Quantcast

ERROR: IMAP server closed the connection.

ERROR: IMAP server closed the connection.

Mark Elliott

Greetings…

I am running 1.5.2 [SVN] on a turnkey debian (VM) using IMAP to connect to imap-mail.outlook.com.  Where the folder list should be in the left-pane, I have this error:

ERROR: IMAP server closed the connection.
Query: LIST "" {11} INBOX.Trash
Server responded:* BYE Client must wait for a continuation request response before sending data.

I didn’t receive this error using 1.4.2, but need the STARTTLS functionality for to send messages.  The right-pane, where the messages are listed, renders properly.

-Mark

Screenshot of error:

Output from configtest:

SquirrelMail configtest

This script will try to check some aspects of your SquirrelMail configuration and point you to errors whereever it can find them. You need to go run conf.pl in the config/ directory first before you run this script.

SquirrelMail version:

1.5.2 [SVN]

Config file version:

1.5.0

Config file last modified:

31 December 2014 23:47:15

Checking PHP configuration...
    PHP version 5.4.4-14+deb7u5 OK. (You have: 5.4.4-14+deb7u5. Minimum: 4.1.0)
    Running as www-data(33) / www-data(33)
    display_errors: (overridden with 1 for this page only)
    error_reporting: 22527 (overridden with 32767 for this page only)
    variables_order OK: GPCS.
    PHP extensions OK. Dynamic loading is disabled.
    Web server is running as user: www-data (33)
    Web server is running as group: www-data (33)
Checking paths...
    Data dir OK.
    Attachment dir OK.
Checking plugins...
    Plugins are not enabled in config.
    Themes OK.
    Default language OK.
    Base URL detected as: http://192.168.1.8:443/squirrelmail/src (location base autodetected)
Checking outgoing mail service....

( ! ) Notice: Undefined variable: client_ip in /var/www/squirrelmail/src/configtest.php on line 655

Call Stack

#

Time

Memory

Function

Location

1

0.0004

381808

{main}( )

../configtest.php:0

( ! ) Notice: Undefined variable: client_ip in /var/www/squirrelmail/src/configtest.php on line 658

Call Stack

#

Time

Memory

Function

Location

1

0.0004

381808

{main}( )

../configtest.php:0

    SMTP STARTTLS extension looks OK.
    SMTP server OK (220 BLU436-SMTP218.smtp.hotmail.com Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service, Version: 8.0.9200.16384 ready at Wed, 31 Dec 2014 16:18:06 -0800)
Checking IMAP service....
    IMAP server ready (* OK Outlook.com IMAP4rev1 server version 17.4.0.0 ready (BLU451-IMAP76))
    Capabilities: * CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 CHILDREN ID NAMESPACE UIDPLUS UNSELECT AUTH=PLAIN AUTH=XOAUTH2 SASL-IR
Checking internationalization (i18n) settings...
     gettext - Gettext functions are available. On some systems you must have appropriate system locales compiled.
        Test translations. This test is not accurate and might work only on some systems.
     mbstring - Mbstring functions are available.
     recode - Recode functions are unavailable.
     iconv - Iconv functions are available.
     timezone - Webmail users can change their time zone settings. Current time zone is UTC.
Checking database functions...
    not using database functionality.
Checking LDAP functions...
    not using LDAP functionality.

Summary

Congratulations, your SquirrelMail setup looks fine to me!

List address: [hidden email]
List archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.devel

Re: ERROR: IMAP server closed the connection.

Paul Lesniewski
> I am running 1.5.2 [SVN] on a turnkey debian (VM) using IMAP to connect to
> imap-mail.outlook.com.  Where the folder list should be in the left-pane, I
> have this error:

You might consider sharing your configuration settings on the users
mailing list for using SquirrelMail with outlook.com, since some
others may appreciate the help.

> ERROR: IMAP server closed the connection.
> Query: LIST "" {11} INBOX.Trash
> Server responded:* BYE Client must wait for a continuation request response
> before sending data.

I wouldn't expect outlook.com to be too helpful about this, although
someone with access to a "Microsoft Exchange Server 2013 IMAP4" server
might be able to shed some light on this.  Grabbing the network
traffic while you do this would also be informative.

> I didn't receive this error using 1.4.2, but need the STARTTLS
> functionality for to send messages.  The right-pane, where the
> messages are listed, renders properly.

Not too long ago, I offered to add STARTTLS to 1.4.23 if a mailing
list user would help test, but I never heard back from them....

List address: [hidden email]
List archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.devel