Hotmail does not work with SM?

André Z. D. A.
How do I configure SM to work with hotmail SMTP? Or is it not supported
because it needs the STARTTLS command?

In SM configuration I read:

==
TLS (Transport Layer Security) encrypts the traffic between server and
client.
If you're familiar with SSL, you get the idea.
To use this feature, your SMTP server must offer TLS
capability, plus PHP 4.3.x with OpenSSL support.
Note that the 'STARTTLS' command is not supported; the server must
have a dedicated port listening for TLS connections.

If your SMTP server is localhost, you can safely disable this.
If it is remote, you may wish to seriously consider enabling this.
Enable TLS (y/n) [n]:
==

And by trying to disable TLS I get the error:

==
Message not sent. Server answer:
Required authentication
530 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first
==

The settings that supposedly should work are, from Microsoft's help pages:

Outgoing (SMTP) Server
Server address: smtp-mail.outlook.com
Port: 25 (or 587 if 25 is blocked)
Authentication: Yes
Encrypted Connection: TLS
User name: Your email address
Password: Your password

And I have set up SM with:

4.   SMTP Server           : smtp-mail.outlook.com
5.   SMTP Port             : 587
6.   POP before SMTP       : FALSE
7.   SMTP Authentication   : login (with IMAP username and password)
8.   Secure SMTP (TLS)     : true
9.   Header encryption key :

Is this right? What can I do now?

Re: Hotmail does not work with SM?

Narcis Garcia - GiLUG
I'm using Squirrelmail 1.4.23 in Debian 7, and cannot configure STARTTLS
to access to my SMTP:587 server. Instead of this, I had to open port 465
at SMTP server only for SqM TLS access.

I read that support for STARTTLS is available since SquirrelMail 1.5.1

NOTE FOR THIS LIST ADMINISTRATORS: Footer about news.gmane.org is incorrect.

El 24/12/15 a les 00:53, "André Z.D.A." ha escrit:

> How do I configure SM to work with hotmail SMTP? Or is it not supported
> because it needs the STARTTLS command?
>
> In SM configuration I read:
>
> ==
> TLS (Transport Layer Security) encrypts the traffic between server and
> client.
> If you're familiar with SSL, you get the idea.
> To use this feature, your SMTP server must offer TLS
> capability, plus PHP 4.3.x with OpenSSL support.
> Note that the 'STARTTLS' command is not supported; the server must
> have a dedicated port listening for TLS connections.
>
> If your SMTP server is localhost, you can safely disable this.
> If it is remote, you may wish to seriously consider enabling this.
> Enable TLS (y/n) [n]:
> ==
>
> And by trying to disable TLS I get the error:
>
> ==
> Message not sent. Server answer:
> Required authentication
> 530 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first
> ==
>
> The settings that supposedly should work are, from Microsoft's help pages:
>
> Outgoing (SMTP) Server
> Server address: smtp-mail.outlook.com
> Port: 25 (or 587 if 25 is blocked)
> Authentication: Yes
> Encrypted Connection: TLS
> User name: Your email address
> Password: Your password
>
> And I have set up SM with:
>
> 4.   SMTP Server           : smtp-mail.outlook.com
> 5.   SMTP Port             : 587
> 6.   POP before SMTP       : FALSE
> 7.   SMTP Authentication   : login (with IMAP username and password)
> 8.   Secure SMTP (TLS)     : true
> 9.   Header encryption key :
>

> Is this right? What can I do now?

Re: Hotmail does not work with SM?

André Z. D. A.
I forgot to say my version of SM. It is 1.4.22 in Ubuntu.

Port 465 does not work for hotmail today, I guess. It changes the
behaviour, though. Instead of a direct error it waits for 60s and then
gives a timeout error.

-=-=-=-=-= Certo dia, Narcis Garcia escreveu: =-=-=-=-=-

> I'm using Squirrelmail 1.4.23 in Debian 7, and cannot configure STARTTLS
> to access to my SMTP:587 server. Instead of this, I had to open port 465
> at SMTP server only for SqM TLS access.
>
> I read that support for STARTTLS is available since SquirrelMail 1.5.1
>

> NOTE FOR THIS LIST ADMINISTRATORS: Footer about news.gmane.org is
> incorrect.
>

