Quantcast

Messages disappearing from Inbox and subfolders

Messages disappearing from Inbox and subfolders

gterr
Hi there,

I have set up SquirrelMail for our small charity, just as a single end user. My ISP forwards email from 5 different email addresses to a single webmail email address which is accessed by SquirrelMail.  I have put in routing rules to forward these incoming emails from the Inbox to four separate users' subfolders, according to what's in the to: address fields. So, all users can see the inbox, and each others' subfolders (which contain the forwarded emails from the four different email addresses that come from the ISP). The reason I've done it this way is so that we can all keep an eye on each others' emails if one of us is away, etc.

This has been working fine...BUT.. three times now, about a month apart, I've logged on to find the Inbox and all subfolders emptied of stored emails. All users deny having deleted emails. The ISP says it isn't responsible for this behaviour. I can't find any settings that would cause this.

Any ideas?

Re: Messages disappearing from Inbox and subfolders

Giles Coochey
On 07/08/2013 12:09, gterr wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I have set up SquirrelMail for our small charity, just as a single end user.
> My ISP forwards email from 5 different email addresses to a single webmail
> email address which is accessed by SquirrelMail.  I have put in routing
> rules to forward these incoming emails from the Inbox to four separate
> users' subfolders, according to what's in the to: address fields. So, all
> users can see the inbox, and each others' subfolders (which contain the
> forwarded emails from the four different email addresses that come from the
> ISP). The reason I've done it this way is so that we can all keep an eye on
> each others' emails if one of us is away, etc.
>
> This has been working fine...BUT.. three times now, about a month apart,
> I've logged on to find the Inbox and all subfolders emptied of stored
> emails. All users deny having deleted emails. The ISP says it isn't
> responsible for this behaviour. I can't find any settings that would cause
> this.
>
> Any ideas?

Perhaps someone is POP3'ing the emails out?

Giles Coochey, CCNP, CCNA, CCNAS
NetSecSpec Ltd
+44 (0) 8444 780677
+44 (0) 7983 877438
http://www.coochey.net
http://www.netsecspec.co.uk

List address: [hidden email]
List archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.user

smime.p7s (8K) Download Attachment

Re: Messages disappearing from Inbox and subfolders

gterr
Thanks for your reply.

I have discovered the problem: an infrequent webmail user has come out of the woodwork and admitted that he logged on recently and 'tidied up' the folders, not realising that he was deleting the messages not just from his own view, but globally for everyone. He now knows better than to do this again.

Many thanks for your time.