Problem with International chars in Subject and Body

Problem with International chars in Subject and Body

Dan Johansson
Hi,

I have been happily using SquirrelMail for some years now, but I am new to this list (so please go easy on me if this is an old topic).

The Problem that I face at the moment (I have noticed it the fior time today but the problem could have been here longer) is that I sometimes "miss" some text in a mail (Subject or Body).

For example I have a E-mail with the following Subject line (as seen in the filesystem)

Subject: =?iso-8859-1?Q?AW:_HDMI-CEC_f=FCr_CineMate?=

In my "normal" mail client (KMail) it shows correctly as "AW: HDMI-CEC für CineMate" but in SQmail the Subject just shows as "blank".

I also have the same issue in the Body (although not the whole body) with some E-mails.
Also here an example (please note that the message is shown OK in K-mail).

Looking at a Mail in SQmail I see the following:
Guten Morgen

Michael

And looking at the msg-file in the filesystem it looks like this.

Guten Morgen

Frau XXXX wird sich Ihrer Sache annehmen - bitte rufen Sie sie gele=
gentlich an - freundliche Gr=FCsse, Michael

Michael
(XXX replaced to protect the innocent )

Here is some Info regarding my setup:
SquirrelMail version:           1.4.22
Installed Plugins:              secure_login, delete_move_next, sent_subfolders, squirrelspell, message_details
PHP version:                    5.4.6
Web server:                     Apache 2.2.23
IMAP server:                    Courier 0.65.2
SMTP server:                    Courier 0.65.2
OS and distribution:            Gentoo Linux (3.5.4-hardened-r1 #1 SMP x86_64)
Browsers tried:                 IE (do not know release), Firefox (Linux, 10.0.10)

If you need more Info please do not hesitate to ask.

Any suggestion on what could be the problem here?

Dan Johansson, <http://www.dmj.nu>
This message is printed on 100% recycled electrons!
List address: [hidden email]
List archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.internationalization

Re: Problem with International chars in Subject and Body

"Andrés Chandía"
Hi there Dan, I've been through the same problem recently, check out the threads at this address, they could hep you to find the solutions, specially chek what Tomas Kuliavas says, he's the guru.

http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.internationalization

_______________________
            andrés chandía
chandia.net
P No imprima innecesariamente. ¡Cuide el medio ambiente!
List address: [hidden email]
List archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.internationalization

Re: Problem with International chars in Subject and Body

Dan Johansson
Hi,

Thanks for the feedback and for the url.
Reading the threads I realized that my solution (at least temporarily) could be a downgrade of PHP to 5.3 - and that worked for me.

Once again tanks!
--
On Sunday 11 November 2012 15.53:15 Andrés Chandía wrote:

> Hi there Dan, I've been through the same problem recently, check out the threads at this
> address, they could hep you to find the solutions, specially chek what Tomas Kuliavas says,
> he's the guru.
>
> http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.internationalization

>             andrés
> chandía
>
> P No imprima
> innecesariamente. ¡Cuide el medio ambiente!

List address: [hidden email]
List archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.internationalization