Re: [SM-DEVEL] target=right in menuline

Arnaud Abélard
Paul Lesneiwski wrote:

> Arnaud Abélard wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>is there any particular reason that for all the default links in the
>>menuline (compose, adresses, folder, options, search and help) the
>>target (target="right") isn't specified?
>>
>>i think it should be explicity specified for the following reasons:
>>- it's specified for additionnal entries from the menuline hook
>>- when a plugin creates frames in the right one, clicking on a menuline
>>link from the top frame will bring the new page in the current frame
>>without removing the other frames.
>>
>>Would that be a problem?
>

> Have you used SM in a tabbed browser?  Probably even in IE (untabbed) by
> opening new windows to read messages or options page, etc., you will see
> that keeping the targets relative keeps those extra tabs/windows from
> opening up even more new windows because it lost the name="right".  Your
> 2nd point is not clear to me; please explain in more detail.

What i mean is that, for example, the nntp plugin (which i made a
rewrite) opens 3 vertical frames inside the right frame of squirrelmail
(see http://www.arny.org/miscs/webmailgromel-ng.jpg). In this case,
clicking on a link from the menuline (ie. options, or folders) will open
the page inside the topframe since the link isn't targeted.

I would like to have the possibility to force the target for each link
from the menuline.. maybe using a configuration setting.

I hope i was clearer this time,

Thanks,

Arnaud

Arnaud Abélard
Administrateur Systèmes et Réseaux
Faculté de Sciences et Techniques
Université de Nantes

Re: [SM-DEVEL] target=right in menuline

Tomas Kuliavas
> Paul Lesneiwski wrote:
>>
>> Arnaud Abélard wrote:
>>
>>>Hello,
>>>
>>>is there any particular reason that for all the default links in the
>>>menuline (compose, adresses, folder, options, search and help) the
>>>target (target="right") isn't specified?
>>>
>>>i think it should be explicity specified for the following reasons:
>>>- it's specified for additionnal entries from the menuline hook
>>>- when a plugin creates frames in the right one, clicking on a menuline
>>>link from the top frame will bring the new page in the current frame
>>>without removing the other frames.
>>>
>>>Would that be a problem?
>>

>> Have you used SM in a tabbed browser?  Probably even in IE (untabbed) by
>> opening new windows to read messages or options page, etc., you will see
>> that keeping the targets relative keeps those extra tabs/windows from
>> opening up even more new windows because it lost the name="right".  Your
>> 2nd point is not clear to me; please explain in more detail.
>
> What i mean is that, for example, the nntp plugin (which i made a
> rewrite) opens 3 vertical frames inside the right frame of squirrelmail
> (see http://www.arny.org/miscs/webmailgromel-ng.jpg). In this case,
> clicking on a link from the menuline (ie. options, or folders) will open
> the page inside the topframe since the link isn't targeted.
>
> I would like to have the possibility to force the target for each link
> from the menuline.. maybe using a configuration setting.
>
> I hope i was clearer this time,

generic_header hook. If your top frame script is loaded, add base header.

'<base href="'.sqm_baseuri().'" target="main">'

http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/present/frames.html#adef-target
"16.3.1 Setting the default target for links"

Arnaud Abélard wrote:

> Paul Lesneiwski wrote:
>

>> Arnaud Abélard wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> is there any particular reason that for all the default links in the
>>> menuline (compose, adresses, folder, options, search and help) the
>>> target (target="right") isn't specified?
>>>
>>> i think it should be explicity specified for the following reasons:
>>> - it's specified for additionnal entries from the menuline hook
>>> - when a plugin creates frames in the right one, clicking on a menuline
>>> link from the top frame will bring the new page in the current frame
>>> without removing the other frames.
>>>
>>> Would that be a problem?
>>

>> Have you used SM in a tabbed browser?  Probably even in IE (untabbed) by
>> opening new windows to read messages or options page, etc., you will see
>> that keeping the targets relative keeps those extra tabs/windows from
>> opening up even more new windows because it lost the name="right".  Your
>> 2nd point is not clear to me; please explain in more detail.
>

> What i mean is that, for example, the nntp plugin (which i made a
> rewrite) opens 3 vertical frames inside the right frame of squirrelmail
> (see http://www.arny.org/miscs/webmailgromel-ng.jpg).

I hope you plan to share back with the community!  Looks nice.

> clicking on a link from the menuline (ie. options, or folders) will open
> the page inside the topframe since the link isn't targeted.
>
> I would like to have the possibility to force the target for each link
> from the menuline.. maybe using a configuration setting.
>
> I hope i was clearer this time,

Yes.  Tomas' suggestion is good.  You can also implement the hook that I
believe is in a patch that comes with the image links plugin that hooks
into the makeInternalLink function in page_header.php, where you can add
targets based on the link text (or just always add them), although you
may only want to add the targets (even with Tomas' suggestion) when the
page being displayed in the right frame belongs to your plugin.