Quantcast

Can't make SquirrelMail have chosen attach size. Why?

Can't make SquirrelMail have chosen attach size. Why?

André Z. D. A.
I am trying to configure an SM setup to allow attachments in any number, but total size 25 MiB.

I have changed SM's php.ini (and php_ini too, if it should make any difference) after seeing my desired size was not working. Now, calling phpinfo() in the SM root, I have:

memory_limit 300M 300M
post_max_size 50M 50M
upload_max_filesize 20M 20M

But the atachment max size showed on the compose screen didn't change, it's 2M as it was initially.

What should I change now? My configtest output, if useful, is (taken out fixed parts and a few info was changed, nothing important for the question, hopefully):

=======================
SquirrelMail configtest
SquirrelMail version: 1.4.22
Config file version: 1.4.0
Config file last modified: 25 04 2015 20:39:35
 Checking PHP configuration...
     PHP version 5.3.13 OK.
     Running as XXX(1234) / YYY(5678)
     display_errors: 1
     error_reporting: 22519   # what does this mean??
     variables_order OK: EGPCS.
     PHP extensions OK. Dynamic loading is enabled.
 Checking paths...
     Data dir OK.
     Attachment dir OK.
     Plugins OK.
     Themes OK.
     Default language OK.
     Base URL detected as: http://URL/~xxx/base/src (location base autodetected)
 Checking outgoing mail service....
     SMTP server OK (220 smtp.mail.server.com ESMTP ready)
 Checking IMAP service....
     IMAP server ready (* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 ID NAMESPACE X-ID-ACLID UIDPLUS LITERAL+ CHILDREN XAPPLEPUSHSERVICE XYMHIGHESTMODSEQ AUTH=PLAIN AUTH=LOGIN AUTH=XOAUTH2 AUTH=XYMCOOKIE AUTH=XYMECOOKIE AUTH=XYMCOOKIEB64 AUTH=XYMPKI] IMAP4rev1 imapgate-1.8.1_01.61594 imap506.mail.ne1.server.com)
     Capabilities: * CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 ID NAMESPACE X-ID-ACLID UIDPLUS LITERAL+ CHILDREN XAPPLEPUSHSERVICE XYMHIGHESTMODSEQ AUTH=PLAIN AUTH=LOGIN AUTH=XOAUTH2 AUTH=XYMCOOKIE AUTH=XYMECOOKIE AUTH=XYMCOOKIEB64 AUTH=XYMPKI
 Checking internationalization (i18n) settings...
      gettext - Gettext functions are available. On some systems you must have appropriate system locales compiled.
      mbstring - Mbstring functions are available.
      recode - Recode functions are unavailable.
      iconv - Iconv functions are available.
      timezone - Webmail users can change their time zone settings.
 Checking database functions...
     not using database functionality.

Congratulations, your SquirrelMail setup looks fine to me!
=======================

André

List address: [hidden email]
List archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.user

Re: Can't make SquirrelMail have chosen attach size. Why?

Rich Hall

Did you restart Apache after changing /etc/php.ini??? Also the max upload size
you have will limit you to 20M... Change that to 25M for a 25M limit.. and
restart Apache for the change to take effect.

-R

On Sat, April 25, 2015 18:35, André Z. D. A. wrote:

> I am trying to configure an SM setup to allow attachments in any number, but
> total size 25 MiB.
>
> I have changed SM's php.ini (and php_ini too, if it should make any difference)
> after seeing my desired size was not working. Now, calling phpinfo() in the SM
> root, I have:
>
> memory_limit 300M 300M
> post_max_size 50M 50M
> upload_max_filesize 20M 20M
>
> But the atachment max size showed on the compose screen didn't change, it's 2M
> as it was initially.
>
> What should I change now? My configtest output, if useful, is (taken out fixed
> parts and a few info was changed, nothing important for the question,
> hopefully):
>
> =======================
> SquirrelMail configtest
> SquirrelMail version: 1.4.22
> Config file version: 1.4.0
> Config file last modified: 25 04 2015 20:39:35
>  Checking PHP configuration...
>      PHP version 5.3.13 OK.
>      Running as XXX(1234) / YYY(5678)
>      display_errors: 1
>      error_reporting: 22519   # what does this mean??
>      variables_order OK: EGPCS.
>      PHP extensions OK. Dynamic loading is enabled.
>  Checking paths...
>      Data dir OK.
>      Attachment dir OK.
>      Plugins OK.
>      Themes OK.
>      Default language OK.
>      Base URL detected as: http://URL/~xxx/base/src (location base autodetected)
>  Checking outgoing mail service....
>      SMTP server OK (220 smtp.mail.server.com ESMTP ready)
>  Checking IMAP service....
>      IMAP server ready (* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 ID NAMESPACE X-ID-ACLID
> UIDPLUS LITERAL+ CHILDREN XAPPLEPUSHSERVICE XYMHIGHESTMODSEQ AUTH=PLAIN
> AUTH=LOGIN AUTH=XOAUTH2 AUTH=XYMCOOKIE AUTH=XYMECOOKIE AUTH=XYMCOOKIEB64
> AUTH=XYMPKI] IMAP4rev1 imapgate-1.8.1_01.61594 imap506.mail.ne1.server.com)
>      Capabilities: * CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 ID NAMESPACE X-ID-ACLID UIDPLUS
> LITERAL+ CHILDREN XAPPLEPUSHSERVICE XYMHIGHESTMODSEQ AUTH=PLAIN AUTH=LOGIN
> AUTH=XOAUTH2 AUTH=XYMCOOKIE AUTH=XYMECOOKIE AUTH=XYMCOOKIEB64 AUTH=XYMPKI
>  Checking internationalization (i18n) settings...
>       gettext - Gettext functions are available. On some systems you must have
> appropriate system locales compiled.
>       mbstring - Mbstring functions are available.
>       recode - Recode functions are unavailable.
>       iconv - Iconv functions are available.
>       timezone - Webmail users can change their time zone settings.
>  Checking database functions...
>      not using database functionality.
>
> Congratulations, your SquirrelMail setup looks fine to me!
> =======================
>
> André

