Re: GPG fails to encrypt on send

shanesmith
SquirrelMail version 1.4.9a (from src/login.php)
Plugins installed: GPG Plugin v 2.1
gpg (GnuPG) 1.4.9
PHP Version 5.2.6
Web Server version: Apache/2.0.63
Courier-IMAP 4.3.1/i386-portbld-freebsd5.3/Mon Jun 23 04:39:26 MDT 2008
SMTP server version   1.03 qmail
OS FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE-p37
I'm also using procmail to sort incoming and tmda to exclude spam.

----

debug=1

When I try to encrypt it outputs lots. Excerpted from that what I think is
important:

opengpg - executing "/usr/local/bin/gpg --command-fd 7 --status-fd 5
--no-tty --yes --openpgp --homedir
/path/to/www/www.******.com/html/mail/data/shanesmith.gnupg --homedir
../../data/shanesmith.gnupg --always-trust --force-mdc --armor --encrypt
-r 'st*******@****s.com' ''"
gpg return status: 2
Error can't open `': No such file or directory
Error : encryption failed: file open error
Error GPG Plugin: No cyphertext was generated.

The command line passed to GPG has that last parameter empty ''. Is that
the file that won't open? Why is the --homedir defined twice? Both
definitions are correct relative to the gpg plugin directory.

List address: [hidden email]
List archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.user

Re: GPG fails to encrypt on send

Benjamin Connelly
> SquirrelMail version 1.4.9a (from src/login.php)
> Plugins installed: GPG Plugin v 2.1
> gpg (GnuPG) 1.4.9
> PHP Version 5.2.6
> Web Server version: Apache/2.0.63
> Courier-IMAP 4.3.1/i386-portbld-freebsd5.3/Mon Jun 23 04:39:26 MDT 2008
> SMTP server version   1.03 qmail
> OS FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE-p37
> I'm also using procmail to sort incoming and tmda to exclude spam.
>
> ----
>
> debug=1
>
> When I try to encrypt it outputs lots. Excerpted from that what I think is
> important:
>
> opengpg - executing "/usr/local/bin/gpg --command-fd 7 --status-fd 5
> --no-tty --yes --openpgp --homedir
> /path/to/www/www.******.com/html/mail/data/shanesmith.gnupg --homedir
> ../../data/shanesmith.gnupg --always-trust --force-mdc --armor --encrypt
> -r 'st*******@****s.com' ''"
> gpg return status: 2
> Error can't open `': No such file or directory
> Error : encryption failed: file open error
> Error GPG Plugin: No cyphertext was generated.
>
> The command line passed to GPG has that last parameter empty ''. Is that
> the file that won't open? Why is the --homedir defined twice? Both
> definitions are correct relative to the gpg plugin directory.

I actually have the same problem, but it cropped up on a system where only
PHP had been changed, from version 5.2 to 5.2.6. Rolling PHP back to 5.2
gets GPG plugin version 2.0 working agin:::::::::::::::::

squirrelmail 1.4.8

freebsd 6.1
postfix 2.3.4
mysql 5.0.26
courier authlib 0.58
courier imap 4.1.1
apache 2.2.3
php 5.2 / 5.2.6
gnupg 1.4.9

plugins:
  delete_move_next
  squirrelspell
serversidefilter 1.5
  compose_fix 0.3
     select_range 3.5
  folder_synch 0.8
  quota_usage 1.3
  vlogin 3.9.0-1.2.7
multilogin 2.3.2-1.2
  change_sqlpass 3.3-1.2
  newmail
  compatibility 2.0.4
  listcommands
      mail_fwd 0.4.1
      calendar_sql_backend 1.1-2.0
   calendar (shared_calendar) 2.0.1
      abook_take
  image_buttons 1.4
      attachment_tnef 0.70
      unsafe_image_rules 0.8
      abook_import_export 1.0
     empty_folders 1.2-1.2
     gpg 2.0
     html_mail 2.3-1.4
msg_flags 1.4.3.1

Complicating things slightly, working on upgrading squirrelmail to 4.1.15
and plugins to latest, I can't get gpg working, even w/ the older php
version. I've tried 3 different versions of the gpg plugin, from the 2.0
that worked with squirrelmail 1.4.8, to the 2.1 available via squirrelmail
plugins page, to gpg.2.1devbuild02Mar08. They all do the same thing, which
is different than the
"Error can't open `': No such file or directory"
problem under squirrelmail 1.4.8.

Instead, when clicking "Encrypt Now" I get a blank white screen with debug
off, and with debug on::::::::::::::::

  {snip}
Begin Attachment Processing
no session data found, restoring from restoremessages
Contents of Message object

So if we could live with older everything, we could offer this wonderful
gpg feature to users (again.) But we really need to keep php current
(known vulnerabilities), and want to get squirrelmail up to date (eager
for 1.5) so I'm actively debugging this seemingly session related issue,
but I'm more of a sysadmin than a php programmer, so I invite and
appreciate help!

