[SM-PLUGINS] BayesSpam Development Ended

[SM-PLUGINS] BayesSpam Development Ended

Matthew Walker-3

I know it's been a while since there was an update for BayesSpam. It
functions in it's current version, and I have had very few bug reports
about it.

Partly because it is functionally complete, and because of the pressing
demands of work, I have decided to formally halt development of any future
versions. I've recently started using the dspam
(http://www.nuclearelephant.com/projects/dspam/) filter on my mail
servers, and am quite happy with it. It serves the same purpose as
BayesSpam, but is truly server-side, so it doesn't have the performance
problems of BayesSpam.

If anyone in the community wishes to pick up BayesSpam and work on it, I'm
placing it in the public domain. Do whatever you want with it.

In the future, I may be writing a small plugin to display information from
the headers that dspam writes, and to add one-click training for dspam to
Squirrel.

Thank you to all the people who are using BayesSpam. It was my first
successful opensource project, and it was a great learning experience. If
anyone has questions about the source, feel free to ask. I'll respond as
quickly as I reasonably can.

--
Matthew Walker
Kydance Hosting & Consulting

Re: [SM-PLUGINS] BayesSpam Development Ended

Paul Lesniewski

Matthew Walker wrote:

> I know it's been a while since there was an update for BayesSpam. It
> functions in it's current version, and I have had very few bug reports
> about it.
>
> Partly because it is functionally complete, and because of the pressing
> demands of work, I have decided to formally halt development of any future
> versions. I've recently started using the dspam
> (http://www.nuclearelephant.com/projects/dspam/) filter on my mail
> servers, and am quite happy with it. It serves the same purpose as
> BayesSpam, but is truly server-side, so it doesn't have the performance
> problems of BayesSpam.

SpamAssassin also includes a Bayes classification engine, all server side.

> If anyone in the community wishes to pick up BayesSpam and work on it, I'm
> placing it in the public domain. Do whatever you want with it.

Is there any more recent code than the last plugin release?

> In the future, I may be writing a small plugin to display information from
> the headers that dspam writes, and to add one-click training for dspam to
> Squirrel.

IIRC, someone said they got Dspam to work with Spam_Buttons plugin, but
if not, you should consider a patch for that (if it doesn't work out of
the box).

> Thank you to all the people who are using BayesSpam. It was my first
> successful opensource project, and it was a great learning experience. If
> anyone has questions about the source, feel free to ask. I'll respond as
> quickly as I reasonably can.

Thank you for your contribution, we very much appreciate all your hard
work!!

 - Paul

Re: [SM-PLUGINS] BayesSpam Development Ended

Rocco Scappatura
Hello!

Im using BayesSpam with fine results! At the moment I'ld like to have to
enanchement:

1) Support for localization (In particular for italian language)...
2) That the filtering of message have to be done as soon as the messages
arrive in the mailbox and not when a client access to its webmail account
(how It seems that at the moment happens). Is It possible or I need to use
necessarily a server-side scanner?

If you can give some hint, I can try to accomplish this two tasks...

Thanks,

rocsca

Rocco Scappatura wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Im using BayesSpam with fine results! At the moment I'ld like to have to
> enanchement:
>
> 1) Support for localization (In particular for italian language)...

See Fredrik's reply

> 2) That the filtering of message have to be done as soon as the messages
> arrive in the mailbox and not when a client access to its webmail account
> (how It seems that at the moment happens). Is It possible or I need to use
> necessarily a server-side scanner?

Yes, you're kidding, right?  SquirrelMail is a mail client.  All its
processes, including plugins, operate when you read your mail.  This
very thread mentioned some of the Bayesian server-side alternatives.