> List address: [hidden email]
> List archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.user
> List info (subscribe/unsubscribe/change options):

-R

 Rich Hall
 [hidden email]
 http://www.netlynx.us/rich/
 ham radio: kf6arx
 Some people are like slinkies.. Not really good for anything useful,
 but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.
 And remember - if it ain't broke, hit it again.

List address: [hidden email]
List archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.user

Re: Can't make SquirrelMail have chosen attach size. Why?

André Z. D. A.
First, this server is not my own. Many others use it. So, I must edit my site setup separately. System wide changes are out of scope.

For the same reason, restarts won't happen easily, not just because I need/want it. I tried to confirm that my configuration was changing (as I edited the files) by asking phpinfo() function in a test page inside the same folder. It does change! Takes about 60s after I write the php.ini inside SM folder. Is the PHP report different from Apache's current values before a restart?

And thank you for pointing the 20M detail I missed. The problem is not this, tough - I guess. Squirrel reports (in the compose screen) only 2MB (different of phpinfo(); ). If I try sending a bigger file (like 3MB), I get the error saying "Can't move/copy the file. It isn't attached", but message draft and previous attachs are kept there.

On the other hand, 2MB limit is for *each* file. So I can attach, for example, 12 MB of files total and send the message. Just did it, seems to work (message arrived with files in it).

Everything is working fine with SM so far. That's good. Just attachments seems to hold it away from 100% now. :)

André

> [...]
>> recode - Recode functions are unavailable.
>> iconv - Iconv functions are available.
>> timezone - Webmail users can change their time zone settings.
>> Checking database functions...
>> not using database functionality.
>>
>> Congratulations, your SquirrelMail setup looks fine to me!
>> =======================
>>
>> André

>> List address: [hidden email]
>> List archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.user
>> List info (subscribe/unsubscribe/change options):
>
> -R

> Rich Hall
> [hidden email]
> http://www.netlynx.us/rich/
> ham radio: kf6arx
> Some people are like slinkies.. Not really good for anything useful,
> but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.
> And remember - if it ain't broke, hit it again.

List address: [hidden email]
List archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.user

Re: Can't make SquirrelMail have chosen attach size. Why?

Rich Hall

I really don't have any suggestions for you at this time as I am unfamiliar with
the configuration for your environment... I don't like single server shared
machines.. and there is little reason for such environments these days with
virtualized machines being so simple and inexpensive to operate.. Companies like
NTTA.com, Rackspace and others offer very nice virtualized machine environments
really cheap these days and the machine is yours to configure and manage as you
wish and have complete control of the environment.

I am a Sr. Linux admin for a very large cloud service company and I am pretty
certain that you problem lies in the need to restart the web server to get it to
reload the php.ini and with not being able to do that makes it difficult to
debug.

Someone else here on the group my know something else I don't know..

Good luck..
-R

On Sun, April 26, 2015 19:18, André Z. D. A. wrote:

> [...]
>> Some people are like slinkies.. Not really good for anything useful,
>> but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.
>> And remember - if it ain't broke, hit it again.

>> List address: [hidden email]
>> List archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.user
>> List info (subscribe/unsubscribe/change options):

> List address: [hidden email]
> List archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.user
> List info (subscribe/unsubscribe/change options):

-R

 Rich Hall
 [hidden email]
 http://www.netlynx.us/rich/
 ham radio: kf6arx
 Some people are like slinkies.. Not really good for anything useful,
 but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.
 And remember - if it ain't broke, hit it again.

List address: [hidden email]
List archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.user

Re: Can't make SquirrelMail have chosen attach size. Why?

André Z. D. A.
Thank you very much for your help and attention.

