Empty / damaged mails in INBOX

Jakub Nadolny
Hi,

I've configured SquirrelMail on new server. The problem
is that it displays some mails as empty, some are damaged (only part of
message body is shown), some are perfectly fine (most of them).
I've checked that all emails are ok on server side. When I connect with
other IMAPS client (mutt) - they are also ok - no empty/damaged emails.
So it looks like the problem likes in SquirrelMail itself.

I suppose that maybe this is the source of the problem:
PHP Warning:  htmlspecialchars(): charset `iso-8859-2' not supported,
assuming utf-8 in /usr/share/squirrelmail/functions/strings.php on line
1508, referer: https://poczta.mahajana.net/src/left_main.php

# locale -a
C.UTF-8
en_US.utf8
pl_PL
pl_PL.iso88592
pl_PL.utf8
polish
POSIX

Language preferences
1.  Default Language       : pl_PL
2.  Default Charset        : utf-8
3.  Enable lossy encoding  : true

I use SquirrelMail on Debian Jessie.
squirrelmail-configuration show version 1.4.0
apt-cache shows 1.4.23~svn20120406-2
PHP 5.6.14-0+deb8u1
Apache 2.4.10-10+deb8u1
Dovecot 2.2.13

How can I solve this issue?
Regards,
Jakub

List address: [hidden email]
List archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.user

Re: Empty / damaged mails in INBOX

"Tóth Attila"
2016.Január 22.(P) 16:21 időpontban Jakub Nadolny ezt írta:
> I've configured SquirrelMail on new server. The problem
> is that it displays some mails as empty, some are damaged (only part of
> message body is shown), some are perfectly fine (most of them).
> I've checked that all emails are ok on server side. When I connect with
> other IMAPS client (mutt) - they are also ok - no empty/damaged emails.
> So it looks like the problem likes in SquirrelMail itself.

As a first guess, please take a look at on this bug:
http://sourceforge.net/p/squirrelmail/bugs/2806/

I also advise you to use a more recent SVN pull of squirrelmail.

BR: Dw.
--
dr Tóth Attila, Radiológus, 06-20-825-8057
Attila Toth MD, Radiologist, +36-20-825-8057

> I suppose that maybe this is the source of the problem:
> PHP Warning:  htmlspecialchars(): charset `iso-8859-2' not supported,
> assuming utf-8 in /usr/share/squirrelmail/functions/strings.php on line
> 1508, referer: https://poczta.mahajana.net/src/left_main.php
>
> # locale -a
> C.UTF-8
> en_US.utf8
> pl_PL
> pl_PL.iso88592
> pl_PL.utf8
> polish
> POSIX
>
> Language preferences
> 1.  Default Language       : pl_PL
> 2.  Default Charset        : utf-8
> 3.  Enable lossy encoding  : true
>
> I use SquirrelMail on Debian Jessie.
> squirrelmail-configuration show version 1.4.0
> apt-cache shows 1.4.23~svn20120406-2
> PHP 5.6.14-0+deb8u1
> Apache 2.4.10-10+deb8u1
> Dovecot 2.2.13
>
> How can I solve this issue?
> Regards,
> Jakub

> List address: [hidden email]
> List archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.user
> List info (subscribe/unsubscribe/change options):

List address: [hidden email]
List archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.user

On Fri, Jan 22, 2016 at 05:01:55PM +0100, "Tóth Attila" wrote:

> 2016.Január 22.(P) 16:21 időpontban Jakub Nadolny ezt írta:
> > I've configured SquirrelMail on new server. The problem
> > is that it displays some mails as empty, some are damaged (only part of
> > message body is shown), some are perfectly fine (most of them).
> > I've checked that all emails are ok on server side. When I connect with
> > other IMAPS client (mutt) - they are also ok - no empty/damaged emails.
> > So it looks like the problem likes in SquirrelMail itself.
>
> As a first guess, please take a look at on this bug:
> http://sourceforge.net/p/squirrelmail/bugs/2806/
>
> I also advise you to use a more recent SVN pull of squirrelmail.

Thanks. I've installed squirrelmail-20160122_0200-SVN.stable.tar.bz2
Now I can see these emails but... in some cases instead of diactrical
characters I can see only some random ones.

List address: [hidden email]
List archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.user

On Fri, Jan 22, 2016 at 08:18:59PM +0100, Jakub Nadolny wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 22, 2016 at 05:01:55PM +0100, "Tóth Attila" wrote:
> > 2016.Január 22.(P) 16:21 időpontban Jakub Nadolny ezt írta:
> > > I've configured SquirrelMail on new server. The problem
> > > is that it displays some mails as empty, some are damaged (only part of
> > > message body is shown), some are perfectly fine (most of them).
> > > I've checked that all emails are ok on server side. When I connect with
> > > other IMAPS client (mutt) - they are also ok - no empty/damaged emails.
> > > So it looks like the problem likes in SquirrelMail itself.
> >
> > As a first guess, please take a look at on this bug:
> > http://sourceforge.net/p/squirrelmail/bugs/2806/
> >
> > I also advise you to use a more recent SVN pull of squirrelmail.
>
> Thanks. I've installed squirrelmail-20160122_0200-SVN.stable.tar.bz2
> Now I can see these emails but... in some cases instead of diactrical
> characters I can see only some random ones.

Just for records: It looks like problem is solved by appying a patch:
http://sourceforge.net/p/squirrelmail/bugs/_discuss/thread/feebafb3/4a28/attachment/quoted_printable_fix-1.4.x-version_2.diff
(partially I had to do this manually, as Hunk #3 FAILED)
Anyway, it looks like problem is known for years, so why this patch is
not applied to SquirrelMail source code base?

List address: [hidden email]
List archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.user