Quantcast

Problems when sending mails from webmail..

Problems when sending mails from webmail..

difuntos
Hello! Im having trouble when i send mails from the webmail site (with the browser).

I have configured sendmail with masquerade, so when i send an email it shows another domain on the mail address. When i try sending an email from linux (using mailx) there is no problem (the masquerade works fine, the email is sent and received ok).

But when i send an email from the webmail, the log shows this :

(...) from=<xxx@130.0.200.21>, size=748, class=0, nrcpts=1, msgid=b49184e9aefe4b65266f1690cb20f338.squirrel@130.0.200.21>, proto=ESMTP, daemon=MTA, relay=localhost [127.0.0.1]
Feb  6 16:00:54 webmail sendmail[4401]: r16J0fLw004399: to=<address@domain>, delay=00:00:13,
Feb  6 16:00:54 webmail sendmail[4401]: r16J0fLw004399: r16J0sLw004401: DSN: Data format error

In the config file, i have "localhost" as the smtp server.

And in the sendmail config, i´m relaying on another server (the smtp company´s server) to send the mails.

Hope you can help me, and hope you can understand my horrible english!!!!!

Thanks a lot!!!
regards

Alejandro Quegles

Re: Problems when sending mails from webmail..

Ted Hatfield-2
On Fri, 8 Feb 2013, difuntos wrote:

> Hello! Im having trouble when i send mails from the webmail site (with the
> browser).
>
> I have configured sendmail with masquerade, so when i send an email it shows
> another domain on the mail address. When i try sending an email from linux
> (using mailx) there is no problem (the masquerade works fine, the email is
> sent and received ok).
>
> But when i send an email from the webmail, the log shows this :
>
> (...) from=<xxx@130.0.200.21>, size=748, class=0, nrcpts=1,
> msgid=b49184e9aefe4b65266f1690cb20f338.squirrel@130.0.200.21>, proto=ESMTP,
> daemon=MTA, relay=localhost [127.0.0.1]
> Feb  6 16:00:54 webmail sendmail[4401]: r16J0fLw004399: to=<address@domain>,
> delay=00:00:13,
> Feb  6 16:00:54 webmail sendmail[4401]: r16J0fLw004399: r16J0sLw004401: DSN:
> Data format error
>
> In the config file, i have "localhost" as the smtp server.
>
> And in the sendmail config, i?m relaying on another server (the smtp
> company?s server) to send the mails.
>
> Hope you can help me, and hope you can understand my horrible english!!!!!
>
> Thanks a lot!!!
> regards
>
> Alejandro Quegles

> List address: [hidden email]
> List archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.user

Alejandro,

Usually the error message "DSN: Data format error" indicates that the
sending domain name is invalid in some way.  You can see in your error log
that the sending domain is "from=<xxx@130.0.200.21>".

That's probably why it's failing.  The trick is to figure out why the
domain isn't being added to the "from" line.

What are your smtp settings in squirrelmail?

Ted Hatfield

List address: [hidden email]
List archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.user

Re: Problems when sending mails from webmail..

difuntos
Hi Ted, thanks for the response, and sorry for the delay in answering you, we had holidays here in Argentina.

In my squirrelmail configuration i have "localhost" as my smtp server. And in the sendmail configuration, im relaying on the smtp server of my company (it´s called mail5) for sending emails from my squirrelmail server.

I tried putting the mail5 server as the smtp server in the squirrelmail config, but when i send an email from the webmail, it doesn´t send...and it redirects me to the "groups" plugin of squirrelmail...

I hope you can understand me...my english it´s not great...

thanks again
regards

Ale

Re: Problems when sending mails from webmail..

difuntos
is it possible that has something to do with the php.ini file config?....

Re: Problems when sending mails from webmail..

Ted Hatfield-2
On Fri, 8 Feb 2013, difuntos wrote:

> > Hello! Im having trouble when i send mails from the webmail site (with
> > the browser).
> >
> > I have configured sendmail with masquerade, so when i send an email it
> > shows another domain on the mail address. When i try sending an email
> > from linux (using mailx) there is no problem (the masquerade works
> > fine, the email is sent and received ok).
> >
> > But when i send an email from the webmail, the log shows this :
> >
> > (...) from=<xxx@130.0.200.21>, size=748, class=0, nrcpts=1,
> > msgid=b49184e9aefe4b65266f1690cb20f338.squirrel@130.0.200.21>,
> > proto=ESMTP, daemon=MTA, relay=localhost [127.0.0.1]
> > Feb  6 16:00:54 webmail sendmail[4401]: r16J0fLw004399:
> > to=<address@domain>, delay=00:00:13,
> > Feb  6 16:00:54 webmail sendmail[4401]: r16J0fLw004399:
> > r16J0sLw004401: DSN: Data format error
> >

> > In the config file, i have "localhost" as the smtp server.
> >
> > And in the sendmail config, i?m relaying on another server (the smtp
> > company?s server) to send the mails.
> >
> > Hope you can help me, and hope you can understand my horrible
> > english!!!!!
> >
> > Thanks a lot!!!
> > regards
> >
> > Alejandro Quegles
>
> On Wed, 13 Feb 2013, difuntos wrote:
>
> Hi Ted, thanks for the response, and sorry for the delay in answering you, we
> had holidays here in Argentina.
>
> In my squirrelmail configuration i have "localhost" as my smtp server. And
> in the sendmail configuration, im relaying on the smtp server of my company
> (it?s called mail5) for sending emails from my squirrelmail server.
>
> I tried putting the mail5 server as the smtp server in the squirrelmail
> config, but when i send an email from the webmail, it doesn?t send...and it
> redirects me to the "groups" plugin of squirrelmail...
>
> I hope you can understand me...my english it?s not great...
>
> thanks again
> regards
>
> Ale

Alejandro,

This appears to be a sendmail problem and not a squirrelmail issue at all.

If I understand your emails correctly, you have setup sendmail with
masquerading.  You are using localhost as your outgoing smtp server in
squirrelmail.  However you need to understand that sendmail is set up as
two seperate daemons.  One is the primary sendmail daemon and is
responsible for handling incoming email and the other is the
submission daemon which is only responsible for "local" outgoing email.

Since you're envelope-from address is showing up as xxx@130.0.200.21, then
it would appear that the submission daemon is not set with a proper
hostname, as well as the fact that it's probably not setup to do
masquerading either.  Look in your /etc/mail folder for the submission.mc
file. which is different from the sendmail.mc file.

This is my best guess without actually looking at your sendmail config
files on the machine.

Ted Hatfield

List address: [hidden email]
List archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.user

Re: Problems when sending mails from webmail..

difuntos
Ted,

i did what you told me and configured the submit.mc file, adding the masquerade parameters.

I restarted the sendmail service and tried sending email with mailx, and the masquerade worked just fine. The mail went off fine, and the maillog showed everything as expected (the "from" with the proper masquerade)
But when i send an email from the squirrelmail webmail, the error continues...

I can tell you that i´m using nutsmail (it´s a provider that adds skins and other things to squirrelmail), that is why i´m guessing that its a php issue. When i ask them about this, they tell me that is a squirrelmail problem, and that they can´t help me. They gave me the link to this forum so i can ask here....

Tell me if i can do anything else to help you helping me :) Maybe sending you my config files could help you...

Thanks again, hope you can give me a hand here

regards

Alejandro