No Subject = No Ability To Read?

Joy Denise
Can't view received email messages that don't have a subject.. there's nowhere to click and open the message.. is there a fix to this or something I have configured wrong?

DJ

List address: [hidden email]
List archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.devel

Re: No Subject = No Ability To Read?

Joy Denise
It appears this may be an issue with PHP 5.4 not allowing SquirrelMail to work so I'm using an older version of SquirrelMail. When will SquirrelMail 'like' PHP 5.4? Anything you've discovered as a fix? I'm running FreeBSD. Thanks a lot for any help. Have a good day.

List address: [hidden email]
List archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.devel

Re: No Subject = No Ability To Read?

Per Hansson
Joy Denise wrote
Can't view received email messages that don't have a subject.. there's nowhere to click and open the message.. is there a fix to this or something I have configured wrong?
-------
It appears this may be an issue with PHP 5.4 not allowing SquirrelMail to work <snip>

I have the same issue with PHP v5.4 and the latest SVN version as of yesterday.
Has anyone found a solution for this? I think in previous versions it said "no subject" but now there is no text at all, making the mail unreadable...

Re: No Subject = No Ability To Read?

Paul Lesniewski
On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 8:23 AM, Per Hansson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Joy Denise wrote
>> Can't view received email messages that don't have a subject.. there's
>> nowhere to click and open the message.. is there a fix to this or
>> something I have configured wrong?
>> -------
>> It appears this may be an issue with PHP 5.4 not allowing SquirrelMail to
>> work
>> <snip>
>

> I have the same issue with PHP v5.4 and the latest SVN version as of
> yesterday.
> Has anyone found a solution for this? I think in previous versions it said
> "no subject" but now there is no text at all, making the mail unreadable...

1.4.23-SVN should be working with messages that had caused this
problem under PHP 5.4.  If you think otherwise, you should provide the
full message source so we can analyze it.

Thanks,

Paul

List address: [hidden email]
List archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.devel

Re: No Subject = No Ability To Read?

Per Hansson
Paul Lesniewski wrote
On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 8:23 AM, Per Hansson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Joy Denise wrote
>> Can't view received email messages that don't have a subject.. there's
>> nowhere to click and open the message.. is there a fix to this or
>> something I have configured wrong?
>> -------
>> It appears this may be an issue with PHP 5.4 not allowing SquirrelMail to
>> work
>> <snip>
>
> I have the same issue with PHP v5.4 and the latest SVN version as of
> yesterday.
> Has anyone found a solution for this? I think in previous versions it said
> "no subject" but now there is no text at all, making the mail unreadable...

1.4.23-SVN should be working with messages that had caused this
problem under PHP 5.4.  If you think otherwise, you should provide the
full message source so we can analyze it.
I'm not sure if I misunderstand or was not clear enough.
My issue is not with PHP v5.4 error messages in the Linux messages log.
It is about reading a mail which has no subject title, on my system there is simply nothing to click on to open the mail...
Here is an example picture showing what I mean: http://img.techpowerup.org/130222/Squirrelmail-No-Subject.png

Re: No Subject = No Ability To Read?

Per Hansson
Paul Lesniewski wrote
1.4.23-SVN should be working with messages that had caused this
problem under PHP 5.4.  If you think otherwise, you should provide the
full message source so we can analyze it.
I looked into this further now, even though the messages appear without a subject title they actually do have one, here are some examples that come up as empty in the web interface, is it because of the codepage they carry in the subject?

Subject: =?windows-1252?Q?Att_=F6verlista_Dj=E4vulen?=
Subject: =?Cp1252?Q?Maestr=EDa_en_Gesti=F3n_Ambiental_de?=
Subject: =?iso-8859-1?Q?50_%_rabatt_p=E5_Aff=E4rsb=F6cker_och_Ljudb=F6cker?=
Subject: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?SISTA_CHANSEN:_K=F6p_3_st_Bj=F6rn_Borg_2-pack_-_betala_f=F6r_2?=

On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 9:29 AM, Per Hansson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Paul Lesniewski wrote
>> 1.4.23-SVN should be working with messages that had caused this
>> problem under PHP 5.4.  If you think otherwise, you should provide the
>> full message source so we can analyze it.
>
> I looked into this further now, even though the messages appear without a
> subject title they actually do have one, here are some examples that come up
> as empty in the web interface, is it because of the codepage they carry in
> the subject?
>
> Subject: =?windows-1252?Q?Att_=F6verlista_Dj=E4vulen?=
> Subject: =?Cp1252?Q?Maestr=EDa_en_Gesti=F3n_Ambiental_de?=
> Subject: =?iso-8859-1?Q?50_%_rabatt_p=E5_Aff=E4rsb=F6cker_och_Ljudb=F6cker?=
> Subject:
> =?ISO-8859-1?Q?SISTA_CHANSEN:_K=F6p_3_st_Bj=F6rn_Borg_2-pack_-_betala_f=F6r_2?=

All those displayed fine for me.

