Add new user to Squirrelmail

sirtom
I have Linux machine which runs on Debian. In /etc theres squirrelmail directory with config files in it.
Where do I start looking where are the user accounts for Squirrelmail. I need to add new user.
While I only know how to move between directories, exact commands how to I look which files and finally add new user would be really helpful. Need badly to add new user. Thank you.

Re: Add new user to Squirrelmail

Tomas Kuliavas
sirtom wrote
I have Linux machine which runs on Debian. In /etc theres squirrelmail directory with config files in it.
Where do I start looking where are the user accounts for Squirrelmail. I need to add new user.
While I only know how to move between directories, exact commands how to I look which files and finally add new user would be really helpful. Need badly to add new user. Thank you.
SquirrelMail does not manage user accounts. It works with any account accepted by your IMAP server.

See http://linux.die.net/man/8/adduser, http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ and
http://www.tldp.org/LDP/sag/html/managing-users.html or run 'man adduser' command on Debian. If you use Gnome, see System -> Administration -> Users and Groups

If that server was setup by someone else, you might have to use different tools to create new email user account. It depends on your setup.

Re: Add new user to Squirrelmail

Helmut Hullen
Hallo, sirtom,

Du meintest am 07.07.10:

> I have Linux machine which runs on Debian. In /etc theres
> squirrelmail directory with config files in it.
> Where do I start looking where are the user accounts for
> Squirrelmail. I need to add new user.

That's no squirrelmail problem but a debian problem.

        man useradd
        man adduser

may help.

Viele Gruesse!
Helmut

Re: Add new user to Squirrelmail

Res-2

On Wed, 7 Jul 2010, sirtom wrote:

> I have Linux machine which runs on Debian. In /etc theres squirrelmail
> directory with config files in it.
> Where do I start looking where are the user accounts for Squirrelmail. I
> need to add new user.

you don't, think of SM as a 'pretty interface' for what the system already
installs and uses by default, in other words, system users, since I assume
by your comments you are not experienced and therefor wont be running
virtual users.

> While I only know how to move between directories, exact
commands how to I
> look which files and finally add new user would be really helpful. Need
> badly to add new user. Thank you.
> --

perhaps you should seek out and join a debian list if you are after
hand-holding, this is *not* the list for that, adding users is not the job
of SM.

--
Res

"What does Windows have that Linux doesn't?" - One hell of a lot of bugs!

Re: Add new user to Squirrelmail

sirtom
Thanks for everyone's help. Got it solved by just adding new user to Debian. Did not know that. But it worked.

Re: Add new user to Squirrelmail

LoritaSacko