> El 24/12/15 a les 00:53, "André Z.D.A." ha escrit:
>> How do I configure SM to work with hotmail SMTP? Or is it not supported
>> because it needs the STARTTLS command?
>>
>> In SM configuration I read:
>>
>> ==
>> TLS (Transport Layer Security) encrypts the traffic between server and
>> client.
>> If you're familiar with SSL, you get the idea.
>> To use this feature, your SMTP server must offer TLS
>> capability, plus PHP 4.3.x with OpenSSL support.
>> Note that the 'STARTTLS' command is not supported; the server must
>> have a dedicated port listening for TLS connections.
>>
>> If your SMTP server is localhost, you can safely disable this.
>> If it is remote, you may wish to seriously consider enabling this.
>> Enable TLS (y/n) [n]:
>> ==
>>
>> And by trying to disable TLS I get the error:
>>
>> ==
>> Message not sent. Server answer:
>> Required authentication
>> 530 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first
>> ==
>>
>> The settings that supposedly should work are, from Microsoft's help
>> pages:
>>
>> Outgoing (SMTP) Server
>> Server address: smtp-mail.outlook.com
>> Port: 25 (or 587 if 25 is blocked)
>> Authentication: Yes
>> Encrypted Connection: TLS
>> User name: Your email address
>> Password: Your password
>>
>> And I have set up SM with:
>>
>> 4.   SMTP Server           : smtp-mail.outlook.com
>> 5.   SMTP Port             : 587
>> 6.   POP before SMTP       : FALSE
>> 7.   SMTP Authentication   : login (with IMAP username and password)
>> 8.   Secure SMTP (TLS)     : true
>> 9.   Header encryption key :
>>

>> Is this right? What can I do now?

>> List info (subscribe/unsubscribe/change options):

> List info (subscribe/unsubscribe/change options):

Re: Hotmail does not work with SM?

Narcis Garcia - GiLUG
* I see SquirrelMail is still 1.4.23 in Debian 8.
* Same in Debian/sid
* Same in Ubuntu 15.10

El 24/12/15 a les 12:46, "André Z.D.A." ha escrit:

> I forgot to say my version of SM. It is 1.4.22 in Ubuntu.
>
> Port 465 does not work for hotmail today, I guess. It changes the
> behaviour, though. Instead of a direct error it waits for 60s and then
> gives a timeout error.
>

> -=-=-=-=-= Certo dia, Narcis Garcia escreveu: =-=-=-=-=-
>> I'm using Squirrelmail 1.4.23 in Debian 7, and cannot configure STARTTLS
>> to access to my SMTP:587 server. Instead of this, I had to open port 465
>> at SMTP server only for SqM TLS access.
>>
>> I read that support for STARTTLS is available since SquirrelMail 1.5.1
>>

>> NOTE FOR THIS LIST ADMINISTRATORS: Footer about news.gmane.org is
>> incorrect.
>>

>> El 24/12/15 a les 00:53, "André Z.D.A." ha escrit:
>>> How do I configure SM to work with hotmail SMTP? Or is it not supported
>>> because it needs the STARTTLS command?
>>>
>>> In SM configuration I read:
>>>
>>> ==
>>> TLS (Transport Layer Security) encrypts the traffic between server and
>>> client.
>>> If you're familiar with SSL, you get the idea.
>>> To use this feature, your SMTP server must offer TLS
>>> capability, plus PHP 4.3.x with OpenSSL support.
>>> Note that the 'STARTTLS' command is not supported; the server must
>>> have a dedicated port listening for TLS connections.
>>>
>>> If your SMTP server is localhost, you can safely disable this.
>>> If it is remote, you may wish to seriously consider enabling this.
>>> Enable TLS (y/n) [n]:
>>> ==
>>>
>>> And by trying to disable TLS I get the error:
>>>
>>> ==
>>> Message not sent. Server answer:
>>> Required authentication
>>> 530 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first
>>> ==
>>>
>>> The settings that supposedly should work are, from Microsoft's help
>>> pages:
>>>
>>> Outgoing (SMTP) Server
>>> Server address: smtp-mail.outlook.com
>>> Port: 25 (or 587 if 25 is blocked)
>>> Authentication: Yes
>>> Encrypted Connection: TLS
>>> User name: Your email address
>>> Password: Your password
>>>
>>> And I have set up SM with:
>>>
>>> 4.   SMTP Server           : smtp-mail.outlook.com
>>> 5.   SMTP Port             : 587
>>> 6.   POP before SMTP       : FALSE
>>> 7.   SMTP Authentication   : login (with IMAP username and password)
>>> 8.   Secure SMTP (TLS)     : true
>>> 9.   Header encryption key :
>>>

>>> Is this right? What can I do now?

>>> List info (subscribe/unsubscribe/change options):

>> List info (subscribe/unsubscribe/change options):

Re: Hotmail does not work with SM?

Paul Lesniewski
>> -=-=-=-=-= Certo dia, Narcis Garcia escreveu: =-=-=-=-=-
>>> I'm using Squirrelmail 1.4.23 in Debian 7, and cannot configure STARTTLS
>>> to access to my SMTP:587 server. Instead of this, I had to open port 465
>>> at SMTP server only for SqM TLS access.
>>>
>>> I read that support for STARTTLS is available since SquirrelMail 1.5.1

STARTTLS is available if you download a 1.4.23-SVN snapshot

Re: Hotmail does not work with SM?

André Z. D. A.

> STARTTLS is available if you download a 1.4.23-SVN snapshot

Oh, that's something nice to know! I'll check it.

Why 1.4.23 isn't marked as stable yet (the reason that made me choose
4.22) ? What does it need or miss?

Re: Hotmail does not work with SM?

Narcis Garcia - GiLUG
No repository with binaries for Debian; the solution is a bad practise
for wide systems administration.

El 24/12/15 a les 23:34, Paul Lesniewski ha escrit: