Mail_fetch & gmail

Christian Schmitz-4
Hi everyone:
        I am have installed a webmail server (squirrel 1.4.23-svn20150923) i
have
installed most plugins without problem. The only problem that i have is with
mail_fetch.
I am trying to check emails from gmail but i get connection error.

Looking seem like mail_fetch (the included inside package) do not support TLS.

How i can implement or get working TLS on mail_fetch?

Best Regards
Christian

Installed Plugins
    1. html_mail
    2. filters
    3. folder_synch
    4. image_buttons
    5. show_user_and_ip
    6. mail_fetch
    7. message_details
    8. newmail
    9. delete_move_next
    10. bug_report
    11. jsclock
    12. sent_subfolders
    13. spamcop
    14. administrator
    15. calendar
    16. info
    17. msg_flags
    18. squirrelspell
    19. translate
    20. squirrel_logger
    21. dictionary-0.6
    22. download_all
    23. compatibility
    24. smallcal
    25. archive_mail
    26. add_address
    27. attachment_doc
    28. autocomplete
    29. per_recipient_sent_folders
    30. show_thumb
    31. check_quota
    32. block_attach

--
En un mundo sin fronteras.... ¿Quién necesita Puertas y Ventanas?
EN INGLES: In a world without frontiers, who needs Gates and Windows

Re: Mail_fetch & gmail

Christian Schmitz-4
El Vie 25 Sep 2015, Christian Schmitz escribió:

> Hi everyone:
>         I am have installed a webmail server (squirrel 1.4.23-svn20150923)
> i have
> installed most plugins without problem. The only problem that i have is
> with mail_fetch.
> I am trying to check emails from gmail but i get connection error.
>
> Looking seem like mail_fetch (the included inside package) do not support
> TLS.
>
> How i can implement or get working TLS on mail_fetch?
>
> Best Regards
> Christian
>

> Installed Plugins
>     1. html_mail
>     2. filters
>     3. folder_synch
>     4. image_buttons
>     5. show_user_and_ip
>     6. mail_fetch
>     7. message_details
>     8. newmail
>     9. delete_move_next
>     10. bug_report
>     11. jsclock
>     12. sent_subfolders
>     13. spamcop
>     14. administrator
>     15. calendar
>     16. info
>     17. msg_flags
>     18. squirrelspell
>     19. translate
>     20. squirrel_logger
>     21. dictionary-0.6
>     22. download_all
>     23. compatibility
>     24. smallcal
>     25. archive_mail
>     26. add_address
>     27. attachment_doc
>     28. autocomplete
>     29. per_recipient_sent_folders
>     30. show_thumb
>     31. check_quota
>     32. block_attach
HI:
        The answer i mode WORKS FOR ME i found on:
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.plugins/12569

"Not a documented feature, but you can type ssl://host and change the
port number, and it will work assuming your PHP version has SSL
enabled. tls:// can also be used too. This is because the fsockopen
call doesn't attempt to specify a protocol, so you can "cheat" the
code by setting it in the hostname"

So i configure:
server=tls://pop.gmail.com
port=995
user
pass
destination folder.

I think that is absolutely required that TLS figure as an option when the user
configure mail_fetch in options.

Best Regards
Christian

--
En un mundo sin fronteras.... ¿Quién necesita Puertas y Ventanas?
EN INGLES: In a world without frontiers, who needs Gates and Windows
http://www.schdev.com.ar
http://gnc2.schdev.com.ar

Re: Mail_fetch & gmail

André Z. D. A.
I am just curious with one detail. Why do you use POP instead of IMAP?

> El Vie 25 Sep 2015, Christian Schmitz escribió:
>
>> Hi everyone:
>> I am have installed a webmail server (squirrel 1.4.23-svn20150923)
>> i have
>> installed most plugins without problem. The only problem that i have is
>> with mail_fetch.
>> I am trying to check emails from gmail but i get connection error.
>>
>> Looking seem like mail_fetch (the included inside package) do not support
>> TLS.
>>
>> How i can implement or get working TLS on mail_fetch?
>>
>> Best Regards
>> Christian
>>
>> Installed Plugins
>> 1. html_mail
>> 2. filters
>> 3. folder_synch
>> 4. image_buttons
>> 5. show_user_and_ip
>> 6. mail_fetch
>> 7. message_details
>> 8. newmail
>> 9. delete_move_next
>> 10. bug_report
>> 11. jsclock
>> 12. sent_subfolders
>> 13. spamcop
>> 14. administrator
>> 15. calendar
>> 16. info
>> 17. msg_flags
>> 18. squirrelspell
>> 19. translate
>> 20. squirrel_logger
>> 21. dictionary-0.6
>> 22. download_all
>> 23. compatibility
>> 24. smallcal
>> 25. archive_mail
>> 26. add_address
>> 27. attachment_doc
>> 28. autocomplete
>> 29. per_recipient_sent_folders
>> 30. show_thumb
>> 31. check_quota
>> 32. block_attach
>
> HI:
> The answer i mode WORKS FOR ME i found on:
> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.plugins/12569
>
> "Not a documented feature, but you can type ssl://host and change the
> port number, and it will work assuming your PHP version has SSL
> enabled. tls:// can also be used too. This is because the fsockopen
> call doesn't attempt to specify a protocol, so you can "cheat" the
> code by setting it in the hostname"
>
> So i configure:
> server=tls://pop.gmail.com
> port=995
> user
> pass
> destination folder.
>
> I think that is absolutely required that TLS figure as an option when the user
> configure mail_fetch in options.
>
> Best Regards
> Christian
>
> --
> En un mundo sin fronteras.... ¿Quién necesita Puertas y Ventanas?
> EN INGLES: In a world without frontiers, who needs Gates and Windows
> http://www.schdev.com.ar
> http://gnc2.schdev.com.ar

