New Mail plugin

Dave Anderson
Hello mailing list,

I'm a long time user of SM. I recently got a Linode and upgraded SM to
1.5.2. I use SM for family and friends. Nothing serious. New mail has
always been a little intermittent for me. I see there is a bug listed in
v1.5.1 but not in v1.5.2 so I'm wondering if I have done something wrong.
As I write this I have sent me an email from an external site and SM's
left pane INBOX has a (1) next to it and Firefox tab has "0 New Messages"
as a title. No popup. I have an exception for popups in Firefox for my
webmail address. It looks like I have Folder preferences and New Mail
options selected properly. I have not configured sound. In the past all I
did was resubmit on New Mail Options page and that would fix it. I
installed SM 1.5.2 in /usr/share/squirrelmail.devel but I'm not sure that
was correct. All other plugins work fine.

My configuration:
Postfix 2.11
MySQL 5.5
Dovecot 2.2
PHP 5.6
Apache2 2.4
SSL cert protecting Squirrelmail vhost.

Client:
Windows 7
Firefox 40.0.3

Plugins:
Autocomplete 3.0
Compatibility 2.0.16
New Mail CORE
Add Address 1.0.3
Multiple Attachments 1.0

Thanks for a very nice product!
Dave Anderson

List address: [hidden email]
List archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.user

Re: New Mail plugin

> Hello mailing list,
>
> I'm a long time user of SM. I recently got a Linode and upgraded SM to
> 1.5.2. I use SM for family and friends. Nothing serious. New mail has
> always been a little intermittent for me. I see there is a bug listed in
> v1.5.1 but not in v1.5.2 so I'm wondering if I have done something wrong.
> As I write this I have sent me an email from an external site and SM's
> left pane INBOX has a (1) next to it and Firefox tab has "0 New Messages"
> as a title. No popup. I have an exception for popups in Firefox for my
> webmail address.

Assuming you triple-checked your new mail settings, I'd look at the
browser's JavaScript error log to see why it is blocking this.  Also
make sure you have JavaScript enabled and you aren't blocking with
something like noscript.

List address: [hidden email]
List archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.user

Re: New Mail plugin

Dave Anderson
Hi Paul,

Thank you for your helpful instructions. Without going into detail my
issue was corrected by changing the setting "Unread Message Notification
Type" under Folder Preferences -> Folder List Options from "Only Unseen"
to "Unseen and Total". I checked the config_default.php file and the
default is set to: $default_unseen_type = 1; So as far as I can see, out
of the box, the New Mail plugin won't work. Granted I'm not an expert at
all. So I was thinking of a solution and probably you have a better idea
but what I am thinking is either the default for $default_unseen_type goes
from 1 to 2 or on the "Options - New Mail Notification" there could be
added the instructions for setting the "Unread Message Notification Type".
One other thought is that maybe both settings for "Unread Message
Notification Type" which are "Unseen and Total" and "Only Unseen" both
work with the New Mail plugin.

If I can help by doing some of the leg work I would like to.

Thanks,
Dave Anderson

On Thu, September 10, 2015 1:29 pm, Paul Lesniewski wrote:

>> Hello mailing list,
>>

>> I'm a long time user of SM. I recently got a Linode and upgraded SM to
>> 1.5.2. I use SM for family and friends. Nothing serious. New mail has
>> always been a little intermittent for me. I see there is a bug listed in
>>  v1.5.1 but not in v1.5.2 so I'm wondering if I have done something
>> wrong. As I write this I have sent me an email from an external site and
>> SM's
>> left pane INBOX has a (1) next to it and Firefox tab has "0 New
>> Messages"
>> as a title. No popup. I have an exception for popups in Firefox for my
>> webmail address.
>
> Assuming you triple-checked your new mail settings, I'd look at the
> browser's JavaScript error log to see why it is blocking this.  Also make
> sure you have JavaScript enabled and you aren't blocking with something
> like noscript.
>
> --
> Paul Lesniewski
> SquirrelMail Team
> Please support Open Source Software by donating to SquirrelMail!
> http://squirrelmail.org/donate_paul_lesniewski.php

> List address: [hidden email]
> List archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.user
> List info (subscribe/unsubscribe/change options):

Re: New Mail plugin

Dave Anderson
Update,

This problem I had with new mail notifications is embarressing me because
I was pretty sure that the below "problem" was a problem. My conclusion is
Squirrelmail or the New Mail plugin, was in no way a problem. It turns out
that my "stupid" phone, as opposed to my smart phone, was syncing my
mailbox and when that happens mail gets transfered, on the email server,
from maildir new directory to maildir cur directory.

While I was debugging my snafu, in the source code, the variable that did
not return right was anything to do with RECENT. RECENT emails are stored
in maildir new. As soon as the new email is noticed it gets transfered to
maildir cur. Then it will not be detected unless "New Mail Notifications"
option "Count only messages that are RECENT" is set to unchecked.

But I like the option to only notify on RECENT.

If anyone has more insight I've got an open ear.

Dave A