[OT] Top-posting

Paul Lesniewski
On 9/30/15, André Z. D. A. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> "Top-posting is a natural consequence of the behavior of the "reply"
> function in many current e-mail readers, such as Microsoft Outlook, Gmail,
> and others. By default, these programs insert into the reply message a copy
> of the original message (without headers and often without any extra
> indentation or quotation markers), and position the editing cursor above
> it." -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style#Top-posting, accessed in
> 2015-09-30.
>
> I prefer to do it this way. Many mail services and websites can even quote
> the start of the currect message, leaving quoted parts out (above or bellow
> the new words, does not matter). I like it. And Squirrelmail also does it.

Well, it's nice that you like it. It's not all about you, however.
It's a long tradition to post in-line on Open Source mailing lists,
and that's one of our mailing list guidelines.  Please refresh
yourself before top-posting again:

Re: [OT] Top-posting

André Z. D. A.

> On 9/30/15, André Z. D. A. <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> "Top-posting is a natural consequence of the behavior of the "reply"
>> function in many current e-mail readers, such as Microsoft Outlook, Gmail,
>> and others. By default, these programs insert into the reply message a copy
>> of the original message (without headers and often without any extra
>> indentation or quotation markers), and position the editing cursor above
>> it." -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style#Top-posting, accessed in
>> 2015-09-30.
>>
>> I prefer to do it this way. Many mail services and websites can even quote
>> the start of the currect message, leaving quoted parts out (above or bellow
>> the new words, does not matter). I like it. And Squirrelmail also does it.
>
> Well, it's nice that you like it. It's not all about you, however.
> It's a long tradition to post in-line on Open Source mailing lists,
> and that's one of our mailing list guidelines. Please refresh
> yourself before top-posting again:

Good to see that some documentation exist. But why this is pointed when we join the list? (I just check the message I received when I joined) It is at least normal that many users will not post as you wish...