Re: Mail_fetch & gmail

Christian Schmitz-4
Hi André
My customer ( email account user) want keep in a single GUI all accounts email
of 3 different providers.
Provider 1 ( Me ), 1 email of customer webpage domain.
Provider 2 ( ISP), 3 emails provided by ISP. Only pop3 allowed
Provider 3 ( gmail), 2 emails provided by gmail.
Of this i dont know if gmail allow imap, and i dont know how configure
squirrelmail to use imap.

Best Regards
Christian

El Dom 27 Sep 2015, André Z. D. A. escribió:

> [...]
> > code by setting it in the hostname"
> >
> > So i configure:
> > server=tls://pop.gmail.com
> > port=995
> > user
> > pass
> > destination folder.
> >
> > I think that is absolutely required that TLS figure as an option when the
> > user configure mail_fetch in options.
> >
> > Best Regards
> > Christian
> >
> > --
> > En un mundo sin fronteras.... ¿Quién necesita Puertas y Ventanas?
> > EN INGLES: In a world without frontiers, who needs Gates and Windows
> > http://www.schdev.com.ar
> > http://gnc2.schdev.com.ar

En un mundo sin fronteras.... ¿Quién necesita Puertas y Ventanas?
EN INGLES: In a world without frontiers, who needs Gates and Windows

A single GUI for all accounts, of webmail... I think it is not that simple.

I will give you a few ideas that are reasonable to me (and also to many friends that use them like me, and even people that have very small tech interests or habilities).

1. An email client like Thunderbird (there are many others that should be capable of the same, in any OS, any PC and most mobiles - mobile are wacky for simple things, these days). With Mozilla Thunderbird we may configure any number of different email accounts. We do not have to put the messages from each different server in just a single place. They may stay where they are, in the server, we just read them and use the service. Eventually, we may move some message to a "favorite" account, for archive or whatever reason we personally may have. Each server can use its own protocol (IMAP, POP), users and passwords, of course. We may filter message and many other "smaller" things.

2. Some webmail services offer the feature to check other email account we may have. For example, Hotmail may check our IMAP account in YahooMail using either our IMAP or POP configuration (the same we would use for Thunderbird or other programs). Basically, the service is moving or copying the messages so we just check one place - his place. Not misterious, but the client has much more flexibility with this feature than Thunderbird (or others). But it exists, people may prefer it.

2.1. Squirrelmail does not have this feature (maybe through some plugin, but I don't know it). It can be achieved indirectly by setting up our secondary email service (in the example above, it's YahooMail) to redirect all messages to another email address. The side effect may be either: the server will also keep a copy of all redirect messages on our account; redirect messages, but keep no copy of them, ever, so they will only be permanent kept in the redirected to destination (and if we do so there). This redirection is not something "just for Squirrelmail". Changing account/address is one common example where such redirection is a desired feature: we don't lose messages from people who has only the "old" address.

3. I see no problem using several tabs or windows to open a few different email account. Right now I have 3 of them running Squirrelmail, for completely different accounts and servers. When I need this, I keep all the mail tabs in one separate browser window, so it is "close enough" to what a program like Thunderbird would do, although it has much less features to the "full set of accounts", obviously.

Configuring Squirremail to use IMAP is straight forward, I think. Use the configure program that it has. I was familiar with many details the first time I set it up, so I don't even searched docs for this. It should not be hard for you to discover, I assume. But if you have any problems or doubts that are not covered in the documentation ( http://squirrelmail.org/docs/admin/admin.html ), ask here. :) Using POP instead of IMAP will commonly make the messages stop existing on the server (removed from there) and exist only where the client downloaded them to (which may be a single computer, away from your house).

I hope I've been clear and useful (although a bit too long).

