Patching needed for UTF-8

Narcis Garcia - GiLUG
I've installed the SquirrelMail 1.4.20 that comes on Ubuntu 10.04
repositories and I see that, better than editing system's supported
locales (to work on ISO-xx charsets), an update is needed for the file
functions/i18n.php

At this moment the major part of languages lack in the 'LOCALE' arrays
of a UTF value.

For example:
$languages['es_ES']['LOCALE']  =
array('es_ES.ISO8859-1','es_ES.ISO-8859-1','es_ES');

Better needs to be:
$languages['es_ES']['LOCALE']  =
array('es_ES.UTF-8','es_ES.ISO8859-1','es_ES.ISO-8859-1','es_ES');

And then works properly with an Unicode environment.

List address: [hidden email]
List archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.internationalization

Your change breaks case sensitivity. You are asking to change base locale charset without changing charset used in interface.

Re: Patching needed for UTF-8

Narcis Garcia - GiLUG
I'm asking to add locales (not changing data).
Only with this, a default Ubuntu installation works for other languages.

Al 23/02/11 17:45, En/na Tomas Kuliavas ha escrit:

> Actiu informatica wrote:
>>
>> I've installed the SquirrelMail 1.4.20 that comes on Ubuntu 10.04
>> repositories and I see that, better than editing system's supported
>> locales (to work on ISO-xx charsets), an update is needed for the file
>> functions/i18n.php
>>
>> At this moment the major part of languages lack in the 'LOCALE' arrays
>> of a UTF value.
>>
>> For example:
>> $languages['es_ES']['LOCALE']  =
>> array('es_ES.ISO8859-1','es_ES.ISO-8859-1','es_ES');
>>
>> Better needs to be:
>> $languages['es_ES']['LOCALE']  =
>> array('es_ES.UTF-8','es_ES.ISO8859-1','es_ES.ISO-8859-1','es_ES');
>>
>> And then works properly with an Unicode environment.
>>
> Your change breaks case sensitivity. You are asking to change base locale
> charset without changing charset used in interface.

List address: [hidden email]
List archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.internationalization

Re: Patching needed for UTF-8

Tomas Kuliavas
Actiu informatica wrote
Al 23/02/11 17:45, En/na Tomas Kuliavas ha escrit:

> Actiu informatica wrote:
>>
>> I've installed the SquirrelMail 1.4.20 that comes on Ubuntu 10.04
>> repositories and I see that, better than editing system's supported
>> locales (to work on ISO-xx charsets), an update is needed for the file
>> functions/i18n.php
>>
>> At this moment the major part of languages lack in the 'LOCALE' arrays
>> of a UTF value.
>>
>> For example:
>> $languages['es_ES']['LOCALE']  =
>> array('es_ES.ISO8859-1','es_ES.ISO-8859-1','es_ES');
>>
>> Better needs to be:
>> $languages['es_ES']['LOCALE']  =
>> array('es_ES.UTF-8','es_ES.ISO8859-1','es_ES.ISO-8859-1','es_ES');
>>
>> And then works properly with an Unicode environment.
>>
> Your change breaks case sensitivity. You are asking to change base locale
> charset without changing charset used in interface.
I'm asking to add locales (not changing data).
Only with this, a default Ubuntu installation works for other languages.
Letter case sensitivity rules are different for es_ES.utf-8. Your suggestion makes utf-8 system locale default one for interface which operates in iso-8859-1. All locales in SquirrelMail $languages array match charset used by translation or don't set any charset. In Ubuntu you can also create es_ES locale without charset information, but they haven't done that for same reasons why SquirrelMail does not use utf-8 locale with iso-8859-1 based translations.

Default Ubuntu installation works only with UTF-8. Most of SquirrelMail translations are not in utf-8. If ubuntu squirrelmail package is in utf-8, then you should log bug report on ubuntu and ask then to correctly convert Spanish translation to utf-8.

Re: Patching needed for UTF-8

Narcis Garcia - GiLUG
This only change to "functions/i18n.php" works in Ubuntu and doesn't set
UTF to default one:

$languages['es_ES']['LOCALE']  =
array('es_ES.ISO8859-1','es_ES.ISO-8859-1','es_ES');

$languages['es_ES']['LOCALE']  =
array('es_ES.ISO8859-1','es_ES.ISO-8859-1','es_ES','es_ES.UTF-8');

(this is an example for es_ES but is useful for the rest of languages)

Al 23/02/11 19:37, En/na Tomas Kuliavas ha escrit:

> Actiu informatica wrote:
>>
>> Al 23/02/11 17:45, En/na Tomas Kuliavas ha escrit:

>>> Your change breaks case sensitivity. You are asking to change base locale
>>> charset without changing charset used in interface.
>> I'm asking to add locales (not changing data).
>> Only with this, a default Ubuntu installation works for other languages.
>>
> Letter case sensitivity rules are different for es_ES.utf-8. Your suggestion
> makes utf-8 system locale default one for interface which operates in
> iso-8859-1. All locales in SquirrelMail $languages array match charset used
> by translation or don't set any charset. In Ubuntu you can also create es_ES
> locale without charset information, but they haven't done that for same
> reasons why SquirrelMail does not use utf-8 locale with iso-8859-1 based
> translations.
>
> Default Ubuntu installation works only with UTF-8. Most of SquirrelMail
> translations are not in utf-8. If ubuntu squirrelmail package is in utf-8,
> then you should log bug report on ubuntu and ask then to correctly convert
> Spanish translation to utf-8.

List address: [hidden email]
List archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.internationalization