   Ben

P.S. Other key management functions of gpg plugin work fine. Clicking
"Encrypt&Sign Now" or checking "Encrypt on Send" has same problem.
Checking "Sign on Send" comes back to message composition after prompting
for pw.

List address: [hidden email]
List archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.user

Re: GPG fails to encrypt on send

Benjamin Connelly
> Complicating things slightly, working on upgrading squirrelmail to 4.1.15 and
> plugins to latest, I can't get gpg working, even w/ the older php version.

To be clear:

squirrel mail 1.4.15
plugins:
  delete_move_next core plugin
  squirrelspell core plugin
serversidefilter Version 1.42 Apr 19, 2004 via squirrelmail site /
1.5-1.2.7-RC1   June 17, 2005 via sourceforge
  compose_fix Now compose_extras Ver. 0.6  06/12/2008
     select_range 3.7
  folder_synch 0.8
  quota_usage Squirrelmail site says obsoleted by check_quota Ver. 2.2
Aug 6, 2007 but quota_usage version 1.3.1 simply added italian translation
in 2006 so we could just copy over. . .
  vlogin 3.9.2
multilogin 2.3.4
  change_sqlpass 3.3-1.2
  newmail core plugin
  compatibility 2.0.13  2008.07.27
  listcommands core plugin
      mail_fwd 0.4.1
      calendar_sql_backend 1.1
   calendar (shared_calendar) shared_calendars-2.0.1-1.4.0.tar.gz
      abook_take (add_address) add_address 1.0 available
  image_buttons 1.4
      attachment_tnef 0.70
      unsafe_image_rules 0.8-1.4
      abook_import_export 1.1
     empty_folders 1.2
     gpg 2.1 from 2007.07.07
     html_mail 2.3
msg_flags 1.4.15a

Ben

List address: [hidden email]
List archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.user

Re: GPG fails to encrypt on send

Tomas Kuliavas
ben-11 wrote

     gpg 2.1 from 2007.07.07
SquirrelMail 1.4.10 introduced security fix, which broke gpg plugin. Changes in later SquirrelMail versions might have broken plugin even more. GPG plugin was not updated and cvs snapshots don't have any updates except for one security fix. Other security issues (remote execution, file deletion, xss) and intentionally or accidentally introduced incompatibility with PHP5 are not fixed.

Re: GPG fails to encrypt on send

shanesmith
> SquirrelMail 1.4.10 introduced security fix, which broke gpg plugin.
> Changes
> in later SquirrelMail versions might have broken plugin even more. GPG
> plugin was not updated and cvs snapshots don't have any updates except for
> one security fix. Other security issues (remote execution, file deletion,
> xss) and intentionally or accidentally introduced incompatibility with
> PHP5
> are not fixed.

Is nobody bothering to keep this up anymore? What happened to Brian?

Shane

SquirrelMail version       1.4.15 (from src/login.php)
Plugins installed:         GPG Plugin v 2.1 (most recent code from
http://braverock.com/gpg/)
gpg (GnuPG)                1.4.9
PHP Version                5.2.6
Web Server version         Apache/2.0.63
Courier-IMAP               4.3.1/i386-portbld-freebsd5.3/Mon Jun 23
04:39:26 MDT 2008
SMTP server version        1.03 qmail
OS                         FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE-p37
I'm also using procmail to sort incoming and tmda to exclude spam.

List address: [hidden email]
List archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.user

On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 2:57 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> SquirrelMail version    1.4.9a (from src/login.php)
> Plugins installed:      GPG Plugin v 2.1
> gpg (GnuPG)             1.4.9
> PHP Version             5.2.6
> Web Server version:     Apache/2.0.63
> Courier-IMAP            4.3.1/i386-portbld-freebsd5.3/Mon Jun 23 04:39:26 MDT 2008
> SMTP server version     1.03 qmail
> OS                      FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE-p37
> I'm also using procmail to sort incoming and tmda to exclude spam.
>
> ----
>
> debug=1
>
> When I try to encrypt it outputs lots. Excerpted from that what I think is
> important:
>
> opengpg - executing "/usr/local/bin/gpg --command-fd 7 --status-fd 5
> --no-tty --yes --openpgp --homedir
> /path/to/www/www.******.com/html/mail/data/shanesmith.gnupg --homedir
> ../../data/shanesmith.gnupg --always-trust --force-mdc --armor --encrypt
> -r 'st*******@****s.com' ''"
> gpg return status: 2
> Error can't open `': No such file or directory
> Error : encryption failed: file open error
> Error GPG Plugin: No cyphertext was generated.

I have a working version of this plugin currently in testing.  Please
contact me offlist if you'd like a copy.

Thanks,

  Paul

List address: [hidden email]
List archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.user

Re: GPG fails to encrypt on send

matrix_ua
This post was updated on .
Hi, I have the same problem:
Error can't open `': No such file or directory
Error: encryption failed: file open error
Error GPG Plugin: No cyphertext was generated.

SquirrelMail Version: 1.4.22, the latest stable
Plugins installed: GPG Plugin v 2.1
PHP 5.3.10

How can I fix it?