Blank Screen after login

Dan Mahoney, System Admin
Hey there all.

I'm running Squirrelmail 1.4.22 under php5.3 under freeBSD.

After I log in, some of my users are getting blank pages.  I don't believe
it's a PHP error -- everything is configured fine and works for most
users.  All squirrelmail configtests seem to indicate everything's hunky
dory.

While I think I've solved my problem at the moment, I wanted to document
it here.

The behavior is thus:

Apache/2.2.22 (FreeBSD) PHP/5.3.13 with Suhosin-Patch mod_ssl/2.2.22
OpenSSL/0.9.8q

IMAP is uw, uw-imapproxxy,
and dovecot.

1) User is able to log in, ie they get a login form and are able to
submit it.  Someone tailing the mail server logs will see an imap login.

2) Dovecot loads a folder, and ostensibly sends it along to squirrelmail.
TCPdump confirms this.

3) Squirrelmail never displays it -- and in fact never even closes the
connection to the imap server.  Browser continues to spin.

4) Any future access attempt seems to pick up the same session and hangs
in a similar manner.  You can't even bring up the login page again from
that browser, unless you restart apache.

So, here's what I discovered/tried in trying to solve this problem:

* The problem went away for *some* users once I raised the memory limit,
but the user I'm working with now about 300M in size.  I've set php's
memory limit WAY higher than that as a debug, but with no luck.

* The debug plugin is not helpful -- it conflicted with multilogin.  This
is perhaps a bug.

* I've tried moving user homedirs to different partitions (they're on NFS
at the moment, just to rule out NFS overhead (although all other imap
worked -- all other imaps)).

* I've tried turning off the suhosin patch by setting suhosin.simulation =
On in my php.ini, no help.

* once apache was in this "stuck" state, I couldn't even load the
squirrelmail config-test.  (I could load a plain vanilla php phpinfo()
page)

* Finally, on a hunch, I disabled the "filters" plugin.  Access came back
to normal.  I'm still not sure that this "solved the problem" but my user
is happy, so I'm sticking with it.

Questions:

I recognize that there's not been a new release in a while, which is a
shame, so the hope of fixing these items may be low, but I'll ask anyway:

So, here's my big question -- why is this failure mode so obnoxious?

If this problem is filters, why not send a redirect that says "still
filtering, come back in a moment"?  Or just output a status instead of a
white, spinning page?

Why not set a sane filtering timeout by default?

Does filtering try to filter the *entire mailbox*, or just the N messages
being displayed?  If it's just the N messages, perhaps it should only
filter those N, which means yeah, your main page may have <N (or even 0)
messages on it.

Why is debugger/multilogin broken?

Why does a hit to login.php not expire the session?

Why is there no logout.php -- just a page that does nothing but kill
sessions and reset?

Apologies for the rant, but I've poured about 12 hours of my time trying
various debugs on this -- tweaking and even recompiling PHP, and I think
there's got to be a better way.  The fact that this is a "core" plugin,
especially, would seem to imply it should be better behaved.

-Dan

Re: Blank Screen after login

Paul Lesniewski
On Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 3:05 PM, Dan Mahoney, System Admin
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey there all.
>
> I'm running Squirrelmail 1.4.22 under php5.3 under freeBSD.
>
> After I log in, some of my users are getting blank pages.  I don't believe
> it's a PHP error -- everything is configured fine and works for most
> users.  All squirrelmail configtests seem to indicate everything's hunky
> dory.
>
> While I think I've solved my problem at the moment, I wanted to document
> it here.
>
> The behavior is thus:
>
> Apache/2.2.22 (FreeBSD) PHP/5.3.13 with Suhosin-Patch mod_ssl/2.2.22
> OpenSSL/0.9.8q
>
> IMAP is uw, uw-imapproxxy,
> and dovecot.
>
> 1) User is able to log in, ie they get a login form and are able to
> submit it.  Someone tailing the mail server logs will see an imap login.
>
> 2) Dovecot loads a folder, and ostensibly sends it along to squirrelmail.
> TCPdump confirms this.
>
> 3) Squirrelmail never displays it -- and in fact never even closes the
> connection to the imap server.  Browser continues to spin.
>
> 4) Any future access attempt seems to pick up the same session and hangs
> in a similar manner.  You can't even bring up the login page again from
> that browser, unless you restart apache.
>
> So, here's what I discovered/tried in trying to solve this problem:
>
> * The problem went away for *some* users once I raised the memory limit,
> but the user I'm working with now about 300M in size.  I've set php's
> memory limit WAY higher than that as a debug, but with no luck.
>
> * The debug plugin is not helpful -- it conflicted with multilogin.  This
> is perhaps a bug.
>
> * I've tried moving user homedirs to different partitions (they're on NFS
> at the moment, just to rule out NFS overhead (although all other imap
> worked -- all other imaps)).
>
> * I've tried turning off the suhosin patch by setting suhosin.simulation =
> On in my php.ini, no help.
>
> * once apache was in this "stuck" state, I couldn't even load the
> squirrelmail config-test.  (I could load a plain vanilla php phpinfo()
> page)
>
> * Finally, on a hunch, I disabled the "filters" plugin.  Access came back
> to normal.  I'm still not sure that this "solved the problem" but my user
> is happy, so I'm sticking with it.

Have you tried sniffing the IMAP port?  You could watch the full IMAP
conversation and perhaps get a better idea of where things break down.
 However, it's quite well documented on the lists and our website that
the filters plugin is bad news.  If you're not doing server side,
delivery time filtering, you're asking for problems.  The other thing
to check is how much incoming mail such users have and how many
filters they have and whether or not they have chosen to filter only
unread mail.

http://www.squirrelmail.org/docs/admin/admin-6.html#ss6.5

Once you confirm that this really is your problem, it would be well
worth your while to implement a real filtering system.

> Questions:
>
> I recognize that there's not been a new release in a while, which is a
> shame, so the hope of fixing these items may be low, but I'll ask anyway:
>
> So, here's my big question -- why is this failure mode so obnoxious?
>
> If this problem is filters, why not send a redirect that says "still
> filtering, come back in a moment"?  Or just output a status instead of a
> white, spinning page?
>
> Why not set a sane filtering timeout by default?
>
> Does filtering try to filter the *entire mailbox*, or just the N messages
> being displayed?  If it's just the N messages, perhaps it should only
> filter those N, which means yeah, your main page may have <N (or even 0)
> messages on it.
>
> Why is debugger/multilogin broken?
>
> Why does a hit to login.php not expire the session?
>
> Why is there no logout.php -- just a page that does nothing but kill
> sessions and reset?
>
> Apologies for the rant, but I've poured about 12 hours of my time trying
> various debugs on this -- tweaking and even recompiling PHP, and I think
> there's got to be a better way.  The fact that this is a "core" plugin,
> especially, would seem to imply it should be better behaved.

List address: [hidden email]
List archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.user

Re: Blank Screen after login

Dan Mahoney, System Admin
Answers inline.

Sent from my iPad

On Aug 5, 2013, at 9:21, Paul Lesniewski <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> * Finally, on a hunch, I disabled the "filters" plugin.  Access came back
>> to normal.  I'm still not sure that this "solved the problem" but my user
>> is happy, so I'm sticking with it.
>
> Have you tried sniffing the IMAP port?  You could watch the full IMAP
> conversation and perhaps get a better idea of where things break down.
> However, it's quite well documented on the lists and our website that
> the filters plugin is bad news.  If you're not doing server side,
> delivery time filtering, you're asking for problems.  The other thing
> to check is how much incoming mail such users have and how many
> filters they have and whether or not they have chosen to filter only
> unread mail.

I did, both by putting imapd in most-debug mode, as well as with TCPdump.  Per my original post, the conversation actually stops between PHP and imap while things spin -- forever, even on a new TCP connection.  I still don't understand why that would block me from hitting login.php again, and getting a new login prompt, that still feels broken.

I also would say that if this plugin is such Bad News, then perhaps it shouldn't ship with base.

People use the SM filters because it's the interface that's available to them -- I also have usermin on this system, and suspect I'm going to want to hack up the "filters" plugin to basically add a pointer to usermin's procmail module, or see if I can get one of the ones that actually handles your procmail rules for you working.

-Dan
List address: [hidden email]
List archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.user

Re: Blank Screen after login

Paul Lesniewski
On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 2:17 PM, Dan Mahoney <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Answers inline.
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On Aug 5, 2013, at 9:21, Paul Lesniewski <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>> * Finally, on a hunch, I disabled the "filters" plugin.  Access came back
>>> to normal.  I'm still not sure that this "solved the problem" but my user
>>> is happy, so I'm sticking with it.
>>
>> Have you tried sniffing the IMAP port?  You could watch the full IMAP
>> conversation and perhaps get a better idea of where things break down.
>> However, it's quite well documented on the lists and our website that
>> the filters plugin is bad news.  If you're not doing server side,
>> delivery time filtering, you're asking for problems.  The other thing
>> to check is how much incoming mail such users have and how many
>> filters they have and whether or not they have chosen to filter only
>> unread mail.
>
> I did, both by putting imapd in most-debug mode, as well as with TCPdump.  Per my original post, the conversation actually stops between PHP and imap while things spin -- forever, even on a new TCP connection.  I still don't understand why that would block me from hitting login.php again, and getting a new login prompt, that still feels broken.
>
> I also would say that if this plugin is such Bad News, then perhaps it shouldn't ship with base.

The Filters plugin doesn't have issues just hanging without
explanation.  That's going to be something in your system that's Bad
News.

> People use the SM filters because it's the interface that's available to them -- I also have usermin on this system, and suspect I'm going to want to hack up the "filters" plugin to basically add a pointer to usermin's procmail module, or see if I can get one of the ones that actually handles your procmail rules for you working.

Did you even read the link I pointed you to?

List address: [hidden email]
List archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.user

Re: Blank Screen after login

"Tóth Attila"
If a php page goes blank, I always start looking for where php put its
messages. I would first check the php config where I'm supposed to look
for error messages.
--
dr Tóth Attila, Radiológus, 06-20-825-8057
Attila Toth MD, Radiologist, +36-20-825-8057

2013.Augusztus 5.(H) 23:17 időpontban Dan Mahoney ezt írta:

> Answers inline.
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On Aug 5, 2013, at 9:21, Paul Lesniewski <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>> * Finally, on a hunch, I disabled the "filters" plugin.  Access came
>>> back
>>> to normal.  I'm still not sure that this "solved the problem" but my
>>> user
>>> is happy, so I'm sticking with it.
>>
>> Have you tried sniffing the IMAP port?  You could watch the full IMAP
>> conversation and perhaps get a better idea of where things break down.
>> However, it's quite well documented on the lists and our website that
>> the filters plugin is bad news.  If you're not doing server side,
>> delivery time filtering, you're asking for problems.  The other thing
>> to check is how much incoming mail such users have and how many
>> filters they have and whether or not they have chosen to filter only
>> unread mail.
>
> I did, both by putting imapd in most-debug mode, as well as with TCPdump.
> Per my original post, the conversation actually stops between PHP and imap
> while things spin -- forever, even on a new TCP connection.  I still don't
> understand why that would block me from hitting login.php again, and
> getting a new login prompt, that still feels broken.
>
> I also would say that if this plugin is such Bad News, then perhaps it
> shouldn't ship with base.
>
> People use the SM filters because it's the interface that's available to
> them -- I also have usermin on this system, and suspect I'm going to want
> to hack up the "filters" plugin to basically add a pointer to usermin's
> procmail module, or see if I can get one of the ones that actually handles
> your procmail rules for you working.
>
> -Dan
> List address: [hidden email]
> List archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.user
> List info (subscribe/unsubscribe/change options):

List address: [hidden email]
List archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.user

Re: Blank Screen after login

Dan Mahoney, System Admin
On Tue, 6 Aug 2013, "Tóth Attila" wrote:

> If a php page goes blank, I always start looking for where php put its
> messages. I would first check the php config where I'm supposed to look
> for error messages.

In this case, it doesn't help.  The page stays in a constant "loading"
state.  Nothing in any error logs, even with fairly high debug levels.