If you think a reboot is all that is needed, a solution should exist to this (the problem is that I assumed it wasn't needed, for the tests I did). This case feels common.

See you around

> [...]
>>> Some people are like slinkies.. Not really good for anything useful,
>>> but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.
>>> And remember - if it ain't broke, hit it again.

>>> List address: [hidden email]
>>> List archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.user
>>> List info (subscribe/unsubscribe/change options):

>> List address: [hidden email]
>> List archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.user
>> List info (subscribe/unsubscribe/change options):
>
> -R

> Rich Hall
> [hidden email]
> http://www.netlynx.us/rich/
> ham radio: kf6arx
> Some people are like slinkies.. Not really good for anything useful,
> but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.
> And remember - if it ain't broke, hit it again.

List address: [hidden email]
List archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.user

Re: Can't make SquirrelMail have chosen attach size. Why?

Ryan Dagey-2
> Thank you very much for your help and attention.
>
> If you think a reboot is all that is needed, a solution should exist to this (the problem is that I assumed it wasn't needed, for the tests I did). This case feels common.
>
> See you around

Can you throw your phpInfo() into a page and link it? You will need to restart apache if you modify the php.ini, but if it is a shared system, you can also modify values using .htaccess. The goal is to confirm you have the right directives set and where. Note that there are generally two php.ini, one for command line and one for apache.

--
Ryan Dagey

List address: [hidden email]
List archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.user

On Tue, April 28, 2015 06:21, [hidden email] wrote:

> [...]

Ryan,

As far as I am aware two php.ini files is a Debianism..  CentOS/RHEL uses only
one php.ini which is located in /etc/ . I don't do a huge amount of web oriented
stuff, mostly OS/system level and openstack/cloudstack things these days with
some admin of various services like the company wiki and chat servers, so I may
be wrong but I have been doing CentOS/RH admin since RH 1.x and have never seen
two php.ini files..

Good pointer on the .htaccess stuff.. I forgot all about stuffing vars into there..

Have a good day.
-R

 Rich Hall
 Sr. Linux Cloud Systems Administrator, NTT America: nnta.com
 Some people are like slinkies.. Not really good for anything useful,
 but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

List address: [hidden email]
List archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.user

Re: Can't make SquirrelMail have chosen attach size. Why?

Ryan Dagey-2

> Ryan,
>
> As far as I am aware two php.ini files is a Debianism..  CentOS/RHEL uses
only one php.ini which is located in /etc/ . I don't do a huge amount of web
oriented stuff, mostly OS/system level and openstack/cloudstack things these
days with some admin of various services like the company wiki and chat
> servers, so I may be wrong but I have been doing CentOS/RH admin since RH
1.x and have never seen two php.ini files..

> Good pointer on the .htaccess stuff.. I forgot all about stuffing vars
into there..

> Have a good day.
> -R

Yeah that probably is the case; I use Gentoo mainly, and it has the 2
php.ini. As long as you're changing the right file, it should be fine,
though it does require an apache restart to take effect (might be a good
idea to do so in off-peak time despite generally being very quick). I
mentioned the htaccess as there was some discussion about limited access to
system modification, in which case htaccess is a simple alternative. I did
notice in my own configuration, I changed both upload_max_filesize &
post_max_size--though I'm not sure both are required. Not all PHP variables
can be managed in htaccess but the list is easily googled.

--
Ryan

List address: [hidden email]
List archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.user

Re: Can't make SquirrelMail have chosen attach size. Why?

André Z. D. A.
I'll research a bit on what exactly I can do (with my server) in htaccess.

And I'll post phpinfo output without removing the "uneeded" lines - complete, basically.

Just give me a couple of days.

Thank you, very much

>> Ryan,
>>
>> As far as I am aware two php.ini files is a Debianism.. CentOS/RHEL uses
>
> only one php.ini which is located in /etc/ . I don't do a huge amount of web
> oriented stuff, mostly OS/system level and openstack/cloudstack things these
> days with some admin of various services like the company wiki and chat
>
>> servers, so I may be wrong but I have been doing CentOS/RH admin since RH
>
> 1.x and have never seen two php.ini files..
>
>> Good pointer on the .htaccess stuff.. I forgot all about stuffing vars
>
> into there..
>
>> Have a good day.
>> -R
>
> Yeah that probably is the case; I use Gentoo mainly, and it has the 2
> php.ini. As long as you're changing the right file, it should be fine,
> though it does require an apache restart to take effect (might be a good
> idea to do so in off-peak time despite generally being very quick). I
> mentioned the htaccess as there was some discussion about limited access to
> system modification, in which case htaccess is a simple alternative. I did
> notice in my own configuration, I changed both upload_max_filesize &
> post_max_size--though I'm not sure both are required. Not all PHP variables
> can be managed in htaccess but the list is easily googled.
>
> --
> Ryan

> List address: [hidden email]
> List archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.user