that I do a parallel installation of 1.5.0?

Not at all... I'm suggesting you do a parallel install of 1.4.6-cvs.
1.5.0 is very old, and is a development version with known bugs.  If you
really want to use a development version, you should use a 1.5.1-cvs
snapshot.

> Does that mean that you suspect that this problem exists in 1.4.4 and
> 1.4.5 and that there's nothing I could do to my installation to fix it?

If this is the same bug (you can verify by looking at the message details
and seeing if you find a content-type header in the middle of an
attachment block), then the issue is with PHP changing their behaviour
with one of their functions we use.  I believe it was reported on the
users or devel list, but I don't have a reference right now, I'll rummage
about however, and see what I can dig up.

As a side note, an upgrade is certainly suggested, 1.4.4 has known
security issues.  Details of them can be seen here
http://www.squirrelmail.org/security/

Re: [SM-USERS] One attachment drops off the message each time

>> On Fri, October 28, 2005 15:53, Alan in Toronto wrote:
>>> SquirrelMail 1.4.4
>>> PHP 4.3.11
>>> UWIMAPD (IMAP4rev1 2002.325-cpanel)
>>> Apache 1.3.33
>>> CentOS 3.3
>>> Many plugins
>>>

>>> Sorry, I can't find anything similar in my searches, and I'm not even
>>> sure what to name this problem.
>>>
>>> I compose a message and attach a few JPG images. I send the message,
>>> one
>>> of the attachments drops off. When I open the copy of the message in
>>> the
>>> Sent folder, sure enough one of the attachments is missing. If I click
>>> "Edit Message as New" and send it again, now another attachment drops
>>> off
>>> what is actually sent.
>>
>> Any chance you might be able to test with a cvs snapshot?  I believe an
>> issue was recently fixed which involved something very similar to this
>> where if the encoding of the file was of a certain length, new line
>> characters were not added properly.  This resulted in the last two
>> attachments "merging".
>>
>> - --
>> Jonathan Angliss
>> <[hidden email]>
>
> Hi Jonathan, thanks for the reply. Just to clarify, you're suggesting that
> I do a parallel installation of 1.5.0? Does that mean that you suspect
> that this problem exists in 1.4.4 and 1.4.5 and that there's nothing I
> could do to my installation to fix it?

Can you reproduce your problem when plugins are not enabled?

Show local php core and session settings for squirrelmail. phpinfo() in
script from squirrelmail directory.

list and order of installed plugins. version numbers of third party plugins.

Jonathan Angliss said:

> Not at all... I'm suggesting you do a parallel install of 1.4.6-cvs.
> 1.5.0 is very old, and is a development version with known bugs.  If you
> really want to use a development version, you should use a 1.5.1-cvs
> snapshot.

Sorry, I hadn't been keeping up with SM issues, so I had a quick glance at
the downloads page and saw those versions. Now I see the CVS downloads
lower on the page.

>> Does that mean that you suspect that this problem exists in 1.4.4 and
>> 1.4.5 and that there's nothing I could do to my installation to fix it?
>
> If this is the same bug (you can verify by looking at the message details
> and seeing if you find a content-type header in the middle of an
> attachment block),

Do you mean to view the HTML source of the page? Sorry, I can't find what
you mean. I'll send you a test message.

> then the issue is with PHP changing their behaviour
> with one of their functions we use.  I believe it was reported on the
> users or devel list, but I don't have a reference right now, I'll rummage
> about however, and see what I can dig up.

It doesn't seem predictable, at least not based on my limited testing. I
attached three .PRN files yesterday, and all three were sent. But when I
attached four or five JPGs, at least one always "dropped off".

> As a side note, an upgrade is certainly suggested, 1.4.4 has known
> security issues.  Details of them can be seen here
> http://www.squirrelmail.org/security/

Yep, I know, I just haven't had time. If this problem is due to the issue
you think it is, is it fixed in 1.4.5? I'm just so busy right now (packing
and moving, in addition to work) that I don't really have time to test out
CVS versions. At least if I install a stable release, then that takes care
of my next upgrade.

Is it fixed in 1.4.5, so I could install that to try? Or, can I apply a
patch or just replace certain files? Or, is the team close to releasing
1.4.6 stable?

Thanks for your interest and advice, as always.