List address: [hidden email]
List archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.devel

Re: No Subject = No Ability To Read?

jlehtira
Hi! I have a problem quite much like this. But in addition to some senders and subjects being missing, also parts of my messages are blanked. This problem appeared when I updated my server to the newest Slackware, that comes with php 5.4.13. This seems to be about weird special characters - international messages in english seem to be fine, but local ones are not.

I observed the error first on SquirrelMail 1.4.22, then on the 20130603_0200-SVN.stable, and on a version I downloaded using svn today, 20130603.

This is an example of a message that fails!!:

Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2013 09:13:41 +0300
From: M M <hidden@hotmail.com>
To: P S <hidden@gmail.com>
CC: H V <hidden2@gmail.com>, hidden@hidden.net,
 R T <hidden@aalto.fi>
Subject: Re: Lofootit

Moikka=2C

Menen omia kyytej=E4ni ja aikojani sinne. Majoitusvaihtoehtoja en ole
viel=E4 miettinyt=2C tiet=E4=E4k=F6 joku leirint=E4alueen (onko niit=E4kin =
useampi?)
hinnoista? M=F6kkikin periaatteessa kiinnostaa..

M M

Re: No Subject = No Ability To Read?

ST66
I have same problem here.

A month ago I upgrade my server to Debian Stable 7, and since then trouble with encoding in emails.
php5 (5.4.4-14)
squirrelmail (2:1.4.23~svn20120406-2)

My settings for language in squirrelmail
1.  Default Language       : en_US
2.  Default Charset        : UTF-8
3.  Enable lossy encoding  : true

In Display Preferences I select Language=Default.
All outgoing emails are now encoding as UTF-8, all fine.

But now all incoming messages with a subject including f.ex. Danish letters (æ ø
å) encoded with ISO-8859-1 show up with blank subject, and impossible to
read them.
Example:
*Subject:* =?ISO-8859-1?B?VGVzdCDm+OUgxtjF?=

If I then in Display Preferences instead select Language=Danish, subject is displayed fine, but then outgoing emails are encoded ISO-8859-1.

Brgds
Torben

Re: No Subject = No Ability To Read?

ST66
I found reason for this error and have a fix.

http://php.net/manual/en/function.htmlspecialchars.php
have different default values from PHP 5.4.0 and  forward, before PHP 5.4.0 default encoding was ISO-8859-1, now it is UTF-8.

SquirrelMail does not pass incoming charset to this function, instead it uses default.
So in a setup where you with SquirrelMail use UTF-8, incoming email encoded ISO-8859-1 will be translated wrong.

To get it working correct I have change 1 line in /usr/share/squirrelmail/functions/i18n.php
In "function charset_decode" change
   if (! $save_html) $string = sm_encode_html_special_chars ($string);
   if (! $save_html) $string = sm_encode_html_special_chars ($string,ENT_COMPAT | ENT_HTML401,$charset,true);

On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 2:23 AM, ST66 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have same problem here.
>
> A month ago I upgrade my server to Debian Stable 7, and since then trouble
> with encoding in emails.
> php5 (5.4.4-14)
> squirrelmail (2:1.4.23~svn20120406-2)
>
> My settings for language in squirrelmail
> 1.  Default Language       : en_US
> 2.  Default Charset        : UTF-8
> 3.  Enable lossy encoding  : true
>
> In Display Preferences I select Language=Default.
> All outgoing emails are now encoding as UTF-8, all fine.
>
> But now all incoming messages with a subject including f.ex. Danish letters
> (æ ø
> å) encoded with ISO-8859-1 show up with blank subject, and impossible to
> read them.
> Example:
> *Subject:* =?ISO-8859-1?B?VGVzdCDm+OUgxtjF?=
>
> If I then in Display Preferences instead select Language=Danish, subject is
> displayed fine, but then outgoing emails are encoded ISO-8859-1.

Please see our tracker where this is being discussed in more detail.

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=100311&aid=3609402&group_id=311

List address: [hidden email]
List archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.devel

Re: No Subject = No Ability To Read?

Per Hansson
Thank you ST66!
I tried your fix in Squirrelmail v1.4.23 SVN 2013-05-30
It works great with PHP 5.4.16, it even fixed display errors in mails where not the full mail would be shown.
And also when replying to such mails the full mail would not be appended below...

There still exists some issues where some mails with Swedish characters "åäö" display as questionmarks.
But this has been a such long-standing issue and was there before the upgrade to PHP v5.4 aswell...

Here is one example of a mail sender not shown correctly even with your fix:
From:   =?utf-8?Q?Kundtj=C3=A4nst Uppercut.se?=

And here the body of another mail:
Det '?'r v'?'ll maskulin vs feminim ben'?'mning?

I've tried to change the "Default Charset" from iso-8859-1 to utf-8 but it makes no difference for these mails.
I've also tried enabling "lossy encoding" but likewise saw no change...

Re: No Subject = No Ability To Read?

Victor Villarreal
Hi ST66 !

Just to inform that your modification, fixed the issue related to mails subjects that are not displayed at SquirrelMail. Tested on GNU/Linux Debian Wheezy updated today, with PHP 5.4.4-14+deb7u14.

Thanks!