[SM-USERS] Checking mail fine, reading messages times out?

[SM-USERS] Checking mail fine, reading messages times out?

Peter Seebach
In message <[hidden email]>, [hidden email] writes:
>Welcome to the [hidden email] mailing list!
>If you have a question, you might want to check if it's already
>answered in our FAQ: http://www.squirrelmail.org/wiki/UserFAQ It lists
>many solutions to common problems. Please also check the mailing list
>archives.  Chances are, someone's asked the question before you, and
>already had it answered.  :)

Well, they may have, but I haven't found this exact question before.

I have two users (at the moment) who complain of being unable to read their
mail.  They can check their mail, but any attempt to actually load a message
times out.

I can reproduce this reliably.  I just can't figure out what's happening.
I mean, part of it is obvious; squirrelmail is timing out.  However, what's
not obvious to me is WHY squirrelmail should be timing out.  Obviously,
the IMAP server (imap-uw; we cannot conveniently switch to one of the others
right now) is able to scan all the mailboxes quickly enough.  Is there
some task involved in displaying a message that could reasonably take, oh,
45 times as long as scanning all of the mailboxes?

When one of these users (or an admin using a test account with a copy of the
mailboxes) tries to read a message, squirrelmail silently times out, having
delivered only a partial display; it gets as far as printing the navigation
bar.

The timeout does not depend on the size of a particular mailbox; for instance,
a mailbox containing only four short messages produces the exact same
behavior.

While an attempt is pending, there is an httpd process pegged on the CPU, but
it doesn't seem to matter how long we give it.  There is an imap process which
is not at all pegged, but which I think is spawned by squirrelmail connecting
to it.

System:  NetBSD 2.1_STABLE.
Hardware:  P4 2.4Ghz, 1GB memory.

php-4.4.1nb1        HTML-embedded scripting language
ap-php-4.4.1nb1     Apache (apache13) module for PHP4
apache-1.3.34       Apache HTTP (Web) server
imap-uw-2004enb1    University of Washington's IMAP, POP2, and POP3 servers

Other accounts seem to be able to read their mail just fine; just these two
people, for now.

Any ideas?

-s

Re: [SM-USERS] Checking mail fine, reading messages times out?

Re: [SM-USERS] Checking mail fine, reading messages times out?

Peter Seebach
In message <[hidden email]>, "Jonatha
n Angliss" writes:
>Maybe we should make "read the archives" a little clearer.  This has been
>asked quite a few times over the last week or so...

Argh!  I feel silly; I didn't read carefully enough.

>  http://www.squirrelmail.org/wiki/KnownBugs

Oh!  I missed it, because I was so focused on "squirrelmail 1.4.5" that
I didn't see this.

>The very TOP news item :)

Well, that's excellent; it also explains the mystery of "why did this just
break recently".

-s