[SM-USERS] Can't Easily Get Squirrel Sent Email messages into my Outlook Account.

[SM-USERS] Can't Easily Get Squirrel Sent Email messages into my Outlook Account.

Frank Hill
Dear Sir

I use isp.com and their Squirrel email program when I am on the road to look
at my home email. The only problem is when I reply to an email using the
Squirrel web browser, it stores the sent email in the isp.com server. When I
get home, there is no way to download all those sent messages into my home
computer outlook program except by selecting all of them on the squirrel web
and then moving them to the inbox and then downloading the inbox. Ugh. One
of the other web-based email programs that isp offers allows users to set up
a <user name>-[hidden email] account on their home Outlook computer and then
when it asks to retrieve that account it downloads all the messages in the
sent folder on their server. This doesn't work for Squirrel mail. Can't you
add that feature or is there some other secret way that isp.com doesn't know
about to make it easy to retrieve my "sent email off their server?

Thanks

Frank Hill

Re: [SM-USERS] Can't Easily Get Squirrel Sent Email messages into my Outlook Account.

Re: [SM-USERS] Can't Easily Get Squirrel Sent Email messages into my Outlook Account.

Sven Willenberger
On Mon, 2005-10-17 at 19:41 -0400, Frank Hill wrote:

> Dear Sir
>
> I use isp.com and their Squirrel email program when I am on the road to look
> at my home email. The only problem is when I reply to an email using the
> Squirrel web browser, it stores the sent email in the isp.com server. When I
> get home, there is no way to download all those sent messages into my home
> computer outlook program except by selecting all of them on the squirrel web
> and then moving them to the inbox and then downloading the inbox. Ugh. One
> of the other web-based email programs that isp offers allows users to set up
> a <user name>-[hidden email] account on their home Outlook computer and then
> when it asks to retrieve that account it downloads all the messages in the
> sent folder on their server. This doesn't work for Squirrel mail. Can't you
> add that feature or is there some other secret way that isp.com doesn't know
> about to make it easy to retrieve my "sent email off their server?
>
> Thanks
>
> Frank Hill

And therein lies a major difference between imap (squirrelmail) and pop
(your home outlook) protocols. If you want to see your sent mail from
home, set up your outlook client to use the imap protocol instead of the
pop3 protocol. If you already choose to "leave mail on server" from your
client, you will notice no difference but the ability to view your other
server-side folders (such as "sent-mail"). In that case, you can then
select your server-side sent mail and choose to save them to a local
mail folder.

Bear in mind that squirrelmail and outlook are merely clients that
interact with an underlying server. It is the server that supports
various protocols. In the case of isp.com they have configured SM to
connect to their server using the imap protocol whereas at home you have
opted to connect using the pop3 protocol.

Sven