Quantcast

Maximum account size limited to 200mb

shepsta
I've been having an issue the last few weeks with over 30 different accounts. They all get errors that say "Error: Connection dropped by IMAP server"
The ISP (HostPapa) says that it is a problem on our end, everything is working fine on their end.

We have accounts that are over 200mb, they state squirrelmail cannot handle it, causes issues. I have accounts that range from 50mb to 1.2GB, most around 400-600mb.

Wondering is this was common knowledge, I can find record of this anywhere.

Re: Maximum account size limited to 200mb

Ted Hatfield-2
On Tue, 5 Nov 2013, shepsta wrote:

> I've been having an issue the last few weeks with over 30 different accounts.
> They all get errors that say "Error: Connection dropped by IMAP server"
> The ISP (HostPapa) says that it is a problem on our end, everything is
> working fine on their end.
>
> We have accounts that are over 200mb, they state squirrelmail cannot handle
> it, causes issues. I have accounts that range from 50mb to 1.2GB, most
> around 400-600mb.
>
> Wondering is this was common knowledge, I can find record of this anywhere.

We use squirrelmail with accounts that are far larger than that without
difficulties.  HostPapa may be limiting the number of concurrent imap
connections.  If ths is the case it can cause this kind of error.

Try using an imap proxy to limit number of connections per account.

See http://squirrelmail.org/docs/admin/admin-6.html#ss6.6

Ted Hatfield

List address: [hidden email]
List archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.user

Re: Maximum account size limited to 200mb

craigarno
Is there a timeout for how long Squirrelmail with wait for a response from the IMAP server?

I'm asking because I did have IMAP timeout problems with large email boxes for a brief time (not with Squirrelmail).  The issue was how long it took the IMAP server to load a mailbox before it would respond as ready.  Since I run a very small installation, the solution was to replace the HD with an SSD for OS [only] things, including INBOX mail storage.  Squirrelmail and other applications are still on a much larger HD {10TB}.  This increased speed for loading the mailbox significantly, like 10x or more, and my problems went away.  I imagine on a server with a large number of mboxes, SSD cost might make this sort of solution unrealistic.  Maybe server side disk read/write caching would help, if this is the issue.

I'm not saying this is the same problem as yours, just that this issue has a familiar ring and this is my experience.

At this writing, the largest mailbox in use with SquirrelMail version 1.4.22 on my Dovecot IMAP based server is 948,503,478KB (almost 1GB) {residing on SSD}, and it is working without issue.  It also loads quickly from SSD avoiding any timeout limits in IMAP and Squirrelmail.

I hope this shared information helps.

Re: Maximum account size limited to 200mb

LuKreme

On 05 Nov 2013, at 14:12 , shepsta <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We have accounts that are over 200mb, they state squirrelmail cannot handle
> it, causes issues. I have accounts that range from 50mb to 1.2GB, most
> around 400-600mb.

This is simply not true. I have my list account which is over 2.2GB and I can access it from Squirrelmail just fine.

The one thing that does tend to mess up SM is when the INBOX contains a lot of messages. I had one user complaining of SM being slow, but he had over 10,000 emails in his INBOX. To be fair, this SM was also running on rather old hardware and this was not under dovecot.

Since moving to a newer machine (still old, but not as old) and switching to dovecot on the backend, SM has been very usable, though I don't know if anyone has 10,000+ emails in their inbox.

--
'I'm not a thief, madam. But if I were, I would be the kind that steals
fire from the gods.' 'We've already got fire.' 'There must be an upgrade

List address: [hidden email]
List archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.user

Re: Maximum account size limited to 200mb

craigarno
I'm sending this message from a mailbox which is 1GB and has ~8000
messages through a Dovecot IMAP server.  It is quite responsive and
nimble.

As you said, to be fair, it's hosted on an 8-Core Athlon FX-8120 with 8GB
memory running on an SSD based file system.  I used to run the UW IMAP
server and wondered why so many people were running Dovecot.  Now that I
switched (some years ago) the few problems I saw disappeared.

> On 05 Nov 2013, at 14:12 , shepsta <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> We have accounts that are over 200mb, they state squirrelmail cannot
>> handle
>> it, causes issues. I have accounts that range from 50mb to 1.2GB, most
>> around 400-600mb.
>
> This is simply not true. I have my list account which is over 2.2GB and I
> can access it from Squirrelmail just fine.
>
> The one thing that does tend to mess up SM is when the INBOX contains a
> lot of messages. I had one user complaining of SM being slow, but he had
> over 10,000 emails in his INBOX. To be fair, this SM was also running on
> rather old hardware and this was not under dovecot.
>
> Since moving to a newer machine (still old, but not as old) and switching
> to dovecot on the backend, SM has been very usable, though I don't know if
> anyone has 10,000+ emails in their inbox.
>
> --
> 'I'm not a thief, madam. But if I were, I would be the kind that steals
> fire from the gods.' 'We've already got fire.' 'There must be an upgrade
> by now.'

> List address: [hidden email]
> List archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.user
> List info (subscribe/unsubscribe/change options):