Regards,

André

> Hi André
> My customer ( email account user) want keep in a single GUI all accounts email
> of 3 different providers.
> Provider 1 ( Me ), 1 email of customer webpage domain.
> Provider 2 ( ISP), 3 emails provided by ISP. Only pop3 allowed
> Provider 3 ( gmail), 2 emails provided by gmail.
> Of this i dont know if gmail allow imap, and i dont know how configure
> squirrelmail to use imap.
>
> Best Regards
> Christian
>
> El Dom 27 Sep 2015, André Z. D. A. escribió:
>
>> I am just curious with one detail. Why do you use POP instead of IMAP?

>>> HI:
>>> The answer i mode WORKS FOR ME i found on:
>>> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.plugins/12569
>>>
>>> "Not a documented feature, but you can type ssl://host and change the
>>> port number, and it will work assuming your PHP version has SSL
>>> enabled. tls:// can also be used too. This is because the fsockopen
>>> call doesn't attempt to specify a protocol, so you can "cheat" the
>>> code by setting it in the hostname"
>>>
>>> So i configure:
>>> server=tls://pop.gmail.com
>>> port=995
>>> user
>>> pass
>>> destination folder.
>>>
>>> I think that is absolutely required that TLS figure as an option when the
>>> user configure mail_fetch in options.
>>>
>>> Best Regards
>>> Christian
>>>
>>> --
>>> En un mundo sin fronteras.... ¿Quién necesita Puertas y Ventanas?
>>> EN INGLES: In a world without frontiers, who needs Gates and Windows
>>> http://www.schdev.com.ar
>>> http://gnc2.schdev.com.ar

> En un mundo sin fronteras.... ¿Quién necesita Puertas y Ventanas?
> EN INGLES: In a world without frontiers, who needs Gates and Windows
> http://www.schdev.com.ar
> http://gnc2.schdev.com.ar

Re: Mail_fetch & gmail

Paul Lesniewski
Please stop top-posting.

> 2. Some webmail services offer the feature to check other email account we
> may have. For example, Hotmail may check our IMAP account in YahooMail using
> either our IMAP or POP configuration (the same we would use for Thunderbird
> or other programs). Basically, the service is moving or copying the messages
> so we just check one place - his place. Not misterious, but the client has
> much more flexibility with this feature than Thunderbird (or others). But it
> exists, people may prefer it.

Also try fetchmail package

> 2.1. Squirrelmail does not have this feature (maybe through some plugin, but
> I don't know it).

Of course it does, in that it's a server-side feature and there are
many plugins that support managing such features in SquirrelMail.
Also see the mail_fetch plugin.

> It can be achieved indirectly by setting up our secondary
> email service (in the example above, it's YahooMail) to redirect all
> messages to another email address. The side effect may be either: the server
> will also keep a copy of all redirect messages on our account; redirect
> messages, but keep no copy of them, ever, so they will only be permanent
> kept in the redirected to destination (and if we do so there). This
> redirection is not something "just for Squirrelmail". Changing
> account/address is one common example where such redirection is a desired
> feature: we don't lose messages from people who has only the "old" address.
>
> 3. I see no problem using several tabs or windows to open a few different
> email account. Right now I have 3 of them running Squirrelmail, for
> completely different accounts and servers.

Any cookie-based webmail system can only work like this if all
accounts are on different domains.

> Configuring Squirremail to use IMAP

For Gmail, there is a server type prefix in SquirrelMail.  For
checking multiple IMAP accounts from the same SquirrelMail login
session/account, you need customizations.  I have a proprietary plugin
that can do this (offlist inquiries please).

>> Hi André
>> My customer ( email account user) want keep in a single GUI all accounts
>> email
>> of 3 different providers.
>> Provider 1 ( Me ), 1 email of customer webpage domain.
>> Provider 2 ( ISP), 3 emails provided by ISP. Only pop3 allowed
>> Provider 3 ( gmail), 2 emails provided by gmail.
>> Of this i dont know if gmail allow imap, and i dont know how configure
>> squirrelmail to use imap.
>>
>> Best Regards
>> Christian
>>
>> El Dom 27 Sep 2015, André Z. D. A. escribió:
>>
>>> I am just curious with one detail. Why do you use POP instead of IMAP?

>> --
>> En un mundo sin fronteras.... ¿Quién necesita Puertas y Ventanas?
>> EN INGLES: In a world without frontiers, who needs Gates and Windows
>> http://www.schdev.com.ar
>> http://gnc2.schdev.com.ar

Re: Mail_fetch & gmail

André Z. D. A.
"Top-posting is a natural consequence of the behavior of the "reply" function in many current e-mail readers, such as Microsoft Outlook, Gmail, and others. By default, these programs insert into the reply message a copy of the original message (without headers and often without any extra indentation or quotation markers), and position the editing cursor above it." -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style#Top-posting, accessed in 2015-09-30.

I prefer to do it this way. Many mail services and websites can even quote the start of the currect message, leaving quoted parts out (above or bellow the new words, does not matter). I like it. And Squirrelmail also does it.

Thank you