-Dan

On Mon, 5 Aug 2013, Paul Lesniewski wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 2:17 PM, Dan Mahoney <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Answers inline.
>>
>> Sent from my iPad

>>> Have you tried sniffing the IMAP port?  You could watch the full IMAP
>>> conversation and perhaps get a better idea of where things break down.
>>> However, it's quite well documented on the lists and our website that
>>> the filters plugin is bad news.  If you're not doing server side,
>>> delivery time filtering, you're asking for problems.  The other thing
>>> to check is how much incoming mail such users have and how many
>>> filters they have and whether or not they have chosen to filter only
>>> unread mail.
>>
>> I did, both by putting imapd in most-debug mode, as well as with TCPdump.  Per my original post, the conversation actually stops between PHP and imap while things spin -- forever, even on a new TCP connection.  I still don't understand why that would block me from hitting login.php again, and getting a new login prompt, that still feels broken.
>>
>> I also would say that if this plugin is such Bad News, then perhaps it shouldn't ship with base.
>
> The Filters plugin doesn't have issues just hanging without
> explanation.  That's going to be something in your system that's Bad
> News.

You may be right, but as I couldn't get the debug plugin to work
correctly, I can't tell where it is.  As stated, conversations between the
imapd and php just stopped.  I'm happy to let correlation imply causation
and say "I had a big problem, it stopped when I turned this off".  Given,
this may be like saying "I only hear my brakes squeal when I turn off the
radio", but in this case, the squeaky thing is the users, and they're no
longer complaining.

>> People use the SM filters because it's the interface that's available
>> to them -- I also have usermin on this system, and suspect I'm going to
>> want to hack up the "filters" plugin to basically add a pointer to
>> usermin's procmail module, or see if I can get one of the ones that
>> actually handles your procmail rules for you working.
>
> Did you even read the link I pointed you to?

Yes, and it was what caused me to try turning off filters to try and
alleviate this.  My main reason for posting was to get the symptoms
documented in case anyone else hits a similar problem.

-Dan

Re: Blank Screen after login

Paul Lesniewski
On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 11:44 AM, Dan Mahoney, System Admin
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, 5 Aug 2013, Paul Lesniewski wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 2:17 PM, Dan Mahoney <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Answers inline.
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPad

>>> I did, both by putting imapd in most-debug mode, as well as with TCPdump.
>>> Per my original post, the conversation actually stops between PHP and imap
>>> while things spin -- forever, even on a new TCP connection.  I still don't
>>> understand why that would block me from hitting login.php again, and getting
>>> a new login prompt, that still feels broken.
>>>
>>> I also would say that if this plugin is such Bad News, then perhaps it
>>> shouldn't ship with base.
>>

>> The Filters plugin doesn't have issues just hanging without
>> explanation.  That's going to be something in your system that's Bad
>> News.
>

> You may be right, but as I couldn't get the debug plugin to work correctly,

The Debug plugin won't help because your web server is hanging.

> I can't tell where it is.  As stated, conversations between the imapd and
> php just stopped.  I'm happy to let correlation imply causation and say "I
> had a big problem, it stopped when I turned this off".  Given, this may be
> like saying "I only hear my brakes squeal when I turn off the radio", but in
> this case, the squeaky thing is the users, and they're no longer
> complaining.

The Filters plugin is used widely and you are the first person I've
ever heard having this type of problem with it.  As far as I can tell,
you have configuration defaults or mail volumes that are making the
IMAP or web server choke (I already gave you suggestions re: these
things) in a way that is particular to your system only.

>>> People use the SM filters because it's the interface that's available to
>>> them -- I also have usermin on this system, and suspect I'm going to want to
>>> hack up the "filters" plugin to basically add a pointer to usermin's
>>> procmail module, or see if I can get one of the ones that actually handles
>>> your procmail rules for you working.
>>
>> Did you even read the link I pointed you to?
>
> Yes, and it was what caused me to try turning off filters to try and
> alleviate this.  My main reason for posting was to get the symptoms
> documented in case anyone else hits a similar problem.

You missed the part that explains what the alternatives are.  You
don't need to hack usermin into SquirrelMail.

List address: [hidden email]
List archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.user